Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2013, 20:57   #1

Best marine transmission?

I'm looking to re-power with a V1505 Kabota diesel. They are sold under many brand names: Beta 38, Nani 37.5, Phasor P4-37-05, WM35, etc....

They all offer different transmissions and I haven't a clue. Which is best? The TMC 60, ZF10 through 15, Twin Disc, or the PRM 120.

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) that they can share?

John
Bambolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 21:06   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Best marine transmission?

Do not consider the ZF10 - 15. Twin Disc has a good reputation. I don't know the other two.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 22:25   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

On the other hand my HBM-150 (ZF-15) was in my boat for 20 years before the motor gave up at over 7000 hours.

It's kind of a toss up, and how they're set up. Just get the heaviest tranny for continuos use that'll fit the motor and you'll not have to worry as long as the linkage is set up properly. BTW a faster spinning prop/short pitch to boat size/weight will put less strain on the clutches. A high pitch prop works the clutches and heats the tranny.
Old 19-01-2013, 05:12   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I'm with Del on the Hurth/ZF. 2500hrs on my HBW 150 with no problems.
Old 19-01-2013, 11:58   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Nanni 43 (Kubota) with ZF10: original one lasted circa 1500 hours with PO, replaced when I bought the boat 10 years ago. This one now has circa 2900 hours and so far no worries. One apparent secret is to use proper quality ATF and change it when you change engine oil.

But, if given the choice I might not go with the Hurth/ZF design, for there have been a lot of folks with problems with them.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19-01-2013, 13:06   #6
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Having just wiped my hands from finishing an overhaul a small ZF box I can thoroughly recommend Twindisc.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 13:52   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I'll second the recommendation that you use the heaviest duty transmission that will fit.

It may cost less than a boat buck more and the peace of mind every time you click into gear is priceless.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 14:08   #8

It's a tough one. I too have had great luck with the Hurth style. But there have a a few posts on this forum by people who are pretty frustrated with them. My guess is installation or model appllication must be the issue. Some transmissions are extremely expensive to buy and or rebuild.... like Velvet Drive...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 15:00   #9
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It's a tough one. I too have had great luck with the Hurth style. But there have a a few posts on this forum by people who are pretty frustrated with them. My guess is installation or model appllication must be the issue. Some transmissions are extremely expensive to buy and or rebuild.... like Velvet Drive...
I'm not seeing the big price on velvet drive. When I researched found rebuilt warranteed velvet drive for $750 good to 200 hp. Hurth hbw50 rebuilt same warranty $1600 good to 30hp.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 17:14   #10

maybe I've got the wrong transmission... what was the other big tranny oft used in the 80's, 70's...? The price I got was $4500 for a rebuilt one! about the same price as a engine rebuild on that boat!
Update; I stand corrected, the rebuilt price for a 71C Velvet drives seems to run $1600-2200. Last summer I priced a rebuilt 71C V Drive...maybe that was the upcost..

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 18:17   #11

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
I have a pair of hurth hbw 450 coupled to 175 HP Hinos, over 1500 hours with no problems. I use synthetic ATF because it runs cooler & change between 90 & 100 hours. If I ever do have any problems I'll have to change them out because of parts availability. I hope they hold up because I like how they operate & don't want to spend the $$$$ for new units. I'll have to eventually replace the drive plate I thought when I did that I'ld re-seal & re-bearing the 450s but have had no luck finding kits.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 18:56   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I have a pair of hurth hbw 450 coupled to 175 HP Hinos, over 1500 hours with no problems. I use synthetic ATF because it runs cooler & change between 90 & 100 hours. If I ever do have any problems I'll have to change them out because of parts availability. I hope they hold up because I like how they operate & don't want to spend the $$$$ for new units. I'll have to eventually replace the drive plate I thought when I did that I'ld re-seal & re-bearing the 450s but have had no luck finding kits.
I believe the bearings and seals are standard industrial hardware. Buy SKF or Fagg, none of the chinese stuff. Gaskets you can make. There may be some shims spacing the bearings, so take note on disassembly.
Old 30-01-2013, 20:16   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

My Pearson came with a Velvet Drive, 1984 with about 2000 hours on it. I only have about 100 hours on it since I bought the boat but the PO reports it is all original and never had a problem.

When I first bought the boat I called Beta to price a new engine/transmission. When I told the salesmen the boat had a Velvet drive he immediately said keep the transmission, rebuild it if needed instead of buying another model new. Sounds like a pretty good recommendation to me.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 14:29   #14

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

I believe the bearings and seals are standard industrial hardware. Buy SKF or Fagg, none of the chinese stuff. Gaskets you can make. There may be some shims spacing the bearings, so take note on disassembly.
Bearings & seals I'am sure can be had & I've made a lot of gaskets, may be able to substitute silicone or locktite gasket maker for some. From what I've read there is a thrust washer that is a wear item that is very difficult to find. I imagine other hard parts are also in short supply and will only get more so over time. With proper care & operation I hope to squeeze all the hours I can out of them.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 16:14   #15
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Here's where to find your parts for hbw450.

Marine Transmission Parts Seattle, Buy Marine Transmission Parts Online
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, transmission