Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2019, 11:13   #16

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC
Re: Are folding props worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydays View Post
Like most things it does depend on what kind of sailing you’re planning. For us cruising we had a Volvo folding prop but have now switched to a feathering prop and it’s better still. Make a big difference over distance .
This will be part of my upgrades to prepare for more long distance cruising, Bahamas, Caribbean. And yes, I understand that the difference will be more noticeable at lower speeds. The consensus seems to be that it is worth it for my boat and my intended cruising destinations.

So now, what to get? There seems to be strong support for the Maxprop. Should I go with two or three blades? What size? Remember, I need two of them so price is more of a concern.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 11:28   #17

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

First, believe it is commonly advised to lock the prop from spinning when sailing. A spinning prop in neutral will cause wear on the transmission. After stopping the engine and starting sailing, shift to reverse and you should check the shaft to be sure it is not rotating. This is true with any fixed blade prop and also for feathering props. With a 2 blade folding prop, after stopping engine you csn leave it in neutral then optionally for absolute best drag reduction, go below and rotate the shaft by hand to a pre- marked angle at which the blades are vertical, meaning that neither blade will hang down by gravity and cause friction.

A 2 blade folding prop is the least expensive way to improve your boat speed under sail though it will be less powerful than a 3 blade fixed or feathering prop. You should see about 0.7 to 1 knot of boat speed improvement in sailing average conditions, and be prepared for a less power motoring upwind and in reverse, compared to fixed 3 blader.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 11:49   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
First, believe it is commonly advised to lock the prop from spinning when sailing. A spinning prop in neutral will cause wear on the transmission. After stopping the engine and starting sailing, shift to reverse and you should check the shaft to be sure it is not rotating. This is true with any fixed blade prop and also for feathering props.
I don't think you will find this advice on CF and the subject has been discussed many times before on here.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 12:49   #19

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Just finished a circumnavigation with my maxprop. I agree with the above posts but one important advantage has been ignored. There is slightly less forward power but there is almost as much power in reverse as there is in forward. That means if you accidently run up onto something you have a much better chance of backing off it. As someone who lost a boat on a reef it's a big safety advantage.
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 13:08   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
First off, feathering (maxprop) is MUCH better than a folding prop.

M
I’ve had both and that definitely isn’t true. But I’m not going to hijack the thread to do the argument again
Old 26-06-2019, 13:21   #21

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Yest they are. Try Gori or something similar. Prop drag reduces passage making speeds by as much as one knot or more. Also that noise is bloody annoying after a while--and it also wears your gearbox bearings.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 13:52   #22

I was wondering how much service these props need? Obviously no one wants a prop stuck folded right before a rough harbor approach.
Old 26-06-2019, 14:26   #23

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig

If you are using an electric motor or planning to use one, the fixed blade helps regain the batteries for the main motor. Electricyatchs.com has examples of this system. Seriously looking at one for my Ranger 28 and getting the cheaper non regen system (sport) as I have a folding 2 blade and the Ranger is set up for fun races. cheers!
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 14:29   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I’ve had both and that definitely isn’t true. But I’m not going to hijack the thread to do the argument again

Not hihacking at all. Although the title of the thread says "folding props" I didn't really realize the difference between folding and feathering until I started doing my homework. My reading so far suggests that for me, feathering might be better. I'm particularly swayed by the performance difference in reverse. What are the advantages of folding over feathering?
Old 26-06-2019, 14:42   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hello, Jerry,

I don't know if it would be the same for a small catamaran as it is for monohulls, but for us on one mono, the change from a 3 blade to a 2 blade folder was 1.5 kn boat speed in light air. Towing a 3 blade prop is like towing a bucket behind you. Of course, a mono has both skin friction and weight against it in light airs.

Ann
It is except twice as much drag from 2 props and 2x the cost to upgrade! [emoji849]

I had similar gains by going from 3 blade fixed to 3 blade feathering on a 35 cat. It was like a different boat.

Performance was better than 3 blade fixed free wheeling...it takes force to turn that prop and some of the drive mechanism so it still creates significant drag, plus noise & wear.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 14:51   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
It is except twice as much drag from 2 props and 2x the cost to upgrade! [emoji849]

I had similar gains by going from 3 blade fixed to 3 blade feathering on a 35 cat. It was like a different boat.

Thanks, that's the best reason yet I have heard to make the switch, as your boat is more similar to mine. What engines and drive do you have on the Wildcat?
Old 26-06-2019, 14:54   #27

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
Thanks, that's the best reason yet I have heard to make the switch, as your boat is more similar to mine. What engines and drive do you have on the Wildcat?
Volvo MD2020s.

Installed Kiwi Props. I would like to compare them to FlexOFold...which by some magic claim better performance under power than fixed for some applications.

I paced an FP Belize 42 with 2 blade fixed props after the install in about 15 knots wind. He installed Kiwi's after that. He was pleased w the gains too. I bet I cant pace him now. [emoji53]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 15:21   #28

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Why do you believe that? Just curious.

Max prop is more efficient, blades are designed to push water (rather than designed to fold flat). Less area presented when feathered, able to change the pitch, no possibility of a blade sticking folded, no vibration, works very efficiently in reverse, 3 or 4 blades, easy to clean when in the water ( stable blades you can push against and scrape).
M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 16:49   #29
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
Not hihacking at all. Although the title of the thread says "folding props" I didn't really realize the difference between folding and feathering until I started doing my homework. My reading so far suggests that for me, feathering might be better. I'm particularly swayed by the performance difference in reverse. What are the advantages of folding over feathering?
I’m had both. Didn’t to be any difference in reverse. FOF definitely seems better in forward and on my current bigger fuel mileage is better than my last boat that was a little smaller. FOF needs no maintenance and was $1000 less expense.

But it matters little to me which others want
Old 26-06-2019, 16:52   #30
CLOD

You people should spend more time reading tests and less time reading marketing spin