Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-09-2016, 04:39   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: UKSA, BOSS or Hamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
Just wondering but are you British? I'm wondering if some of your issues might be cultural and possibly down to higher expectations than are likely to be met in the context of average solent sailing schools.
Indeed. I haven't attended any of these courses, but the comments sound strange to me.

If you want a luxury holiday, then book a cruise. This is supposed to be more of a boot camp, and I would consider it wrong priorities if a lot of time and money were spent on food and the like. Doing the course on a shoestring, also -- well that's very much like real cruising! Anchoring out because you don't want to spend money on a marina -- ditto! Welcome to cruising.

As to the instruction -- this is where the energy should be focused, and the key to value of these courses is the quality of instructors and how well they get through a well thought out syllabus. You should not, however, expect to actually get from an actual "zero" to an actual "hero". You can't learn to be a sailor in two weeks, you can only lay a good foundation for it.

As to making tea --

This is a proxy for eagerness and helpfulness, which are essential qualities for a sailor. On my boat, everyone, including the skipper, is always making tea for everyone else, and I think this is part of seafaring culture altogether. A crew who never lifted a finger to make tea for his fellows -- would probably get left at the next port, but I've never encountered such a person. Goes against our code.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:41   #17

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord
Re: UKSA, BOSS or Hamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
A crew who never lifted a finger to make tea for his fellows -- would probably get left at the next port, but I've never encountered such a person.
You may recall from last(?) year the case of a Clipper Race customer who tried to bring a case against Clipper Ventures under employment law. Curiosity about the background to that led me down a rabbit hole of personal blogs and posts by customers, not just from that race but previous races, and a clear theme emerged: People who aren't seen as pulling their weight in those cramped and stressful conditions are ostracised with the full force of small group dynamics.

There are some parallels between the Clipper Race and these "fast track" courses. Although the latter lacks much of the danger it's still a bunch of strangers, sometimes with no idea what they've let themselves in for, crammed into a small space in unpleasant conditions for a long period of time (though only 14-16 weeks)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: