Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2018, 02:57   #1

Boat: S&S 34
"Advice Needed to Upgrade my Hynautic Hydraulic AP Drive."

Hydraulic Autopilot Ram unit issues
Really need some help here guys as this gear is expensive, there seems to be only a reseller (not a proper dealer) for this stuff here in Australia and I therefore will probably have to order it from U.S...So I have to get it right...Anyway. It also seems that Hynautic were taken over a few years ago which also doesn't help.

I have recently bought an Ericson 46 sailboat weighing about 20,000kg fully laden for cruising.

I'm getting her ready for long distance cruising and my autopilot keeps failing. I've recalibrated it several times, had look at the mechanics which look fine, but hey, I'm not an expert!...
The AP computer is a Raymarine st7008 - at least 10 years old. I have mechanical steering and Hynautic hydraulic autopilot cylinder Ram with a Type 1 Raymarine pump. I'm told that this is very flimsy for the weight of the boat... I think the Hynautic Cylinder is a K1B (HC5369HY) because it has a ball joint..I think I need a Hynautic K3B (HC5802HY), with a Type 3 pump (I want to stick with Hynautic cylinder with a hope that the new unit will use the same mounts).

A few questions:
1. Am I right to assume I need more robust gear, and have I got the correct pump/cylinder combination for my boat?
2.Who can I get the gear from
3. Will I get any customer service?...and if so, who from?
Old 28-05-2018, 05:00   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: This is doing my head in!

It would be helpful if you provided more detailed information than "keeps failing". How does it fail, when does it fail...basically all the particulars of what you're experiencing. There are a lot of different things that can go wrong with an autopilot from the compass, the computer, the ram, the connections etc.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 10:01   #3

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: This is doing my head in!

It could also help you get the answer you need if your thread title gave some indication of your subject, and/or issue.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:06   #4

Re: "Advice Needed to Upgrade my Hynautic Hydraulic AP Drive."

Hynautic was bought by Sea Star in Vancouver, Canada. Perhaps an e mail to them can get an evaluation of your system....

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote