Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2017, 18:01   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Antigua 37
Accessing fouled saildrive well

Evening all

Coming to the end of prep for barrier coat application. The last area that needs addressing are the saildrive wells.

The old boots (if indeed there were any) are long gone and all manner of seagoing critters have fouled the inside of these wells. Access is very limited, there is obviously room to access the drive leg fixing bolts but not enough room to get in and prep the surface. The well is quite large in volume but closes by way of a solid flange (part of the hull) to within 3 inches of the drive leg to the sides and a couple of inches at the front and back.

So I remove the drive leg to get enough space to get in a clean, sand and apply barrier coat or just leave well alone and just fashion a new fairing plate and seal?

If I remove what exactly is entailed in removing the drive leg? I have downloaded the service manual but it didn't make clear to me what's involved.

Hoping for the usual helpful advice.

Regards

Richard
Fluffflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 19:52   #2

Location: Jane Bay, Barkley Sound, West Coast Vancouver Island
Boat: Cooper, Banner 37'
Re: Accessing fouled saildrive well

You haven't mentioned the make of your drive, so my experiance with a volvo 110s may not apply.

Our drive was held on by 6 (I think) bolts. Getting it off is easy, just watch out for the weight. Getting back on, however, can be an exercise in frustration. The frustrating part is trying to blindly get the bolts aligned with the holes.

My sanity was saved by a marine mechanic, who heard my distress, and showed me the easy way. You get 2 bolts that are the same diameter & thread, but longer. Cut the heads off and finger tighten them into the threaded holes. Align the drive, place the gasket and slide it up those headless bolts into place. Install a couple of the proper bolts, take out the headless ones, and finish installing. Torque the bolts to factory specs.
seamountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 04:42   #3

Sorry for not detailing the make. Yanmar SD 20's.
Old 15-01-2017, 05:45   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamountie View Post
... You get 2 bolts that are the same diameter & thread, but longer. Cut the heads off and finger tighten them into the threaded holes. Align the drive, place the gasket and slide it up those headless bolts into place. Install a couple of the proper bolts, take out the headless ones, and finish installing. Torque the bolts to factory specs.
You might also saw a slot into the the cut end of these aligning bolts. Might make it a little easier to remove.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 18:01   #5

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamountie View Post
My sanity was saved by a marine mechanic, who heard my distress, and showed me the easy way. You get 2 bolts that are the same diameter & thread, but longer. Cut the heads off and finger tighten them into the threaded holes. Align the drive, place the gasket and slide it up those headless bolts into place. Install a couple of the proper bolts, take out the headless ones, and finish installing. Torque the bolts to factory specs.
That is a really great idea. Love those 'tricks of the trade' from mechanics who have been around the block a few times!
Old 15-01-2017, 18:02   #6

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You might also saw a slot into the the cut end of these aligning bolts. Might make it a little easier to remove.
And that is another great trick of the trade! I was initially thinking vise-grips but this would work great.
Old 15-01-2017, 18:15   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

While the ideas for putting a leg back on are great and I could be wrong but I am not sure I would bother anti-fouling that space at all until a leg had to come out mechanical reasons.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 19:53   #8

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffflinger View Post
Evening all
So I remove the drive leg to get enough space to get in a clean, sand and apply barrier coat or just leave well alone and just fashion a new fairing plate and seal?
Richard
...or maybe, as my friend (Hanse 34) and others have done with their SD 20 wells.
Insert low density Polystyrene expandable foam,
it is said to eliminate/fill large space for nasties to grow, provide some
extra lift/flotation??, provide additional attachment area for boot, and maybe
provide some comfort to those concerned with large hole in hull.

I have not done on my SD20 as I have been fortunate that my boot has
been in place with ...thinking Boat life/life calk ...for last 6-7 years.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 08:39   #9

Well it would appear that to drop the leg you have to move the engine forward several inches to fully dis-engage the the drive gear.

That is not happening so it will be over to my wife's small hands to get in and clean up as best we can and then fashion another boot.

The only saving grace is that fixing a frame to hold in a new boot will be easy as I have a solid flange into which I can screw.

I will probably tape some plastic over that the well area lay up some glass and than tape another layer of plastic over that lay up. Should be no problem to shape that after it has cured and then slide on a boot tuck that under the new glass fairing plate and screw that to the flange on both sides. This will mean I can have a one piece fairing plate and not have to make something in two halves. I also think a mechanical fixing is better than relying on Lifecaulk or 5200 to hold the boot in place. Suggestions for boot material, old truck inner tube???
Old 16-01-2017, 09:12   #10

I would double check that. It sounds like you are talking about taking the entire saildrive unit off. No need. To clear the well you only have to remove the leg from the transmission. You would have to move the engine to disconnect the transmission from it. See the parts schematic right here on CF: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...7&d=1210030280
Old 16-01-2017, 09:17   #11

Thanks Richard. So just removing the leg is simply unbolt from the well and she drops out? That is what I had thought originally. Obviously I need to drain oil etc.

Would make my life easier to clean out well and re paint the outdrive.

best

Richard
Old 16-01-2017, 10:13   #12

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffflinger View Post
Suggestions for boot material, old truck inner tube???
Maybe a product like liquid rubber, (Flex Seal?) Lowe or Home Depot,,,advertised at night on TV.
Can pour/form to your required shape, thickness and cures to a flexible
rubber piece.
Been thinking of a use such as making own boot but have never used.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 12:15   #13

Yuppers, Richard. Just watch the weight. The lower drive on my volvo wasn't super heavy, but 'tweren't light either.

Have fun.
Richard
Old 16-01-2017, 14:21   #14

I cleaned out my wells with white vinegar. It dissolves all critters, or at the least it weakened the bond so I could pressure wash and scrape (with a plastic brush). I mixed the vinegar with some wall paper paste to make a mix that would stay on horizontal and vertical services, left it for a few days, then washed and scraped the buggers off. Seems like a lot of trouble to remove the saildrives to clean such a small area. I can't understand the benefit of a boot. They usually fall off, and will not make any difference to performance. And if they don't fall off, critters will still be able to get into the well. But, I am quite open to reasons why a boat is needed...
sirfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 14:25   #15

Sorry... typo error...I meant a 'boot ' is needed....
As for a boat....it's a want, not a need!
sirfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, saildrive