Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 08:57   #61

Boat: private yacht always moving
NMC sometimes tries to do what they want,,,,

Recency – 90 days in the past 3 years on vessels of appropriate tonnage 11.201

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/M...+AGT.pdf&B1=GO!

I have caught them on this before till you can back it up with the cfr,s

NMC still has to go by the LAW and that is the CFR's and NVIC
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:59   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Just wondering...for a Mates license is knowing Morse at 6 WPM still required? Is celestial still required?

I used to be a mate on OSV's out of Hueneme for Nicor and then Zapata. The Nicor job was on an acidizer. The Zapata job was hauling the usual stuff, pipe, mud etc. This was back in 1987-88.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:04   #63

Correcting on of my previous post

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/master_100.pdf

it seems they changed one of the requirements for the 100 ton

TONNAGE:
A. 50 GT increments, EITHER:
1) Maximum tonnage on which 25% of required experience obtained, OR
2) 150% tonnage on which at least 50% of experience obtained.
3) If all service under 5 GT, license issued 25 GT (1 day over 5 GT good for
50 GT)

in 2008 it was 1 days over 75 tons for the 100-ton license

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...2002&TYPE=TEXT
Old 03-01-2011, 09:06   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Just wondering...for a Mates license is knowing Morse at 6 WPM still required? Is celestial still required?

I used to be a mate on a OSV out of Hueneme.
still required for mates and captain but only 4 WPM and the rec no longer test,,, you can also be approved to test, then test but they will not issue your license till you pass the FL test,,,, you also must do that for your renewals at present,,, it is a 4 hour course for about 200 dollars I think
one of the most worthless things that you need to learn for a license
Old 03-01-2011, 09:11   #65

Celestial is not required for the mates license it is required for the oceans endorsement,,, i am holding off on doing that till I upgrade to my 2nd mates and do the 70 question crossover test for 1600 master

I hear rumors al the time that they ar going to get rid of it, including from a recent academy grad that hers was the last year the school was going to teach it but it is only rumors,,, something i still want to learn just to know it

I applied for a 3rd unlimited near coastal and NMc said they had no such license,,, 5 email later and going up the chain they finally put it in print that there is a 3d mate unlimited license limited to near coastal,,, I had to point out 3 times to 3 different people at NMC that there web site listed a 3rd unlimited license but celestial was not required for NC,,,
Old 03-01-2011, 09:13   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I tend to disagree with eliminating the requirement. RACON's and some buoys flash in Morse code. The necessity for somone on a ship to know celestial is pretty obvious.

What is this world coming to when nobody on a ship knows celestial or Morse?

Whats next? The flags? A Third Class radio license? Perhaps I am too old school?

Old 03-01-2011, 09:26   #67

I agree with the celestial part but how many times have you used the whole alphabet in morse code???
I have heard that in the near future the Fl test will be only several letters that are mostly used,,,,,I agree with that

If you do not use it you loose it,,, that is true with FL,,, how many captains and mates use this on a daily basis,,, communication in Fl is pretty much very old school (NO offense meant),, the racons and buoys that use it are markers, not 2 way communication as used in the navy ships in times of war and such,,, when was the last time you communicated a long message in FL,,, it can be done electronically now, having a basic knowledge of the most important letters is important but the whole alphabet?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:32   #68

.. / .- --. .-. . . / .-- .. - .... / - .... . / -.-. . .-.. . ... - .. .- .-.. / .--. .- .-. - / -... ..- - / .... --- .-- / -- .- -. -.-- / - .. -- . ... / .... .- ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- ... . -.. / - .... . / .-- .... --- .-.. . / .- .-.. .--. .... .- -... . - / .. -. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . ..--.. ..--.. ..--.. / .. / .... .- ...- . / .... . .- .-. -.. / - .... .- - / .. -. / - .... . / -. . .- .-. / ..-. ..- - ..- .-. . / - .... . / ..-. .-.. / - . ... - / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / -... . / --- -. .-.. -.-- / ... . ...- . .-. .- .-.. / .-.. . - - . .-. ... / - .... .- - / .- .-. . / -- --- ... - .-.. -.-- / ..- ... . -.. --..-- --..-- --..-- --..-- --..-- .. / .- --. .-. . . / .-- .. - .... / - .... .- - / .. ..-. / -.-- --- ..- / -.. --- / -. --- - / ..- ... . / .. - / -.-- --- ..- / .-.. --- --- ... . / .. - --..-- --..-- --..-- / - .... .- - / .. ... / - .-. ..- . / .-- .. - .... / ..-. .-.. --..-- --..-- --..-- / .... --- .-- / -- .- -. -.-- / -.-. .- .--. - .- .. -. ... / .- -. -.. / -- .- - . ... / ..- ... . / - .... .. ... / --- -. / .- / -.. .- .. .-.. -.-- / -... .- ... .. ... --..-- --..-- --..-- / -.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. -.-. .- - .. --- -. / .. -. / ..-. .-.. / .. ... / .--. .-. . - - -.-- / -- ..- -.-. .... / ...- . .-. -.-- / --- .-.. -.. / ... -.-. .... --- --- .-.. / -.--.- -. --- / --- ..-. ..-. . -. ... . / -- . .- -. - -.--.- --..-- --..-- / - .... . / .-. .- -.-. --- -. ... / .- -. -.. / -... ..- --- -.-- ... / - .... .- - / ..- ... . / .. - / .- .-. . / -- .- .-. -.- . .-. ... --..-- / -. --- - / ..--- / .-- .- -.-- / -.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. -.-. .- - .. --- -. / .- ... / ..- ... . -.. / .. -. / - .... . / -. .- ...- -.-- / ... .... .. .--. ... / .. -. / - .. -- . ... / --- ..-. / .-- .- .-. / .- -. -.. / ... ..- -.-. .... --..-- --..-- --..-- / .-- .... . -. / .-- .- ... / - .... . / .-.. .- ... - / - .. -- . / -.-- --- ..- / -.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. -.-. .- - . -.. / .- / .-.. --- -. --. / -- . ... ... .- --. . / .. -. / ..-. .-.. --..-- --..-- --..-- / .. - / -.-. .- -. / -... . / -.. --- -. . / . .-.. . -.-. - .-. --- -. .. -.-. .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / -. --- .-- --..-- / .... .- ...- .. -. --. / .- / -... .- ... .. -.-. / -.- -. --- .-- .-.. . -.. --. . / --- ..-. / - .... . / -- --- ... - / .. -- .--. --- .-. - .- -. - / .-.. . - - . .-. ... / .. ... / .. -- .--. --- .-. - .- -. - / -... ..- - / - .... . / .-- .... --- .-.. . / .- .-.. .--. .... .- -... . - ..--..

any takes on what it says
Morse Code Translator

Fl can be done electronically now

when was the last time a mariner had to do a TT from the SSB
Old 03-01-2011, 09:37   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I no longer know the entire alphabet. Just some of the more memorable letters. With some practice I could get back to 6 WPM but you are right, I have never had any reason to need to be able read it at 6 WPM other than to pass the exam. It was probably last of any use when merchant ships were in a naval convoy...but those days are long gone and I am sure we have other technology now which replaces that need.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:57   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean.jedi View Post
Does anyone have a reccomendation for an on line school for usgc six pack with masters and sail endorcement.
Don't know anyone who has commented on Nauticed, but it seems that they have at least a good starter curriculum.

If anyone has used them, I am sure that there are a few of us who would appreciate feedback.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:00   #71

check out this site

there are others

SeaSources.net, Coast Guard license exam test preparation questions and Online Training For merchant marines
Old 03-01-2011, 14:49   #72

Boat: Tartan 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Don't know anyone who has commented on Nauticed, but it seems that they have at least a good starter curriculum.

If anyone has used them, I am sure that there are a few of us who would appreciate feedback.

I've taken NauticEd's coastal navigation class, and their weather clinic.

I would say that for the price it was well worth it. I got a big discount on the navigation class, which is the only reason I took it in the first place. But, I liked it enough that I decided to paid full price for the weather clinic.

Overall it's very well written and formatted. I find it much easier to process than just plain reading. The testing seemed adequately challenging... I'd say it's on par with ASA testing as far as general difficulty goes. (I think ASA's Coastal Navigation "home study" course is virtually identical, but for about 5 times the price...but you don't get that ASA sticker with Nauticed...)

I think its an excellent resource, but I wouldn't consider it a substitute for a teacher, however it is marginally better than reading a book.
callmecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:08   #73

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
Orissail….. “I think you know not from whence you speak”….

osirissail,,, we have had this conversation before,,, don't give advice unless it is the correct advice,,
CaptainKJ - Do your relish in being a Cyber Bully and as the "only one" with the only valid opinion? Really get over it. This is a forum for the exchange of opinions based on a person's past experience. So your experiences as a Cook on a superyacht makes you the expert on "cruising boats and cruising people?" You have your opinions and I have mine and a lot of others on the forum have other opinions and experiences.
- - All of the opinions and experiences are equally valid for the person involved. So get over it and start following the posted rules of CF - no personal attacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Respect other people and their opinions and experiences and you will have a much longer and happier existence.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:49   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
CaptainKJ - Do your relish in being a Cyber Bully and as the "only one" with the only valid opinion? Really get over it. This is a forum for the exchange of opinions based on a person's past experience. So your experiences as a Cook on a superyacht makes you the expert on "cruising boats and cruising people?" You have your opinions and I have mine and a lot of others on the forum have other opinions and experiences.
- - All of the opinions and experiences are equally valid for the person involved. So get over it and start following the posted rules of CF - no personal attacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Respect other people and their opinions and experiences and you will have a much longer and happier existence.
Have you ever heard of "yanking your chain" DON'T take things so personally,,, only kidding on my part,,,,,,in the past you have given really good advice in your posts,,,, why is that people take things so seriously???
I have no problem with you,,, take a joke,,, so we had one disagreement in one post,,, let it go,,,,i did come on a little strong in that post but no harm done,,,,,as for being a Cyber Bully,,, give me a break,,, your just not used to my humor,,,,,, by the way,, I was not a cook but a chef,,, who is being a bully now and not being nice to me,,, boy,, that was insulating to me,,, think I am going to put my head in the sand like an ostrich because you called me a cook,,, OOOOOO stop bullying me,,,lighten up,,, enjoy the sailing,,, when i get down there I will by you a drink,,,here i even sending you flowers,(smilie below)
Old 04-01-2011, 06:15   #75

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
Have you ever heard of "yanking your chain" DON'T take things so personally,,, only kidding on my part,,,,,,in the past you have given really good advice in your posts,,,, why is that people take things so seriously???. . .
I avoid - generally - replying to direct personal attacks - but you constantly cross the line. Putting little smiley's after a direct personal attack does not change the nature to "yanking your chain" or in way, shape or form consist of any civilized form of "humor."
- - If you have "other experiences and opinions" and links to pass on - fine that is what this forum is all about. But you consistently use personal attacks to try to discredit other's opinions and information.
- - The rules are not difficult - tact and discretion - gets your message received better. From the CF forum rules:
Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license