Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2015, 23:11   #1

where should i begin?

ive always wanted to buy a boat and sail around the world, but where do I start? ive been looking up various things online and everything says something different. what would I need if any certificates and/or licenses?
theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:15   #2

Boat: Couch Potato
Re: where should i begin?

I mean you can just pass a basic license and charter a boat with ZERO experience if you wanted to.. would not reccomend it watch "ode to credit card captains" on youtube for what that looks like

However if you want to learn the skills needed to sail, maintain your own boat one day, anchor or enter a marina without incident the best way is to volunteer on a racing boat for everything and anything they need. It's not necessary for it to be a racing boat however the do sail the most and push the boats so you will learn all kinds of things that a weekend sailor would not even attempt.

I recently started to sail after a hiatus on small bathtubs that was 20 years ago in the same way.

Went to a local marina and asked a guy who i knew was going aroun on regattas if he would be willing to take me out and teach me and offered any help whatsoever around the boat needed.

Well after going out 2 times in front of the marina where we were becalmed or at best had 3knt of wind that same weekend i ended up on a regatta on a bow hoisting the spinaker and what not at 20+ knots of wind(thrills you cannot imagine).

Since then every weekend i am sailing in OPEN class on a Jeanneau One design 35 and having a blast.

If you start just accept there will be mistakes and the skipper will be pulling his hair at some of the things you make that in retrospect i wonder how i managed but if you are bitten by the bug it all pales in comparison with the enjoyment you get out of it.

Halyards,spreaders, winches, travellers, backstay, forstay it makes no sense at the beggining but soon you can actually see how it actually all goes together. I'we read a ton of books on sailing but i guess i'm more of a visual person and until i saw how it all actually works it was just a ton of information floating in my brain.

lohi
Old 14-07-2015, 03:42   #3
Marine Service Provider

Just getting out on the water is a great start and racing is a good way to get there for sure.

But if you are looking for cruising experience and want to find out what it is like to live aboard a boat and travel to new places, you should try a live-aboard sailing school. Check us out and let me know if you have any questions - we are happy to help!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 04:09   #4
Marine Service Provider

Please! Anyone else think this post is fake? He may as well be asking how to fly to the moon. Really.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote