Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2019, 14:37   #16

Re: Training vs boat insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
My insurance company said that they put little or no emphasis on training. They have found training by inexperienced instructors which are prevalent at most schools is not helpful in reducing risk. They discount for experience heavily.
Does your company classifies experience crew vs skipper, coastal vs offshore, boat size etc?

If crewing on passages is something I could plan to do multiple times to learn and be more ready and confident, skipping on passages is another story as then you would need your own boat.
theBeachBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 14:45   #17

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBeachBoy View Post
Does your company classifies experience crew vs skipper, coastal vs offshore, boat size etc?

If crewing on passages is something I could plan to do multiple times to learn and be more ready and confident, skipping on passages is another story as then you would need your own boat.
It's boat owners experience they look for.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 15:23   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Training vs boat insurance

We had never sat foot on a sailboat before we bought ours.
Insurence worried me as I had no classes, and no sailboat experience.
However I had considerable experience in Sportfishermen as big or bigger than our sailboat.
That made the Insurence happy, they wanted “big” boat experience, didn’t care of it was power or sail.
They could care less how many ASA classes I had taken, which to me spoke volumes.
I’m a pilot, have been for decades, I tell aspiring pilots that they day they get their private license is the day they need to start instrument training, the Insurence break pays for the ticket, because instrument rated pilots are so much safer than non instrument rated pilots, that is why I thought it so odd that Insurence companies don’t care how many ASA classes you have taken.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 17:18   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Someone needs to post sample insurance rates for full value hull coverage along with liability and liability only. The hull coverage will vary if in a hurricane area, some times not in hurricane areas, on never in hurricane areas. Liability may vary by area as well.

I pretty much paid for my boat (41' mono) with full hull coverage, so after 20 years I went to liability only at $54 a year for $300,000 and I have another $1.5 million of liability for a small extra charge for the boat on my umbrella policy.

you bring up an interesting tangent...if you self insure..(except the risk of total loss).. now the interesting twist.. an umbrella policy...cheap, easy to get..depending on carrier..covers you anywhere..fyi I ask State farm about boat insurance..no..we want to travel the carribean..but an umbrella would cover us anywhere in the world...I think that coverage would be if our boat damaged a marina or someone else boat..if ours sank..too bad..( I do need to check into the details..)
it is a route we're thinking about

-dkenny64
dkenny64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, insurance