Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2019, 20:49   #31

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68
Re: Why aren't sailing instructors sailing?

Has anyone heard the story? Could it be true that when Usain Bolt was learning to sprint, he carried his coach on his back!

Is that what OP anticipates for dinghy coaches?
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 04:07   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Nice advice but you have to use a bit of common sense when training yourself.

Number one is don't go out when a crash jibe can break something.
But if you have no training, how are you supposed to know what conditions that represents? What if it's a nice day and a squall suddenly kicks up...remember we are talking about inexperienced sailors, not old salts who have been on the water for decades.

Also, the OP was talking about small sailing dinghies. They can get in trouble in very benign conditions...an inexperienced sailor leans to the downwind side to do something and suddenly the boat goes over. They panic and can't remember how to right the boat or worse, it hits them on the head as it goes over knocking them out.
- Teacher in a power boat is there in a couple minutes providing direction or if needed direct assistance.
- Teacher tacking upwind for 15-20 minutes could be pulling out a corpse.

Which one would you rather be when sitting in front of a jury?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 05:49   #33

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
[...]
So OP you had a couple of learners run in to your anchored boat and the instructor struggled to free it. And eventually you actually gave them a hand. Well wasn't that good of you. But then you have to start dissing the poor buggers that are out there week after week. Take a chill pill and if you've nothing nice to say, then say nothing.

That sums it up nicely, he just wanted to vent and stir up some people... rather sad indeed.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 07:27   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
But if you have no training, how are you supposed to know what conditions that represents? What if it's a nice day and a squall suddenly kicks up...remember we are talking about inexperienced sailors, not old salts who have been on the water for decades.

Also, the OP was talking about small sailing dinghies. They can get in trouble in very benign conditions...an inexperienced sailor leans to the downwind side to do something and suddenly the boat goes over. They panic and can't remember how to right the boat or worse, it hits them on the head as it goes over knocking them out.
- Teacher in a power boat is there in a couple minutes providing direction or if needed direct assistance.

Exactly my point. Sorry your child drowned, I was on the other side of the pack and tacking against the wind, but hey..............at least I was keeping it REAL. After all, you and the kid insisted on learning from a purist, right??
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 07:33   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
So, what kind of sailing instructor would use a powerboat? What kind of student would tolerate it?
I regularly went out in my rib with either an instructor or paid professional coach to help teach advanced stuff to the local windsurfing club. It was the only way we could keep up with a windsurfer on a beam reach and in a blow only just. It enabled the coach to concentrate on the windsurfer and not have to worry about steering or other users on the water, that was my job. worked well.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 15:08   #36

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

Like I said before, some of us learn best on our own and use the common sense approach which obviously doesn't include sailing on your first day when the wind is strong......

I have flipped and pitchpoled beach cats lots of times during the learning curve while racing.

I barely knew how to make the boat move when I started racing it.

You say some may not remember how to right the boat!? Ridiculous. That person will definitely need to be in a school situation. And if they don't remember, they are not that much into it at all or they would have remembered
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 15:40   #37

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

The instructor's engine can fail and he can't even sail to rescue anyone!

I even stated the instructor boat should be faster sailing boat and could even have an outboard on it for all I care in case of emergency, so all the arguments about safety are not really relevant anymore. Now it's actually safer than ever because he can still sail if the engine or propeller fouls.

Continuing to defend using a RIB and lack of skill on the part of the instructor is disheartening. Furthermore, it is a really bad example to others, especially kids to use a combustion engine for superfluous reasons. The rest of the world has a growing problem with america and australia believe it or not, it's statistically fact from polls, and it's because of wasteful consumption.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 16:34   #38

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

I even stated the instructor boat should be faster sailing boat and could even have an outboard on it for all I care in case of emergency, so all the arguments about safety are not really relevant anymore. Now it's actually safer than ever because he can still sail if the engine or propeller fouls.

Continuing to defend using a RIB and lack of skill on the part of the instructor is disheartening. Furthermore, it is a really bad example to others, especially kids to use a combustion engine for superfluous reasons. The rest of the world has a growing problem with america and australia believe it or not, it's statistically fact from polls, and it's because of wasteful consumption.

You’ve never taught a group of green fleet opti sailors have you?

I invite you to sit yourself down in a “sailboat faster than theirs” and keep the gaggle together and have time to observe and coach the kids as well as rescue the hopelessly capsized and flooded ones.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 16:46   #39
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Yes.... and his extra fast sailboat can get a multiple of failures in running or standing rigging.

What is your point other than you dislike outboards and the smell of their exhaust..... which somehow became the fault of sailing instructors????
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 16:47   #40

Boat: center console
Thumbs up Re: Why aren't sailing instructors sailing?

[QUOTE=taxwizz;2898406]And....Those that can't even teach.....Legislate !

And there you have it!
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 17:57   #41

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
And....Those that can't even teach.....Legislate !
Or write long posts on CF complaining about the methods used by those teaching.

Jim
Old 30-05-2019, 18:10   #42

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Quote:

Speaking of wastful things. Just wasted 2 minutes of my life reading this.
Then wasted an other minute posting this…..
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 18:35   #43

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Thanks for all the replies. My question has been answered.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 20:53   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. My question has been answered.
Yes, but did YOU learn anything from those who have been there?
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 23:38   #45

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
What a silly rant...

I taught sailing to adults for 8 years on boats ranging from j-24 to up to 50 footers. I was always on the boat with the students.

The kind of teaching you are describing is on dinghies, one or two person boats where there isn't ROOM for an instructor! You might as well ask why the coach of the collage crew team is not out on the shell rowing the boat with his students...
Absolutely.... here in Palermo harbor where we've been stuck a few weeks, there are always scullers and kayak students and little dinghy sailors. The powerboat coach tows the sailors thru the marina often tied end to end, then they practice in the bay, then towed back in. The motorboat is there because the students (often youngsters) capsize and need help, so if the coach were on his own lazer it would be sort of stupid tacking back to try and help a kiddo in trouble...

Edit: I should take a photo of the guy... he sits in a lawn chair on the back of the dinghy legs crossed at the knee all day long shouting.... lots of fun
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing