Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2019, 01:39   #46
cruiser

Re: Why aren't sailing instructors sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
The instructor's engine can fail and he can't even sail to rescue anyone!

I even stated the instructor boat should be faster sailing boat and could even have an outboard on it for all I care in case of emergency, so all the arguments about safety are not really relevant anymore. Now it's actually safer than ever because he can still sail if the engine or propeller fouls.

Continuing to defend using a RIB and lack of skill on the part of the instructor is disheartening. Furthermore, it is a really bad example to others, especially kids to use a combustion engine for superfluous reasons. The rest of the world has a growing problem with america and australia believe it or not, it's statistically fact from polls, and it's because of wasteful consumption.
This has to be one of your more ridiculous threads, of the many ridiculous and judgemental threads you’ve started over the years on this forum. Dissing the very people who are out promoting our sport, pastime and lifestyle, just because.... you find their gasoline fumes personally offensive.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 13:23   #47

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Yes, but did YOU learn anything from those who have been there?
Yes. I learned that the sailing instructors have the same attitude as most of the people who replied here.

People who like to waste energy and don't want to pay for the cost of their actions.

I've watched 8 year old rock the sailing dingy with rudder and sail to scull along at 3 knots in a calm. No need to tow anyone if wind dies, sorry.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 13:36   #48

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Yes. I learned that the sailing instructors have the same attitude as most of the people who replied here.

People who like to waste energy and don't want to pay for the cost of their actions.

I've watched 8 year old rock the sailing dingy with rudder and sail to scull along at 3 knots in a calm. No need to tow anyone if wind dies, sorry.

And that’s a rock star 8 year old.....they’re not all like that.

You’ve got one of the narrowest world views of anyone who differs from your ideals as I’ve ever seen, so narrow as to make your arguments easily dismissed.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 17:07   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:

I see that you are unwilling to pay for the cost of your actions.

You have been unwilling to learn from those who have had professional training in small boat sailing instruction. You cannot even pay the simple cost of learning from others with more experience than you.

You waste other peoples time and will not pay the cost by changing your mine.

Sad.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 17:27   #50

Boat: Bristol 27

It does seem strange at times though that folks actually pay for sailing lessons.

In the 1990's (and before) along the Gulf Coast, they rented Hobie 16's to anyone. If you had never sailed before, they gave you about 10-15 minutes of instruction then let you have at it.

Hobie 16's are much harder to keep under control than your average monohull sailboat

After a few days, some of us were ready to race...….

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 21:24   #51
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:

Lol, we have all just been schooled on "recreational complaining."
Y'all have a nice day Alex! [emoji4]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:12   #52

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
And that’s a rock star 8 year old.....they’re not all like that.

You’ve got one of the narrowest world views of anyone who differs from your ideals as I’ve ever seen, so narrow as to make your arguments easily dismissed.
I must have a narrow mind for not wanting to wake up to carcinogenic fumes.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:22   #53

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that the state of California has found pine cone smoke to be carcinogenic.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:23   #54

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

The future of sailing is dependent on passionate coaches driving those crash boats and taking personal and professional responsibility for all those kids. I don’t normally take the time to feed trolls, but this has been too egregious. Those instructors would rather be sailing.
I learned the way those kids did, from instructors in inflatable boats. My parents are from small towns in Indiana and Wisconsin and knew nothing of sailing, so they weren’t in a position to teach. Decades later I have a boat and a mooring and I love sailing and my kids know how to sail. If it weren’t for the time and energy of those instructors, the infrastructure that you depend on to make sailing practical for you would fail. They won’t keep the marina open for just one person.
I get that you’re autodidactic but not enough people are to sustain sailing.
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:49   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Maybe some folks on this forum would find the fumes coming off the dried human feces you use to cook your meals with just as offensive as you find outboard fumes to be.

Just a hunch....
Old 01-06-2019, 14:17   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Maybe some folks on this forum would find the fumes coming off the dried human feces you use to cook your meals with just as offensive as you find outboard fumes to be.

Just a hunch....
Kenomac has reached a new low which is saying something.

Ken maybe one day you can sail your very high priced 60' sailboat as far as the OP has sailed his $1,000 1970's Bristol 27.

That is if you think your boat is as strong as his and can take the offshore punishment
Old 01-06-2019, 14:32   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Kenomac has reached a new low which is saying something.
Do your CF research, it was another one of the outside the mainstream ideas your mentor suggested all of us dooing a couple of years ago. I simply get tired of these ecomaniacs preaching to the rest of us, especially when they attack the very people who are on the front line teaching sailing.

Here is the post:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2632186
Old 01-06-2019, 14:32   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1affiah View Post
Those that can, do...Those that can't, teach!
I've learned more from coaching baseball than I learned from playing.

Get a brain.
crooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 14:45   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Do your CF research, it was another one of the outside the mainstream ideas your mentor suggested all of us dooing a couple of years ago. I simply get tired of these ecomaniacs preaching to the rest of us, especially when they attack the very people who are the front line teaching sailing.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2632186
Not sure who my mentor is Ken, but I do understand your point.

(But) When I was in the marines, we did have the type outhouses you see on movies like Platoon and we, the guy that was on duty had to burn the "sh!tters" in am which was part of the duty watch. The sh!tters had sawed off 55 gallon drum sections below and these were pulled out and the crap was burned

We poured in a bit of diesel fuel from the generators that power our Air Traffic Control Facility and lit it up with our lighters while having a smoke in the am. I was there as a tech. The diesel engines which were mounted on trailers supplied our gear with 3 phase 400 hz power. We were a deployable facility that could set up in any remote area where an airstrip could be built or a pad for the Harriers which were VTOL

And since this is a sailing forum we were right on the ICW near Bogue Inlet. When we were locked on base each summer for a few weeks we use a 14' Sears Aluminum boat with a 9.9 merc to sneak away at night and buy beer and cigareetes

http://wind-drifter.com/engineer/bog...l/Bogue_07.php
Old 01-06-2019, 14:48   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooks View Post
I've learned more from coaching baseball than I learned from playing.

Get a brain.
Your comment as well as the guy you responded to are a bit harsh.

Folks need to chill out a bit.

As I said before, some of us learn best alone where our minds are not cluttered with lots of talk so we can concentrate.

This for children that grew up with no one around so they got used to the silence and had to figure out everything on their own

Tags
sail, sailing