Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2015, 22:53   #61

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: What is a Normal Tip for an Instructor at a Sailing Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
When I was a sailing instructor I would never have accepted a tip since they had to earn their certificate.... And that would have seemed like a conflict of interest.

However, post sailing day when we reviewed the lesson and objectives.... I rarely needed to buy a round.
A practice to be lauded... and imitated IMO!

Good one!

Jim
Old 04-01-2015, 23:02   #62

Boat: Rinker 24

Put me in the "No Tip" camp as well. IMHO for many occupations tips are a baloney way for the employer to get out of paying a living wage to an employee. Plus, no matter what the particular situation it seems that a lot of the most demanding patrons are either the worst tippers, or don't tip at all. It is certainly not a sound economic model to base ones income around.

Anyway, instead of a tip to an instructor of any sort, an appropriate gift would be more suitable, as mentioned if there is any sort of certification involved bust it out after all the paperwork is done. For something related to boating, a rigging knife is a thoughtful gift. It could be something from a
$20 davis knife to a Victorinox Skipper or a Myerchin or a host of others. Or a Leatherman of the many patterns. Anyway, plenty of other things but hard to go wrong with a knife or other functional gizmo as a token of appreciation, which will not be confused with an arbitrary amount of money as a value of their time and expertise.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 00:21   #63

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Anyway, plenty of other things but hard to go wrong with a knife or other functional gizmo as a token of appreciation, which will not be confused with an arbitrary amount of money as a value of their time and expertise.
Dang... and here I thought that the hefty fee I paid for their time and expertise would have amply rewarded them (if I were in that position) .

Really, guys, this ain't a waitress in a diner, this is supposedly a professional instructor doing his job. Did you ever tip a professor when you were in uni? My dad was a professor, and he would have been shocked and dismayed if a student "tipped" him after a class or graduation.

I (grudgingly) tip in restaurants in the States, but I would never consider doing so in the subject situation.

Jim
Old 05-01-2015, 01:27   #64
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

If tipping is such a great way to get a decent living wage, why are all paid US employees paid in this manner. Teachers, police officers, lawyers, judges, bank tellers and so on. Why is it reserved just the wait staff and the like?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:24   #65

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
If tipping is such a great way to get a decent living wage, why are all paid US employees paid in this manner. Teachers, police officers, lawyers, judges, bank tellers and so on. Why is it reserved just the wait staff and the like?
yep,

I'd like to be able to "tip" a judge after he sentenced me - light sentence - big tip. heavy sentence - no tip

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:26   #66
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
yep,

I'd like to be able to "tip" a judge after he sentenced me - light sentence - big tip. heavy sentence - no tip
Sure way to ensure great service!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:30   #67

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Sure way to ensure great service!
Even better- perhaps the taxman should be salaried by tips. low tax bill, bigger tips (hey you know maybe that's a real idea there - think there is any chance of getting it implemented in real life?)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 21:19   #68

Thumbs down Re: What is a Normal Tip for an Instructor at a Sailing Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Yes, it is true. If you do not tip at a restaurant in NYC you will likely be beaten badly.

The Mayor and the Tourism Board have done an excellent job of suppressing this story in the Media and as a result many tourists are caught completely unaware, only realizing what is happening to them as their stunned faces kiss the filthy concrete….

We'd be hanging out drinking beer ... laughing and watching some indignant looking chump whining in a French or German accent about how they don't tip at home while he was given a guided tour of the gutter.

There's a couple websites where people post photos which are kinda funny. It's a pretty common sight in Manhattan and becoming more common in parts of Brooklyn. I think if you search YouTube you can find some videos.

We all think it is terribly amusing ...
Seriously? You think tourists being physically assaulted is funny?
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 23:58   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

My tip would be "tell your employer to pay you a suitable wage and don't expect clients to pay on top of their registration fees"

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-01-2015, 00:35   #70

Boat: Under construction

I would offer him a tip: Keep the water on the outside and the sticky thing in the air. No more, no less.
Chris66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 14:50   #71

Our BVI sailing school lists what's included in the course and what's not...They specifically mention "instructor's tip" as not being included.

After reading this thread, I guess we will just call the school and ask what is customary or expected.

I can report back if anybody cares.
Old 23-06-2016, 11:41   #72

Boat: Leopard 40

I just signed up for ASA104 certification and the website says 10-15% is customary, which is a couple hundred dollars for the two of us. I normally wouldn't tip professionals but I think it will be a little awkward not tipping at the end since the website explicitly mentions tips and a percentage.
eweb101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 12:14   #73

Boat: Krogen 42

Would it be awkward if they said 25-30%? I would take my business someplace else and I would tell them why.

Don't be intimidated by their writeup

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-06-2016, 12:31   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweb101 View Post
I just signed up for ASA104 certification and the website says 10-15% is customary, which is a couple hundred dollars for the two of us. I normally wouldn't tip professionals but I think it will be a little awkward not tipping at the end since the website explicitly mentions tips and a percentage.
Whoa!.....OURS would be at least a half a boat buck for the two of us!.:face palm:

Any idea if that includes an occasional neck rub or foot massage?
Old 23-06-2016, 12:39   #75

Fishing guides are customarily tipped. One in Port Hardy has a rather large sign on the dock with that message.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing