Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 26-05-2015, 01:35   #436
Registered User
 
Yachts66's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the Jungle, on an Island near the beach
Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
Posts: 654
Images: 15
Re: Autoprop ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
We put good quality electical tape around the circumference of the zinc base on our Maxiprop to help delay the erosion of the zinc at the mounting holes. I was very surprised that this would work. I thought the tape would not stay on (it did but clean the area well first). And I didn't think it would affect the metal as much as it did. It dramatically improved the useful life of the zincs.

I cleaned the zinc with acetone or alcohol first, used 3M 33Super electrical tape, and put it on tight and neat. Just two complete wraps.
Yes, however, doesn't the tape also reduce the effectiveness of the anode, thus failing to give the prop the protection the anode is supposed to give it?
__________________

__________________
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing! Ben Franklin
Yachts66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 05:12   #437
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,072
Re: Autoprop ?

I think there is way too much concern about these plastic screws that don't seem to break.
If you don't like them, replace them with SS, they aren't any kind of special thread.
Myself I've ordered the adapter from Islers diving, should put it on this weekend. I did that not because the Autoprop anode doesn't work, it does, just I like the idea of "standard" parts whenever possible.
As far as I can tell so far operation wise my Autoprop is better than any other prop I've been around.
It really shines motor sailing as it will auto pitch up to keep producing thrust when your getting significant speed from the sails. No other prop I know of that is available for small boats will do that.

Anode and plastic screws is such a non problem, if that's all I have to worry about then I don't have a concern.

I have found that my Autoprop is more sensitive to growth reducing performance than a standard fixed three blade is, or it seems to be anyway.

So far the only weakness to this prop I've found is it's cost, it ain't cheap.
__________________

__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 05:22   #438
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,764
Re: Autoprop ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think there is way too much concern about these plastic screws that don't seem to break.
If you don't like them, replace them with SS, they aren't any kind of special thread.
Myself I've ordered the adapter from Islers diving, should put it on this weekend. I did that not because the Autoprop anode doesn't work, it does, just I like the idea of "standard" parts whenever possible.
As far as I can tell so far operation wise my Autoprop is better than any other prop I've been around.
It really shines motor sailing as it will auto pitch up to keep producing thrust when your getting significant speed from the sails. No other prop I know of that is available for small boats will do that.

Anode and plastic screws is such a non problem, if that's all I have to worry about then I don't have a concern.

I have found that my Autoprop is more sensitive to growth reducing performance than a standard fixed three blade is, or it seems to be anyway.
It's been said many times before, but motorsailing with the Autoprop is simply brilliant. You don't even have to change throttle setting as the wind comes and goes -- the prop pitches and repitches constantly to match the load.

This is really important for the way I sail, and probably many other cruisers. Motor sailing is my principle light air sail. I almost never have enough crew to fly a spinnaker or even to carry out sail changes, so I have to make do with white sails. At this latitude, the white sails can't be too big. So I do more motor sailing than straight motoring, which I really only do in a dead calm. With a regular prop, you're just churning up the water motorsailing, when the load is so much different from the standard pure motoring load the prop was designed for.

On the down side, the Autoprop definitely produces more drag than the Maxprop when sailing. I can see the turbulence produce by the prop, behind the boat, while sailing, which is very bad. I would like to see a redesign of this with springs to pull the blades back. It would add complexity, but surely would be worth it.
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 19:13   #439
Registered User
 
Latchdaddy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Boat: TBD
Posts: 34
Re: Autoprop ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
Yes, however, doesn't the tape also reduce the effectiveness of the anode, thus failing to give the prop the protection the anode is supposed to give it?
I agree - the tape acts as an insulator and prevents the anode from doing its job!!.
__________________
_____________
Latchdaddy... aka Heartysailorman
Latchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:41   #440
Marine Service Provider
 
Har2015's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Southeast Louisiana
Posts: 20
Re: Autoprop ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchdaddy View Post
I agree - the tape acts as an insulator and prevents the anode from doing its job!!.

Another option that doesn't act as an insulator is using simple fingernail polish along the thinnest part of the anode where it would normally wear away rapidly. Painting a strip of the anode along that area tends to slow the depletion process in that area. At least long enough to get more bang for your buck out of the anode.


Harbor Diving Services, LLC

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Har2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:48   #441
Marine Service Provider
 
Har2015's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Southeast Louisiana
Posts: 20
Re: Autoprop ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I disagree with this sentiment. Have you ever broken one of those flimsy POS off in the hole? I have, more than once. Without exception, every single other prop in the world that requires screws to attach an anode uses stainless or monel screws. Why? Because they too are corrosion resistant but unlike the Autoprop screws, are very strong. Like most aspects of Autoprop, the anode attachment screws are a poorly-conceived design for their intended purpose.

I agree with fstbttms, I was actually surprised when introduced to my first autoprop. So much so that I took a picture of it. Haha! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1436712390.024711.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	105201

However, sailors, and especially us divers, tend to be mechanically inclined, so simply replace the nylon screws with stainless machine panhead screws. Works like a champ! ::thumbs up::


Harbor Diving Services, LLC

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Har2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:23   #442
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,764
Re: Autoprop ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborDiving View Post
I agree with fstbttms, I was actually surprised when introduced to my first autoprop. So much so that I took a picture of it. Haha! Attachment 105201

However, sailors, and especially us divers, tend to be mechanically inclined, so simply replace the nylon screws with stainless machine panhead screws. Works like a champ! ::thumbs up::


Harbor Diving Services, LLC

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yes, but what is depicted in your photo is not failed screws. Those screws are fine.

What is depicted is an anode which wasted around the screw holes and fell off. A different problem.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-Ítre pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:28   #443
Marine Service Provider
 
fstbttms's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Posts: 3,594
Re: Autoprop ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchdaddy View Post
I agree - the tape acts as an insulator and prevents the anode from doing its job!!.
This is simply not the case. While I am not a big fan of the tape solution (for a number of reasons), it is quite effective and seems not to noticeably diminish the anode's ability to protect the prop.
__________________
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 15:58   #444
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,767
Re: Autoprop ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
It's been said many times before, but motorsailing with the Autoprop is simply brilliant. You don't even have to change throttle setting as the wind comes and goes -- the prop pitches and repitches constantly to match the load.

This is really important for the way I sail, and probably many other cruisers. Motor sailing is my principle light air sail. I almost never have enough crew to fly a spinnaker or even to carry out sail changes, so I have to make do with white sails. At this latitude, the white sails can't be too big. So I do more motor sailing than straight motoring, which I really only do in a dead calm. With a regular prop, you're just churning up the water motorsailing, when the load is so much different from the standard pure motoring load the prop was designed for.

On the down side, the Autoprop definitely produces more drag than the Maxprop when sailing. I can see the turbulence produce by the prop, behind the boat, while sailing, which is very bad. I would like to see a redesign of this with springs to pull the blades back. It would add complexity, but surely would be worth it.
I had one for several years and agree with what you say regarding motorsailing. Autoprop has only a minus that can be of no big importance if you have an engine with lots of power for the boat: On dificult circumstances the performance is a lot worse then with other propellers.

I felt that on my previous boat going upwind against steep waves: Not the same power as the previous fixed propeller. Later on a test on a British magazine (Yachting monthly?) I saw that confirmed on a test with many foldable propellers: One of the tests was the pulling force and for that they connected the boat to a dynamometer at the quay and pulled at full engine (always the same boat). The pulling power of the autoprop was just lousy compared with some of the others and if I can remember right, by far the lowest of all.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 01:06   #445
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 13
Re: Autoprop ?

Hi I have a 50'cat with 50hp Yanmar saildrives. Used Autoprop for 3 seasons before the rubber bushing failed requiring a 4 week $1000+ turnaround. When the other one failed the same way the next season I decided not to throw good money after bad and went with Max Props. The autoprops were brilliant performers in most respects (maxprops have better drive into the wind IMO) but I can't personally tolerate the unreliability.
__________________
Metalcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 05:23   #446
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,072
Re: Autoprop ?

Rubber bushing?
Is it internal? I know there are bearings of course and I assume a grease seal, but I didn't know of any bushing?
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 05:34   #447
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Boat: Victoire 1122
Posts: 107
Re: Autoprop ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Rubber bushing?
Is it internal? I know there are bearings of course and I assume a grease seal, but I didn't know of any bushing?
Must be the bushing specifically for saildrives. It's required for damping and electrical insulation.
__________________
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 07:26   #448
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 13
Re: Autoprop ?

Yes it is an internal rubber bushing that is between the hub and the shaft. Both times it looked melted or debonded.
__________________
Metalcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 20:56   #449
Marine Service Provider
 
Har2015's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Southeast Louisiana
Posts: 20
Re: Autoprop ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Yes, but what is depicted in your photo is not failed screws. Those screws are fine.

What is depicted is an anode which wasted around the screw holes and fell off. A different problem.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Yes - you are correct. My photo wasn't intended to depict worn screws. Sorry for the confusion.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Har2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 23:51   #450
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Posts: 255
Re: Autoprop ?

I know this is an old thread but I'm looking for advice. My Autoprop anode disappeared - popped off, leaving the 3 nylon bolts behind. I dove and removed two (had to use pliers) but the third wouldn't budge and sheared off.
Any way I can get the nylon bolt half out while in the water? Next haul out isn't planned till 9 months from now and the summer cruising season is starting now.
Someone in this thread suggested pounding a sharp screwdriver blade into it. I'm skeptical of that because I wasn't able to pound a screwdriver into one even out of the water. The nylon is hard and only 3/8" wide.
Something like a screw extractor might work but those are intended to have drilled a pilot hole first, and I can't operate a drill underwater.
I have 2 shaft zincs left that are only 20% wasted. But those don't protect the prop because it's brass?
__________________

__________________
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Autoprop Propeller wunscot Classifieds Archive 7 16-01-2010 13:16
Autoprop - Used Value Conch Cruzer Monohull Sailboats 4 30-07-2009 18:11
Used Autoprop For Sale Conch Cruzer Classifieds Archive 0 27-05-2009 05:15
H5 AutoProp Hub markpj23 Classifieds Archive 0 08-03-2009 13:45



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:52.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.