Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:30   #46

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean.jedi View Post
Does anyone have a reccomendation for an on line school for usgc six pack with masters and sail endorcement. I live in Reno, and i am unaware of any brick and motar schools for ocean seamanship. Heck, we don't even have a nearby ocean (we keep waiting for California to slide into the pacific so we can all have beachfront property).
You can get the guidelines and "questions" from on-line sources - but really, what do you need the USCG license for? Like a CDL - commerical drivers license so you can drive a truck, etc., it has little or no value if you are strictly a recreational sailor or operating outside USA waters in non-USA boats.
- - For simplicity and speed and most importantly for success, the "brick and mortar" schools provide the services, advice and assistance to successfully get your USCG License in minimal time and effort.
- - Re-read post #18 - there is a lot more involved in getting the license than just the examination questions. And keeping the USCG license "valid/active" involves more complications and things to do.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:34   #47

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Here's an online school that I'm aware of:

Captain’s License Online | USCG Captains License | Mariners School | Mariners Learning System | Sea School
Old 02-01-2011, 08:38   #48
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
(we keep waiting for California to slide into the pacific so we can all have beachfront property).
you seem a little weak on the plate tectonics. As I understand it, Nevada and those other states will be sliding into the Atlantic, leaving the island of California behind.

We'll miss you guys.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:15   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
At least for you John, when California slips out from under you, you will still be floating and have a nice view of the ocean.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 18:38   #50

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic
Check out Welcome To Maritime Institute

They show online courses for full masters.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 20:14   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are different grades of masters licenses and different requirements for each, all the way up to "any tonnage any oceans".

Old 02-01-2011, 21:21   #52

The Maritime Institute in San Diego has a good Internet, self-study course. Having taken this, I was prepared for the exams. One caviat, you need to be self-motivated and have the time to complete the modules. I treated this like a full training day for two weeks to complete. Others spread it out more. Nice people too.
Capt.Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 22:12   #53

Boat: 58'Kelsall Ballota Catamaran
Thank you all. I want the license for my own benefit. I own my own boat.
I wanted to know which on line school spoon feeds the best I learn from audio or video more than reading from a book or memorizing questions And i like mp3 downloads for the iphone

Ps --yes california is an emerging shoreline but as a former san Francisco resident i think reno is less likely to sink into the sea. Again Thanks for the info.
ocean.jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 22:38   #54

Quote:
Does anyone have a reccomendation for an on line school for usgc six pack with masters and sail endorcement. I live in Reno, and i am unaware of any brick and motar schools for ocean seamanship. Heck, we don't even have a nearby ocean (we keep waiting for California to slide into the pacific so we can all have beachfront property).
these guys, or they can point you in the right direction Welcome To Maritime Institute
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:26   #55

Boat: private yacht always moving
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
You can get the guidelines and "questions" from on-line sources - but really, what do you need the USCG license for? Like a CDL - commerical drivers license so you can drive a truck, etc., it has little or no value if you are strictly a recreational sailor or operating outside USA waters in non-USA boats.
- - For simplicity and speed and most importantly for success, the "brick and mortar" schools provide the services, advice and assistance to successfully get your USCG License in minimal time and effort.
- - Re-read post #18 - there is a lot more involved in getting the license than just the examination questions. And keeping the USCG license "valid/active" involves more complications and things to do.
Orissail….. “I think you know not from whence you speak”….

osirissail,,, we have had this conversation before,,, don't give advice unless it is the correct advice,,

osirissail you say
it has little or no value if you are strictly a recreational sailor or operating outside USA waters in non-USA boats.
A person with a USCG license can apply and receive a equivalent foreign license, like the bahamas or red flag license, many countries are on the white list, as for the value of the license,,, it holds the same value as an education,,, none if you do not use it

a cruising sailer with a license can charter his boat out in a foreign country or pick up some captain work while cruising

It also has VALUE in the knowledge that you learn while getting that license will be helpful in the future of cruising,,,how many boaters do no even know the rules of the road and are out on there boat??? would you be one of those????

If the OP wants to home study pick up a copy of MURPHY books, then go to seaschool or similar school for the 2 weeks, you WILL pass the test at the school

one thing put in the application to the USCG BEFORE going to school,,,,, the class certificate is ONLY good for 1 year,,, meaning that the USCG needs to accept you sea time. You only need one (1) day on a vessel over 75 tons for that 100 ton license,,,I bring this up in case you are trying to get your sea time on your own vessel,,,,the 6-pack license is passively worthless in my opinion, by getting on a larger vessel for 1 day you get a higher license

Frm-Home page
Sandwich Ship Supply, Inc.: Capt. Murphy's deck officer study guides and other marine publications. Marine supplies.

You might want to check with osirissail and see if he agrees with this advice

Get the highest license possible, it can and will help you out in while cruising,,,,
the 6-pack license is 7 days in school the 100-ton is 10 days in school,,,
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:05   #56

Boat: Tartan 30
noob question...
Can somebody explain the process of logging sea time? Particularly when logging time on your own boat and singlehanded. Do I need a USCG approved logbook?

I have an ASA logbook, as I understand it, I can use this as a valid seatime log towards USCG license. IIRC I have to have somebody sign off to verify the sea time? how do I do that if my sea time is accomplished alone?

Also, what counts as a "day" at sea? Should I log ever time I take a trip across the bay, that may only consist of a few hours?

and what about past experience? From what I gather reading through this thread and the various websites, your sea time starts when you are 15 years old and pretty much everything counts. So do I need to have this logged and signed? or is it just about saying "yeah i did that" on the application?

thanks
callmecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:13   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The way it works is that only the time you have within the past five years counts towards your required one year of sea time. You will need to call your local USCG Regional Exam Center to get answers to your other questions. There is a CG form you will need to fill out documenting your time. If you were with others they like to see a letter signed by the master or the owner describing the days and the size of vessel you were on. If you were by yourself it's pretty much the honor system with a possible request to see your log book.

When you go to renew your license, the way it works is if you can document one years worth of sea time since your last renewal then you do not need to take the exam again....you do though have to jump through all the other hoops again.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:43   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The way it works is that only the time you have within the past five years counts towards your required one year of sea time. You will need to call your local USCG Regional Exam Center to get answers to your other questions. There is a CG form you will need to fill out documenting your time. If you were with others they like to see a letter signed by the master or the owner describing the days and the size of vessel you were on. If you were by yourself it's pretty much the honor system with a possible request to see your log book.

When you go to renew your license, the way it works is if you can document one years worth of sea time since your last renewal then you do not need to take the exam again....you do though have to jump through all the other hoops again.
The way it works is that only the time you have within the past five years counts towards your required one year of sea time. You will need to call your local USCG Regional Exam Center to get answers to your other questions.

100 percent FALSE,,,seatime can go back to the 1800 if properly documented,,, you ONLY need 90 days in the last year for a renewal,,, this is on the USCG website,

Checklists - USCG National Maritime Center

somewhere on the website is a small boat seatime service form,,, download and fill out,

get used to reading the CFR,s listed ont he checklist,,,, NMC does give wrong information sometime by accident,,,,,, if you can back up what you want with the cfr's you can get it,,, try to do everything by email so you have a record,,, you can even apply and send in every document by email and pay online now, no need to go to a rec if you test at the school,

The local rec no nothing that is useful,,,, contact NMC and ask them directly,,, in october 2008 NMC took over all licensing from the rec,s they only do testing and mail forwarding to NMC.
NMC Customer Service Center: 1-888-IASKNMC (1-888-427-5662) there is an email contact on the USCG National Maritime Center web site for info

just for your info I hold a 100 master 200 mate and am testing for 3rd mate unlimited in 4 months,,, I have spent the better part of 3 years dealing the NMC, the CFR and such,,
I don't claim to know everything but I do know what I have listed is true and up to date info,,,
Old 03-01-2011, 08:47   #59

This is a link to approved coursed and schools for NMC

Approved Courses - USCG National Maritime Center

you can search by course name, location or school

link to small seatime form
http://www.nemaritime.com/pdf/uscg719s.pdf
Old 03-01-2011, 08:49   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
The way it works is that only the time you have within the past five years counts towards your required one year of sea time. You will need to call your local USCG Regional Exam Center to get answers to your other questions.

100 percent FALSE,,,seatime can go back to the 1800 if properly documented,,, you ONLY need 90 days in the last year for a renewal,,, this is on the USCG website,

Checklists - USCG National Maritime Center

somewhere on the website is a small boat seatime service form,,, download and fill out,

get used to reading the CFR,s listed ont he checklist,,,, NMC does give wrong information sometime by accident,,,,,, if you can back up what you want with the cfr's you can get it,,, try to do everything by email so you have a record,,, you can even apply and send in every document by email and pay online now, no need to go to a rec if you test at the school,

The local rec no nothing that is useful,,,, contact NMC and ask them directly,,, in october 2008 NMC took over all licensing from the rec,s they only do testing and mail forwarding to NMC.
NMC Customer Service Center: 1-888-IASKNMC (1-888-427-5662) there is an email contact on the USCG National Maritime Center web site for info

just for your info I hold a 100 master 200 mate and am testing for 3rd mate unlimited in 4 months,,, I have spent the better part of 3 years dealing the NMC, the CFR and such,,
I don't claim to know everything but I do know what I have listed is true and up to date info,,,
Either they changed the five year requirement/1 year of sea time requirement or my Mates, unlimited tonnage, any oceans, license is different.

As I said before, anyone applying or renewing for a license needs to call the USCG REC first. Things change.

Tags
license