Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 06:17   #76

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
I served about 3 weeks aboard the USS Gualdalcanal as part of the combat cargo crew -- Marines who helped load and unload helicopters on the flight deck. I was the NCOIC, so I normally didn't venture out onto the flight deck -- I had to wear one of those funny looking WWII vintage headsets you see in the movies with the microphone sitting on your chest.

Anyway, since I was part of the ship's crew, would that time count as sea time? Or do you have to stand watch? Now that I have my own boat and live aboard, it probably won't make a difference, but I've been trying to document all my time and wondered if I should include it.
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:38   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Do you guys think you can stop pissing up each other's leg and take it to PM?

Bottom line: If you can get a license, get the biggest you qualify for, with as many endorsements. You'll never get rich being the master unless you get into the real big stuff, and even then rich is relative (unless you are also the owner).

I've been licensed for over 20 years, and in that whole time if I've made $100K total off my license, I'd be surprised. That said, It has almost always been fun.... Hour after hour of tedious boredom, punctuated by moments of pure terror!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:07   #78

Boat: Tartan 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nv5l View Post
I served about 3 weeks aboard the USS Gualdalcanal as part of the combat cargo crew -- Marines who helped load and unload helicopters on the flight deck. I was the NCOIC, so I normally didn't venture out onto the flight deck -- I had to wear one of those funny looking WWII vintage headsets you see in the movies with the microphone sitting on your chest.

Anyway, since I was part of the ship's crew, would that time count as sea time? Or do you have to stand watch? Now that I have my own boat and live aboard, it probably won't make a difference, but I've been trying to document all my time and wondered if I should include it.
According to everything I've been able to find so far, yes that counts

[edit] I didn't realize that was a carrier... appears to weigh in around 19,000 tons, so I don't think it counts...sorry

You just need a separate sheet for each boat. And since that is verifiable experience it should definitely count. You can be the ships cook or a steward or whatever, as long as you are on the ship while moving on the water, and the ship is under 300 gross tons, and you are over the age of 16, then it all counts.

The tricky stuff is trying to verify a recreational outing. they want the owner of the boat and the boat registration number/hull number and all that.. So if it was a fishing trip when you were 20 and you barely remember the name of the captain or the boat....it probably shouldn't count.

This is the best link i've found so far, and the information appears accurate (based on comparing it to official websites).
Documenting Sea Time
callmecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:26   #79

Boat: private yacht always moving
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I avoid - generally - replying to direct personal attacks - but you constantly cross the line. Putting little smiley's after a direct personal attack does not change the nature to "yanking your chain" or in way, shape or form consist of any civilized form of "humor."
- - If you have "other experiences and opinions" and links to pass on - fine that is what this forum is all about. But you consistently use personal attacks to try to discredit other's opinions and information.
- - The rules are not difficult - tact and discretion - gets your message received better. From the CF forum rules:
Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.
All the above is IN YOUR OPINION,,, I will try to be nice to you in the future, but please do not put writing in BOLD I find it disrespectful to me and think you are attacking me personally,, please stop

could you define "civilized form of humor" please another smiley,,

lighten up a little,,, everyone is different, in your opinion it means one thing in mine it means another,,

why do you take things so personally,,,,you have commented in other posts that you think people are attacking you personally,,, lighten up a little,,,,,,do not take things so personally,, as for the smilies--there is a whole thread on them, do a forum search to find it

by the way i said I would buy you beer,,,, if you prefer another type of beverage just mention it,,, we'll head out sailing for the day and have a good time
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:35   #80

You just need a separate sheet for each boat. And since that is verifiable experience it should definitely count. You can be the ships cook or a steward or whatever, as long as you are on the ship while moving on the water, and the ship is under 300 gross tons, and you are over the age of 16, then it all counts.

I do not think that working as a cook or steward will count toward seatime,,,,,,, I think is has to be in the deck department,,,,,also on a vessel over 100 tons you need to have an 8 hour day for it to count, 4 hour days count only on a vessel under 100 tons

the site below,,,,,,,

gCaptain Forum

will be a good place to post the question on sea time from the military

That said, It has almost always been fun.... Hour after hour of tedious boredom, punctuated by moments of pure terror!

that reminds me of my wedding night
Old 04-01-2011, 07:44   #81
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post

I do not think that working as a cook or steward will count toward seatime,,,,,,, I think is has to be in the deck department,,,,,also on a vessel over 100 tons you need to have an 8 hour day for it to count, 4 hour days count only on a vessel under 100 tons

the site below,,,,,,,

gCaptain Forum

will be a good place to post the question on sea time from the military

That said, It has almost always been fun.... Hour after hour of tedious boredom, punctuated by moments of pure terror!

that reminds me of my wedding night
And as a 'Chef'he should know what he's talking about.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:52   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
And as a 'Chef'he should know what he's talking about.....
please don't gang up with orrissail on me,,I might take it personally

After 11 years in yachting as a chef I got 0 seatime,,, I never even bothered to get it on paper as I knew it would not count,,

Sea Service - USCG National Maritime Center

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/download-docs/sea_service.pdf

Military Service
Sea going experience gained in the military can be used to qualify for Coast Guard licenses and
certificates, as long as the underway time is comparable to that required of civilian mariners.

Unlike civilian mariners, military personnel are not given certificates of discharge or letters of service to
document their experience. Nor are military vessels measured and inspected like civilian craft, which
makes it sometimes difficult to determine whether an applicant meets the prerequisites for time on
vessels of a specified minimum tonnage.

The evaluation of military time begins, like all other evaluations, with the submission of the application
paperwork package. In place of a “sea time letter,” an applicant with military seagoing service will include
documentation from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) that provides the periods
of assignment, name of vessel, and capacity (rate/rank). A shipboard generated letter or DD-214 is not
sufficient. To request your records you must submit Standard Form 180 to the NARA.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:59   #83
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Okay, guys, have we got that all out of our systems, now? Good, thanks for working it out . . . here, I'll buy a round for all the members posting in this thread.

TaoJones
Old 04-01-2011, 08:42   #84
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Its OK Tao..... I was just checking out "Chain Yanking' response's....
Seems 'Yanks' are pretty sensitive all round....
ROFLMBO

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:45   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Its OK Tao..... I was just checking out "Chain Yanking' response's....
Seems 'Yanks' are pretty sensitive all round....
ROFLMBO
Hey I'm a Yank,,, come from Connecticut, born and raised there,,,stop yanking my chain
Old 04-01-2011, 08:53   #86
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
we seem to be ignoring the OP here. As to the question of whether you need an official USCG logbook, the answer is no. I keep my log in a standard college-ruled composition book, and that was adequate to count for sea time. (Not that it mattered a whole lot; I flunked the color test.)
Old 04-01-2011, 09:10   #87

Boat: Tartan 30
Thanks.
reading through the CFR's now...

it sucks (for you) that colors matter so much, i thought ATONs had numbers and shapes for that very reason :/
callmecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:12   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
we seem to be ignoring the OP here. As to the question of whether you need an official USCG logbook, the answer is no. I keep my log in a standard college-ruled composition book, and that was adequate to count for sea time. (Not that it mattered a whole lot; I flunked the color test.)
there are 4 or 5 color test that you can take spend some time reading the below link if you have not already done so,, your doctor might not have had the other test available

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/medical/NVIC...es.pdf#page=69

good luck
Old 31-01-2011, 09:00   #89

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45
I hold a 1600 ton Master / 2nd Mate Unlimited with Oceans and in the process of renewing it for possibly the last time. (Turned 70 last Boxing day). Had to recertify my STCW. Due to the various ports I go to have to have a TWIC card
Endorsments: ARPA Radar, GMDSS Radio License, Lifeboat Man, Able Seaman.
The 2nd Mate requires me to read & send flashing light. Have also done Bridge Management and assorted other courses.
Am Semi-retired an work as an instructor for those who want their 100/200 Mate/Master licenses.
You can make a good living working offshore. Put a roof over your family's heads and food on the table. The downside is that you are away from home a great deal. Worked on the sea all of my adult life. No Qualms, no regrets. And a lot of adventures at sea and around the world...
But is it a life for you? Have known some who acquired their license and quit the sea because they couldn't handle the time away from home, or the responsibilities at sea, whatever their reason. Me? Have always led an adventuresome life...

USN Retired 1/'79 (21 Years), Worked Commercial since 2/'79
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 10:10   #90

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
I live on the GOM and have a 50TOn Masters with towing. And have little experience except on my own boat. Except for taking the guys out to the floaters to fish, I haven't seen any job opportunities. I would be willing to do just about anything to accumulate sea time. Pay is no object as I have a day job with flexible hours, (software).
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license