Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2015, 06:11   #1

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)
Bad noise from autopilot pump motor

I hate to admit it but it I haven't been paying enough attention to the mechanical side of my autopilot system (idiot) and now it's giving me trouble. The electronics are fine. I have a Simrad RPU300 reversible hydraulic pump and a large brass Hynuatic ram of unknown model number.

I did the Marion to Bermuda race in June which was a total of 1400 miles of mostly very rough seas. So the AP was tortured with heavy usage. The sound of the mechanics changed over time which I knew was a warning sign but there were too many other things to worry about, and somehow I didn't attend to it. I've never had to touch this system in the 4 years I've had this boat, but never used it so much either. I'm kicking myself for this now, as I know better.

Yesterday I started an 18 day cruise to Maine and the AP stopped actuating the ram not far from home. I discovered the system was very low on fluid so topped it up in the expansion reservoir and did the purging as directed. This seems to get it all working again but still with a wrong noise. At first I thought it was because of low oil in the ram and I was hearing friction, but now I'm quite sure the noise is either in the motor itself or in the valve on top of the motor. Hard to tell exactly which. Either way I'd love to here some advice on what to look for and what to do. If I have to replace the whole thing that's fine, but have to figure out how to get one somewhere on my voyage in Maine.

Experience? Thoughts?

Thanks,

JR

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 19:05   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Bad noise from autopilot pump motor

There was a very recent thread where a member rebuilt his motor and pump. May be a different motor but should give you some idea.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ir-147024.html

Also for the pump
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ild-76936.html
I hope it helps.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, motor, noise