Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 06:30   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Dreamofsailing
What's the Best Way to Volunteer as Crew to Gain Sailing Experience in Chicago Area ?

It was suggested to me that before I buy my first sail boat that I take classes and volunteer on a crew...to gain sailing experience. I've signed up for classes that start in March. How do I find a skipper in the Chicago area that cruises locally (in the great lakes)? Is it as simple as posting that I am interested or do I just watch for threads? Any insight or direction would be greatly appreciated!
Dreamofsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 07:28   #2
Tam

Boat: Bayliner, Ciera 2855
Re: What's the Best Way to Volunteer as Crew to Gain Sailing Experience in Chicago Ar

I'm from the area and interested too. I'll be watching this thread for suggestions.
Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 07:32   #3

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Re: What's the Best Way to Volunteer as Crew to Gain Sailing Experience in Chicago Ar

Sign up for the Carib 1500 crew list. I have 3 crew from the Chicago area sailing back from the Caribbean this Spring that I got from the list. Its a good way to get big boat, off-shore experience.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 07:45   #4

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Just go down to the local sailing and yacht clubs, they usuallyhave bulletin boards. Make up a card with your name and infi what your experience is and that you want to learn more. the more you learn, the more sailing time you will get. You can also hang around and talk to the owners and let them know that way.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 08:12   #5
Tam

Boat: Bayliner, Ciera 2855

Thanks. I'm out on the Illinois River but if I were closer to the Lake I probably would have bought a sailboat and just figured it out as I went along. I love life on the river but really want...no, NEED! to spend time sailing on blue water.
Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 21:18   #6

New Page 1

This will take you to one place where skippers advertise. It used to be easy by just showing up at the right places on weekends. If you feel like posting an ad the old fashion way (paper on board with a hot picture) with the Harbor Masters (Montrose, Belmont etc) that might also help.
chicagodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 23:52   #7

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

sometimes clubs have open houses -- aimed somewhat at recruiting but also useful for networking -- and volunteering to help with regattas and events could also help with making connections.