Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2012, 12:50   #121

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic
Re: USCG Captain's License

This is always interesting.

I have a Canadian drivers license. With that, I can drive in Canada, the USA and Mexico with no further requirements. A visit to CAA (Canadian equivalent to AAA) and for $35, I can get an International license that will allow me to drive in the rest of the world (even when they drive on the opposite side of the road) with no further training.

Why is a boat so different? Stuff happens much faster in a car than it does on a boat.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 15:36   #122

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

It's all about control! About 15 years ago the CG decided that a 6" bell wasnt big enough or loud enough so they made all of us commercial guys buy 8" bells. It had nothing to do with anything except the manufacturer of 6" bells wasnt selling any and sent some lobbyist to Washington!
We hung out our frying pans and dutch ovens with a ball peen hammer! (passed inspection too!)
Same thing with e-pirbs & liferafts - we were forced into buying them!
I fished by myself for 20 years - delivered all kinds of boats all over the world and never relied on anyone to get me out of trouble and never had a license except when I was running a charter boat out of Westport in the 70's.
I've always figured it was nobody's business if I went out and killed myself due to my own stupidity. Life is nothing but risky but nobody wants to take the risk or responsibility for their own actions - that's why we have all these rules and regs and license for this and license for that. It seems that human beings arent responsible for themselves anymore. Too bad!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 15:48   #123

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
This is always interesting.

I have a Canadian drivers license. With that, I can drive in Canada, the USA and Mexico with no further requirements. A visit to CAA (Canadian equivalent to AAA) and for $35, I can get an International license that will allow me to drive in the rest of the world (even when they drive on the opposite side of the road) with no further training.

Why is a boat so different? Stuff happens much faster in a car than it does on a boat.
However, I assume you are not driving commercially. You don't need a USCG liscence to operate a recreational vessel -- only commercial.

Also, different or not, it is the way it evolved legally. Ever try to reason with bureaucrat?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 18:39   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Same old -same old. Follow the money.

It is tight enough that if you pick up "crew" that wished passage to where you may be going you can't charge. You can ask them to kick in for food etc. for expenses but if you are caught operating for hire without the local permits and tags it can be big trouble.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 08:25   #125

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
belizesailor is pretty much where my thoughts are. If you're trying to run a business and I have it just makes no sense to skirt legalities, it'll bite you in the ass.
Excellent post. If you sometimes take some friends out, and have them chip in it is unlikely that you will be "caught", and prosecuted, but if you regularly take out strangers, and charge for it you are a charter, and eventually the legal expenses will be greater than the cost of a license.

I am no fan of big government, and the last guy to recommend paying extra taxes or fees, but the USCG license requirements are not onerous, or difficult. I recently went through it myself.

It takes a few weeks of classes, (which provide a good review of things you should already know), a very minimal fee, (compared to other licensed professions), a way for the USCG to hold you accountable for mistakes that can endanger others lives. And a record of supply and demand, (you don't have to woory that everybody with something that floats will show up some weekend and under bid you until you go out of business).

You have the knowledge that everybody else doing it for money has at least a basic familiarity of the rules.

And you can face USCG boardings with confidence that you are in compliance, (I've had several, they all went smoothly, because I was taught the regs, and comply with them). It's not THAT difficult to just do it right.

Get the license if you plan on getting paid to drive a boat. Buy the required safety equipment, and place them in a labeled locker, (I keep a dated inventory sheet in a waterproof folder with ins. and registration, license, etc..., they like that).

Most boardings now are quick, (hand over the folder, they thumb through it, and thumbs up, go to the next boat). I don't agree with all of the numerous laws, but if compliance is easy, and mostly for your benefit, just do it.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 04:32   #126

I hold an IYT Yachtmaster 200 ton Ocean Captains license. You would be surprised what you can learn during the course. I believe the failure rate in this course is about 35%. Not easy, but if everyone on the high seas was a little more educated, it would be a safer place.
rabertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:46   #127

Working toward the USCG masters license I have lots of days in smaller craft but need for 50 tons:
1 day of service on vessels over 5 GRT
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/M...20200%20NC.pdf
Anyone have tips on how to get crew time on a larger vessel for a limited 1 day stint? Who would I approach and how would I pitch the idea?

Additionally- for renewal - I believe that 360 days in the past 5 years are required - however do those 360 days have to be in a vessel of "appropriate tonnage?" - i.e. if I spent the 360 days on smaller craft does the Coast Guard ever reduce the tonnage rating on a renewal if you haven't been spending time on big enough ships?
Huahine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 15:14   #128

If I want to go for the 100 ton master captain how many hours do I need on the larger vessels. It is unclear to figure out. Is it better to get the 6 pack and move up or just go for the whole thing if that is my end goal???
alar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 19:13   #129

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by alar View Post
If I want to go for the 100 ton master captain how many hours do I need on the larger vessels. It is unclear to figure out. Is it better to get the 6 pack and move up or just go for the whole thing if that is my end goal???
Go for the most you can get. Do it once. If your big boat numbers are not enough then you might get bumped down to 50 Ton. If you don't understand the hours, call them. they really are quyite helpful and almost nice.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 20:30   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huahine
Working toward the USCG masters license I have lots of days in smaller craft but need for 50 tons:
1 day of service on vessels over 5 GRT
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/M...20200%20NC.pdf
Anyone have tips on how to get crew time on a larger vessel for a limited 1 day stint? Who would I approach and how would I pitch the idea?

Additionally- for renewal - I believe that 360 days in the past 5 years are required - however do those 360 days have to be in a vessel of "appropriate tonnage?" - i.e. if I spent the 360 days on smaller craft does the Coast Guard ever reduce the tonnage rating on a renewal if you haven't been spending time on big enough ships?
You might be able to talk to a fishing boat about that one. I'm sure if you were humble and begged and said you'd scrub the decks while at the dock for an afternoon or something of the sort the operation would sign you off for a day. Fill out the paperwork in advance and bring a pen so all they have to do is sign it. You can sort of guess that a foot equals a ton, so find a ~70 - ~100 foot sport fisher. Most of those guys are pretty cool. You'll work like a slave though.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 20:36   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by alar
The OUPV is pretty worthless unless you just want to do sixpack charters forever. Any inspected vessel is off limits to you, which will really hamper your career and upgrading your license. If you have an uninspected boat you want to run charters on I suppose the OUPV is fine. If you want to work professionally in any capacity for anyone else, you need your master. Don't worry about the tonnage too much although 50 is about as low as you want to go. You're not going to be behind the wheel of a 51 ton vessel right out of the gate (I hope).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 21:37   #132

Eric the rebel:

Thanks for hooking up the new guys! Great blog by the way!

Cheers,

Huahine
Huahine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:06   #133

Great thread, thanks to all the input here.

Do any of you have specific recommendations for any of the USCG approved schools/instructors to get a 100T masters license?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:22   #134

Boat: Farrier f27

Depends on where you're at,there're good schools around most ports I've been.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:33   #135

You're right Randy, I would prefer to find one on the east coast, MD to FLA.

Thanks

Tags
license