Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2015, 14:27   #46

Re: What is a Normal Tip for an Instructor at a Sailing Course

Hi Josmason! By chance is the school Blue Water? I am considering taking the course this winter. Curious if you followed through. Let me know.
pmorrow959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 00:39   #47
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Buy the instructor a beer
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:21   #48

Yes, it is true. If you do not tip at a restaurant in NYC you will likely be beaten badly.

The Mayor and the Tourism Board have done an excellent job of suppressing this story in the Media and as a result many tourists are caught completely unaware, only realizing what is happening to them as their stunned faces kiss the filthy concrete.

I had a friend who used to live across the street from a fancy restaurant that must have been written up in a guide book that was popular with obnoxious European tourists because it seemed like every night some bewildered looking tightwads were being taught a lesson.

We'd be hanging out drinking beer on his stoop laughing and watching some indignant looking chump whining in a French or German accent about how they don't tip at home while he was given a guided tour of the gutter.

There's a couple websites where people post photos which are kinda funny. It's a pretty common sight in Manhattan and becoming more common in parts of Brooklyn. I think if you search YouTube you can find some videos.

We all think it is terribly amusing since the European tourists are often the most demanding and difficult to please customers. I this find to be ironic considering how poor the quality of service I receive basically anywhere in Europe where waitstaff have little incentive to provide good service and I often find myself wishing I was back home.

Like they say, when in Rome do as the Romans do!

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:25   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, pmorrow959.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:27   #50
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What is a Normal Tip for an Instructor at a Sailing Course

Don't back No; 6 in the 3.30....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:58   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Yes, it is true. If you do not tip at a restaurant in NYC you will likely be beaten badly.

The Mayor and the Tourism Board have done an excellent job of suppressing this story in the Media and as a result many tourists are caught completely unaware, only realizing what is happening to them as their stunned faces kiss the filthy concrete.

I had a friend who used to live across the street from a fancy restaurant that must have been written up in a guide book that was popular with obnoxious European tourists because it seemed like every night some bewildered looking tightwads were being taught a lesson.

We'd be hanging out drinking beer on his stoop laughing and watching some indignant looking chump whining in a French or German accent about how they don't tip at home while he was given a guided tour of the gutter.

There's a couple websites where people post photos which are kinda funny. It's a pretty common sight in Manhattan and becoming more common in parts of Brooklyn. I think if you search YouTube you can find some videos.

We all think it is terribly amusing since the European tourists are often the most demanding and difficult to please customers. I this find to be ironic considering how poor the quality of service I receive basically anywhere in Europe where waitstaff have little incentive to provide good service and I often find myself wishing I was back home.

We grew up with tips but there are parts of the world where it is seen as an affront. The South Pacific for example consider it rather condescending and in Greece and Turkey it was never expected. (I'm talking about the local market not the tourist areas that are frequented with Americans who tip)
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:09   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Is it not the owners of bars and restaurants who are the 'Tightwads' for not paying a living wage... while raking in the ample profits on the mark ups..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 04-01-2015, 05:31   #53

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Is it not the owners of bars and restaurants who are the 'Tightwads' for not paying a living wage... while raking in the ample profits on the mark ups..
No, I would say not. They are paying based on the structure in the country, which assumes they will pay minimum and the majority of pay will come from tips. They are following both the law and the established practice. The combination of base wages plus tip is designed to pay a living wage.

Now this isn't to say there isn't abuse of the system in some areas but much of that has been reduced. It's not like when I was younger and some restaurants on the coast of NC during peak season the waiters actually paid to work there.

Is it a good system? I'm not certain. There is certainly some argument that it rewards waiters and waitresses for the quality of service and that they must please the customer as their ultimate employer of sorts. It is a form of incentive pay system.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:43   #54
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
No, I would say not. They are paying based on the structure in the country, which assumes they will pay minimum and the majority of pay will come from tips. They are following both the law and the established practice. The combination of base wages plus tip is designed to pay a living wage.

Now this isn't to say there isn't abuse of the system in some areas but much of that has been reduced. It's not like when I was younger and some restaurants on the coast of NC during peak season the waiters actually paid to work there.

Is it a good system? I'm not certain. There is certainly some argument that it rewards waiters and waitresses for the quality of service and that they must please the customer as their ultimate employer of sorts. It is a form of incentive pay system.
Explains why you guys think eating out in Europe is expensive.. not used to a wage being priced in... we do tip here for GOOD service as well when we get it.. but usually around 10%.. and its discretionary.. but I'm damned if I'll be held hostage to 20-25% regardless of service quality..

Old 04-01-2015, 05:47   #55

I make every effort to respect local practices wherever I travel least I sin in the fashion of The Ugly American.

I try not to tip when abroad but every now and then accidents happen and I unthinkingly show my appreciation for services rendered. Funny how I have never been admonished or castigated when my err defies local practices and any token of my appreciation always seems to be welcome.

Maybe you think that makes me a sucker, that's okay. My experience suggests most everyone is underpaid so I don't mind being a little generous now and then.

For better or worse the system we have in the States is the one we have to work with. It amazes me when people travel here from other countries and think it appropriate to behave like they are at their home rather than a guest in a foreign country.

In my experience the cost of a meal in Europe tends to be higher than in the States which reflects the fact the waitstaff is paid by the owner rather than the customer.

At least in the states the level of compensation of the waitstaff is at the discretion of the recipient. If it sucks, I make a statement by leaving a paltry sum or none at all. If it's great, I pay handsomely. Contrast that with service in Europe where the staff gets paid regardless and I tend to find mediocre or indifferent service the norm, but that's just me.

If you don't like to tip waitstaff, stay home. People bringing their own ideas about how the world should be aren't appreciated here. If we want to not tip we will visit your country. Fair enough?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:05   #56
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I make every effort to respect local practices wherever I travel least I sin in the fashion of The Ugly American.

I try not to tip when abroad but every now and then accidents happen and I unthinkingly show my appreciation for services rendered. Funny how I have never been admonished or castigated when my err defies local practices and any token of my appreciation always seems to be welcome.

Maybe you think that makes me a sucker, that's okay. My experience suggests most everyone is underpaid so I don't mind being a little generous now and then.

For better or worse the system we have in the States is the one we have to work with. It amazes me when people travel here from other countries and think it appropriate to behave like they are at their home rather than a guest in a foreign country.

In my experience the cost of a meal in Europe tends to be higher than in the States which reflects the fact the waitstaff is paid by the owner rather than the customer.

At least in the states the level of compensation of the waitstaff is at the discretion of the recipient. If it sucks, I don't tip. If it's great, I pay handsomely. Contrast that with service in Europe where the staff gets paid regardless and I tend to find mediocre or indifferent service the norm, but that's just me.

If you don't like to tip waitstaff, stay home. You bringing your own ideas about how the world should be aren't appreciated here. If we want to not tip we will visit your country. Fair enough?
Having worked in the Hospitality industry a number of years front of house running Cocktail bars in 4*& 5* hotels I can assure you quality of service was not measured by how well you tipped..
Also Mason jars or mugs did not sit on bars waiting for cash every time I bought a drink..
Sorry mate.. I only work for a decent wage.. to me tipping is like tossing a coin to a beggar psychologically.. its f%*$ing degrading way to live..
Shame on those who enforce it..
and those who support it.. its as bad as zero hours contracts..

Old 04-01-2015, 06:20   #57

I hear you. Not defending it, just saying that it is what it is, at least around here anyway.

Degrading? Yeah possibly, but then again a bartender in NYC at a popular nightclub or restuarant can easily bring home $500-$800 per shift, sometimes more if they are serving Wall Street types who like to throw their (our) money around.

Tip jars on the counter always irritate me, a bit déclassé IMO.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:31   #58
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=Delancey;1714646] but then again a bartender in NYC at a popular nightclub or restuarant can easily bring home $500-$800 per shift, QUOTE]

Now ya tells me...??
Old age sucks...

Old 04-01-2015, 07:52   #59

Boat: Various

Wifey B: What is freaking degrading is that there are people working full time jobs and only making $7.25 per hour with no benefits. That's working their a.. off 40 hours a week, 48-52 weeks a year and earning $15,000 a year, taking home about $13,850 a year. That's far more degrading than the waitress earning double that through tips.

Back to the OP and tips to instructors. In a classroom setting that would be strange but in a personal services setting like sail instruction slightly less so. I'd ask the facility what was typical, understand they're probably overstating. Then I'd tip based on how well they did. I would expect the amount to be small. We are a tipping society. Tour Bus Drivers, Hair stylists, Concierge, Valet. At this point it's not about whether our custom is right or wrong. It's there. And as long as it is, we need to respect those providing services such as these. Failing to do so doesn't protest the custom, it only penalizes the worker.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 20:58   #60
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

When I was a sailing instructor I would never have accepted a tip since they had to earn their certificate.... And that would have seemed like a conflict of interest.

However, post sailing day when we reviewed the lesson and objectives.... I rarely needed to buy a round.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing