Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2012, 17:56   #1

training and certs for ATW???

Recently a friend planted the dream to sail around the world, and the idea really has taken root. I grew up racing Rhodes 19's in the Boston Harbor with Courageous Sailing. But that was over 10 years ago.

As far as training, what's the best route? ASA courses? Charters? or any other ways to gain the experience? Are certs required by USCG?

I know its going to take lots of time and money but i'm really trying to find the best steps (timeline/knowledge) to accomplish this dream.

My mom's boyfriend owns a 27' i think. I plan on re-learning the basics with him out around the boston harbor this summer/fall.

I am trying to figure the best way to go about this idea. Already bought a few books and read a ton online as well. Reading can only take me so far.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions in advance!
parkth3car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 18:36   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: training and certs for ATW???

Quote:
As far as training, what's the best route? ASA courses? Charters? or any other ways to gain the experience? Are certs required by USCG?

No certs are required by the USCG though depending on your age and where you live some states will require a general boating safety course. You need that level just to be on the water. It's not even close to minimal for what you need to know. If you can read you can pass the on line state boating safety course in an evening. It's important but not sufficient.

Formal training I think is good. US Sail or ASA are the standards here in the US but they offer courses in FUN places too. I think you get started right and thinking right from these courses through the levels to get you bare boat certification. Even if you never charter but plan on getting your own boat it gets your head on right. You can hang around here too

People dream of doing a lot of things but this is serious stuff that takes a lot of work. It can be done in a fun way too. If you enjoy the process it can't help but lead you to enjoy the actual doing of it all. Start with the idea you want to be better and want to have fun too.

Getting back to racing may lead you to OPB's (other peoples boats) and learning in that way is at least cheaper but not without commitment.

Reading is still good because it too leads to more thinking. If you want to make the dream real you need to go beyond the dream and that means getting and acting real. It means learning, knowing, and doing any way that works for you!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 16:21   #3
Marine Service Provider

Too much planning, too much thinking, too many qualifications, too much safety and too much care will lead to failure.
I have seen many people doing it in all sorts of old boats without much money.
If you try to tick all the boxes you are doomed. Grab a boat and start soon.
The book that completely covers the subject is "Around The World Sailing Guide"
On kindle at Amazon.
Wallabycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 17:30   #4

thanks Bplais for the info.
Wallabycreek, that is my kind of answer. I love the no BS go get it attitude!
parkth3car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 17:53   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Go out and buy an old 25' MacGregor. It's a cheap lightweight boat. Spend about $2K with an older outboard. Sail the hell out of her and sell her a year later for your original $2K. These are great sailboats to learn on and take weekend trips on. Crank-up Keel. We used to refer to it as our depth finder. When the keel hit bottom, drop the anchor and crank up the keel and float away till the anchor line get tight and then give it a sharp tug. Guaranteed you will love the old MacGregor.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 19:57   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

We sailed around the world without any certifications or licenses and did just fine. I hope the day never comes when you can't sail the seven seas without seven certificates.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote