Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-02-2009, 07:19   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
My expereince has been that even in busy SE florida, having one hailing channel works fairly well, and the vast majority of users, use it appropriately even without any official training. Obsusers, usually get harmmered on fairly fast. I think once out the reach of FCC and others, (Bahamas for example), many get more relaxed. In addition, a much higher percent of US cruisers in the Caribbean are charter people who know less about boating protocals in general. (and I say that as someone who has chartered myself.)

I really don't like the idea of separating the emergency channel from the general hailing channel such as using channel 9. People will be more likely to monitor the hailing channel than the emergency channel, so in my mind, this greatly reduces the effectiveness of using an emergency channel to notifiy people of emergencies. Having one to eclusively to deal with emergencies is something different.

I find another big help that people often ignore to reduce chatter is to switch to low power when you don't need to transmit far. A transmit circle with twice the radius, has much more than twice the area or listeners it will affect. Swtiching to low power will usually do more free up a hailing channel than cutting the hailing process by a couple seconds.

When I have trouble hailing someone, it's rarely because people using proper procedures to hail each other are taking too long, it's because a very small percent of people just don't know (or more likely don't care about) using proper protocals. Either that or there's a big group of boaters constantly hailing each other to chat about nothing.
I agree with all of this. The low power option will save you a lot of annoyance, too.

Old 10-02-2009, 15:34   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
I'm wondering why you don't use DSC? Then you can just listen for your beep or tone that the radio will make when it is a call for you and will change to the calling frequency selected by the caller, or are you just upset that people aren't following protocol, and want to change the world?

While I think requiring some training in the U.S. would be more optimum, in Puget Sound the Coast Guard is active in informing people on 16 when they are not using it appropriately, providing lowest level basic training for all that are listening.

John
I couldn't agree more, and I do use DSC whenever possible (i.e. when friends are around) but the problem isn't me (at the risk of sounding pompous...) but the other people that don't know how to use the radio properly and we have to listen to if we're monitoring the local calling channel - that's what drives me nuts! I don't particularly want to change the world, thanks, but it would be nice if people were a bit more considerate...

Old 10-02-2009, 16:25   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim38Adonde View Post
I couldn't agree more, and I do use DSC whenever possible (i.e. when friends are around) but the problem isn't me (at the risk of sounding pompous...) but the other people that don't know how to use the radio properly and we have to listen to if we're monitoring the local calling channel - that's what drives me nuts! I don't particularly want to change the world, thanks, but it would be nice if people were a bit more considerate...

I've developed a filter, I don't hear anything except distress calls and my boat's name.

John
Old 11-02-2009, 20:39   #34
Hal

Adonde,

You have too much salt in that wound. Of course you are correct and in the USA there should be more training. I'm sure you are aware of the Amateur Radio operations of many boats and maybe you are a Ham yourself. There is much training that goes into a Ham license. Especially regarding how to identify your station legally. The only legal way using phonetics for a US licensed Ham to identify their station is to use the International Phonetic Alpahbet. Few use it and many think it is cute to make up "cutesie" phonetics. It is flat illegal!! However, most don't care and disregard. The reason they disregard the law is that the law is not inforced. As most are saying, it isn't worth the stress. Turn on the filter between your ears or turn off the radio and enjoy the rest of life living aboard. This type of life needs no stress. If you need to signal someone, use a flag My favorite is the Jolly Roger...it keeps the riff-raft away. Enjoyed your comments and concerns. My biggest pet-pive is people that use the prosign "AR" instead of "K" when they turn the frequency back to the guy that was copying their cw. I have others, but won't bore everyone with the details.

Hal
Old 11-02-2009, 20:48   #35
Hal

I say this prayer every night.

Dear Lord, help me to change the ways of those that I can and touch the thigh of those that I cannot so that I may recognize them by their limp.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:46   #36

Read Your Owners Manual Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by benrachor View Post
I operate a commercial tour boat in the Tampa Bay, Florida. In addition, I hold an FCC Marine Radio Operators License as required by the USCG. Generally I setup my radio to scan 13, 16, 22A (USCG), 73 (our working channel). If I need to hail another vessel, I will hail on 16 or maybe 13 (if they are commercial).
I just wanted to make my point again, set up your radio to scan or "TAG" your most used channels. I have found that most recreational boaters turn on their radio and just tune it to 16 and then spend the rest of the day switching channels around. You can select multiple channels to listen to, if there is traffic on one, your radio will stop on that channel until the traffic is clear.

Also most of the time before the coast guard makes a broadcast they will transmit on multiple frequencies, ex. 09, 16. They will alert you and tell you to tune to ex. 22A for the broadcast or vital information. Also most commercial vessels monitor 13, so try and hail us on 13, save the 16 clutter.

SCAN, SCAN, SCAN...If your scanning those channels anyways, like I do, I don't even have to touch my radio through this entire process.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:49   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Adonde,

The only legal way using phonetics for a US licensed Ham to identify their station is to use the International Phonetic Alpahbet. Few use it and many think it is cute to make up "cutesie" phonetics. It is flat illegal!!
Hal
Hal,
Please show us where this is stated in the FCC rules.

73, Jim N9GFT/VK4GFT
Old 12-02-2009, 13:08   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

it's island time man........... use any channel you want!
Old 21-02-2009, 11:31   #39

Does the Coast Guard Auxillary give VHF instruction and licensing? Can a person get licensed even if they are recreational users?
Old 21-02-2009, 12:22   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barreldriven View Post
Does the Coast Guard Auxillary give VHF instruction and licensing? Can a person get licensed even if they are recreational users?
What spefically are you asking? If you look back at the above posts there is nothing required at all if you don't leave the country (assuming you're in Oregon), or talk to someone outside of the country. If you intend to go to Canada you just go to the FCC website and pay money, no instruction required.

If you would like instruction, the CGA offers classes some of which I'm sure covers radio procedure:

US Coast Guard Auxiliary - Visitors - Boating Education

BoatU.S. has a quick intro to radio procedure:

Can You H&# 101;ar Me?

If you were talking about HAM, then you should go to the ARRL site:

ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page

John
Old 21-02-2009, 12:22   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
The test is very easy. One hour of study is all someone needs. Yes, a recreational user can obtain a license for himself and a station license for the boat.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 12:39   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Commercial licenses require a test, and as a recreational boater you can have one. Here's the FCC matrix:

Commercial Radio Operator License Program: Who Needs a License: Examinations
Old 21-02-2009, 13:06   #43

Thanks for the info, and yes, will be going international. Am also looking into a ham radio instruction and licensing. There is a local club here I have found I am checking into.
Old 24-02-2009, 16:08   #44

Boat: custom built 47' wooden trawler yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
What spefically are you asking? If you look back at the above posts there is nothing required at all if you don't leave the country (assuming you're in Oregon), or talk to someone outside of the country. If you intend to go to Canada you just go to the FCC website and pay money, no instruction required.

If you would like instruction, the CGA offers classes some of which I'm sure covers radio procedure:

US Coast Guard Auxiliary - Visitors - Boating Education

BoatU.S. has a quick intro to radio procedure:

Can You Hear Me?

If you were talking about HAM, then you should go to the ARRL site:

ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page

John
I took a couple of the USCG Aux. Boating Education/Skills course(s) offered back in 2000 I think, just to see what it was about.

At that time, the STATE of OHIO and I'm pretty sure the states all around Ohio followed suit and passed a law stating something to the effect that operators born on or after 1/1/1982 must meet mandatory education or proficiency exam requirements. [I passed ]

There was a whole section on proper radio communication.

Just not sure how well the criterion is enforced.

Michele
Old 24-02-2009, 16:17   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I had the individual VHF License. If you are concerned about when you are outside the US.... forget it. No one out there is paying attention. Use any channel you want. No one really cares if you have a license of any kind in the third world... station license or individual.

Tags
radio

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: