Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2008, 16:50   #1

West Coast Sailing Schools

I will be moving to Monterey next Spring and I am interested in taking some basic sailing classes (asa 101,103,104, and 114). Can anyone recommend a sailing school in the area? I would be willing to drive as far as the bay area.
TheBadLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 13:59   #2

Monterey sailing schools

I've been researching the same thing and have narrowed it down to two choices;

Monterey Bay Sailing right in Monterey bay

and

Pacific Yachting and sailing in Santa Cruz

Both offer ASA certification. There are several more choices available to you if you include the San Francisco bay...
greggm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 14:17   #3

I'll throw in (disclosure = former student & current member) a bid for OCSC in the Bay Area.............US Sailing certification, high standards and great atmosphere............

OCSC Sailing School | Learn to Sail - San Francisco Bay Area | Sailing Lessons | California Sailing Club
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 17:44   #4

Just in case you need an excuse to head up to the Bay - Sale on training courses

Sailing Lessons Gift Certificate | Special Offers | San Francisco Bay Area Sailing
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 17:45   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I agree with Chuteman...OCSC in Berkeley is the best.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 16:53   #6

Monterey Sailing out of business

Hi, I was the instructor at Monterey Sailing.

Monterey Sailing offered Boat rentals, ASA instruction, and special charters for the Navy Personnel & Private functions. Jack Yelverton is an esteemed business developer and prior to retirement developed the non-profit organization in the lower part of the Breakwater Cove private marina complex and Monterey Boatworks haul-out facilities and Chandlery. Monterey Sailing is now out-of-business.

More on location;
There is a great deli there for the Scuba class, scuba gear shop, and Italian Restaurant upstairs.

Monterey Sailing was (the not for profit, rather than the previous monterey bay sailing and diving) closed and the boats are currently in transfer of ownership or are being used by the sail club (I need to check)

I happen to go cruising for a year to the BVI via the P. Canal (OCT 2005 Monterey Departure) and when I returned- not only had the organization been sold but it closed shortly thereafter. I am not to blame, but had I known I would have never left. This has been a real blow the community, as part of the restoration was to open the breakwater on the coast guard pier to the public and to provide a rental sailboat to the public.

Regarding Monterey Bay & the available ASA schools;

If you are really interested in learning everything- you'll have to work hard to be involved Bay-wide. Cpt. Dutch Meyer was the former owner (sailing & diving) and still runs mostly 45-minute day sails on two sailboats. He instructs ASA but doesn't have a normal schedule for it. He prefers the day to day operations off Fisherman's Wharf where he has an office at the end of the Wharf.

Pacific Yachting & Sailing would be a great start considering your location- but tell me your availability, financial restraints, and objectives and I might be able to recommend something more in the greater area. If you are willing to try yacht clubs- the The Yacht club at the municipal pier in Monterey has sailing open to walk-ins one afternoon each week. You would be 'crew' to the private owners, so your own safety is your own liability. But, I enjoyed meeting the folks there and I THINK it's Wednesdays but it changes periodically. It's a big group of people. I don't have the contact details and don't live in Monterey anymore.

I.E. I would recommend ASA & US Sail Certification, plus boat ownership, a willing to live in Marina parking lots, and applying for all sorts of races but that might not be feasible for you. How old are you and what is your commitment?

Hope this helps.
captainteacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 12:25   #7

Boat: Catalina 34, 1999
Thumbs up Monterey Bay sailing Instructor

I currently teach at both schools. They both are still in business except the Montery Bay Sailing School is building it's fleet of charter boats and is only 4 years old (Currently has 7 boats from 22 feet to 32 feet) pacific Yachting is 28 years old.
Both the schools are better than most. But both offer completly different experiances. The school in Santa Cruz (Pacific Yachting) has 16+ boats the boats are newer and the boats are very well kept. The difference in the experiance is that that Pacific Yachting is very picky about it's members and there certification requirements to charter. Monterey Bay sailing on the other hand is more lax in it's requirements and has sailboats for charter at any level of ASA certification.
Of course membership costs vary and Santa Cruz has more sailors in it's fleet because of its better access to "Silicon Valley" and it's better destination sailing among other things.
Randy Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 12:36   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I can't compare OCSC, but there is Spinnaker Sails in Redwood City, and S.F. This may be a bit closer for your commute. I used Spinnaker S.F., and was sailing my own 30ftr 3 months later. Then single-handing to Mexico solo 18 months later. They worked for me.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 12:57   #9

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
Can strongly recommend OCSC in Berkeley. Excellent instruction, curriculum, professionalism.

But, the other reason is, there is generally consistently present/predictable wind in the Bay -- and not so out along the coast or in Monterey......by the same token, it is a bit of a drive from Monterey --
Old 19-07-2009, 13:02   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
If I am not mistaken OCSC has some privileges that go along with the membership? Possibly you can explain to the original poster what those priveleges are once they graduate? It may make a difference on where they take the lessons?

No matter where you take your lesson BEST WISHES on enjoying this thing called sailing. I don't think there is a rehab for the addiction though.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote