Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 11:55   #1

Boat: Tanzer 22
What Sailing School Should I Choose ?

my wife and I are new to sailing and are wanting to do some live aboard lessons maybe in BC Canada or somewhere in the Caribbean we only have about a week. We intend on buying a 30 to 35 foot boat to sail in the great lakes in 2012. With a long term goal of chartering boats when we travel.
any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
no-mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 19:39   #2

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably
Re: what sailling school should I choose?

We are from Montreal and are going to Colchester in Vermont to take our sailing classes. We are going to a school that is recognized by the ASA Learn to Sail and Earn Your Sailing Certification With the ASA The ASA is recongnized internationally so you can charter a boat in a lot of places with the proper sailing classes.

We took our ASA 101 on June 25th and 26th and will take ASA 103 on August 6th and 7th. We are sailing every weekend at the Marina where we take our courses, The International Sailing School in Colchester Vermont and are really satisfied with the service we get. You should look at the ASA website to find the school that is the closest to you.

We will buy ourselves a boat in a year or two, sell our house and our car and move into the Caribbeans. My husband is a massage therapist and could easily work on one of the islands during the high season while we go and sail away during the low season. We could also work as home-based, well actually boat-based travel agents to make even more money as we will become experts on the Caribbean islands.

Sailing opens up so many opportunities, it is hard not to look into it.

Stay safe and keep on dreaming!!

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 19:46   #3

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably

oups, double post.

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:40   #4

Thanks for the reply Missou I will defiantly look into ASA approved schools. Can anyone recommend one in BC Canada or somewhere in the Caribbean?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:12   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

One option might be to try to find a free cabin on someone's charter. I know some people often have cabins available and are looking to find others to join them. It might be something we'd consider on a future trip as we often have room available. It wouldn't be true instruction, but one of the best ways to learn is by doing

I also know Sunsail offers courses in the BVI. PM me for more info.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 08:58   #6

Re: What Sailing School Should I Choose ?

Consider Offshore Sailing School in the British Virgin Islands. They are a US SAILING school; US SAILING is the national governing body of the sport of sailing; Your US SAILING certification may mean more internationally. One thing to consider. You'll become skilled at only part of what you need to be a competent, confident skipper. A week of learning in the Caribbean will be a wonderful experience, but you need to set your expectations that more training, studying and coaching will be necessary to truly be confident to handle your crew and your vessel in most common sailing circumstances.
RMJepsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 22:10   #7

thanks for the reply RMJepsen
Old 13-07-2011, 22:34   #8

Boat: 79' Mason 43

I'll be honest and tell you I'm an instructor at OCSC Sailing school in San Francisco. I've taught sailing from Greece to Key West, Florida to San Diego and this is the best school I've ever been associated with. I had over 10,000 ocean miles before starting there 10 years ago and I've learned a lot from my fellow instructors. Check out OCSCSAILING.COM. I've had students from Alaska, Canada and the east coast.
Just my plug. The conditions aren't easy but you learn alot!
capt.cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 05:22   #9

This is also not in canada or the caribbean... but... I have taken several ASA certification classes at JWorld in San Diego, a school in Corpus Christi, and the San Diego Sailing Academy (obviously in San Diego). I have bareboat chartered in the BVI. I have sailed a fair amount in New England. I think you should go to the San Diego Sailing Academy instead of the caribbean - the website is www.sdsa.com . I am not affiliated with them in anyway... They only teach two people at a time (a couples course) and the price is very competitive. You stay on the boat. They teach you on a catalina 30 or a hunter 30. The boats are clean and in good working order. The instructors (a father and son) are terrific. The quality of the instructors is the reason for the recommendation - they are amazing. The experience is not diluted by other people on the boat with you. Moreover, they really push you to do stuff. This is not a class where they drive you around and protect the boat they are on... They make you do it. Which you want. The sailing area is a little more complicated than BVI but you will learn more - then just go bareboat in tortola on your next trip and it will be easy by comparison. San Diego is beautiful. The conditions in San Diego are very constant, too, so you won't have your time with the instructor corrupted by either no wind or too much, usually. Finally, if you can, spend some time in a very small boat sailing course (maybe at a community boating center in your area) prior to taking a regular asa course in a bigger boat. Even if you are not interested in sailing in little points there responsiveness really helps you get how all boats respond to the wind, a concept that is somewhat more muted in the larger boats designed for cruising.

Good luck!
cmzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 15:45   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJepsen View Post
Consider Offshore Sailing School in the British Virgin Islands. They are a US SAILING school; US SAILING is the national governing body of the sport of sailing; Your US SAILING certification may mean more internationally. One thing to consider. You'll become skilled at only part of what you need to be a competent, confident skipper. A week of learning in the Caribbean will be a wonderful experience, but you need to set your expectations that more training, studying and coaching will be necessary to truly be confident to handle your crew and your vessel in most common sailing circumstances.
I'd second this.

I just got back from the BVI yesterday and met a couple that did this. They are affiliated with Moorings and I believe the first couple days they went out on smaller boats to get the feel for sailing and then moved aboard a larger 41-44' boat and by the last day took it out themselves. They had a great time!
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
british columbia, sailing lessons, sailing school