Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2009, 17:20   #1

Training - Advice for Total Beginner?

I am planning to purchase my first boat in the next 8-12 months (for liveaboard and sailing 3-4 days per week). The selection in Hawaii seems to be a bit limited, so I will probably buy in California. I will then hire a delivery captain that can teach me how to sail on the way to Hawaii.

I don't want to start crossing the Pacific with zero knowledge, so what type of classes should I take before the journey? Should I take ASA courses, or the much cheaper classes offered by the yacht clubs? I will also read as many books as I can get my hands on before then.

I'm trying to limit my spending as much as possible until after I buy the boat. If I don't take the ASA courses before the purchase, I will definitely take them after.

BTW- I'm an IT consultant/programmer, so my work schedule is very flexible.
todm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 17:23   #2

edit: the purchase will be dependent upon finding a slip near Honolulu.
Old 17-08-2009, 17:29   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Get in touch with Skprjohn he started a sailing class at his yacht club. He can give you info on sailing classes in Hawaii I bet.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 01:02   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Welcome aboard todm - Yes Skipper John and a few others are Hawaii resident. I lived on Oahu for a couple of years as well. Wasn't sailing at the time.

Living aboard in Hawaii takes some local knowledge - I am sure Skipper John will have some good advice.

Regards to classes - take a few and get busy on the water. More experience the better.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 01:38   #5

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
I would suggest you join a sailing club that does the type of sailing you are interested in and then offer your services as crew. Someone is sure to give you a go on weekend club races etc. Club racing, esp. the more laid back type, is a great way to learn to sail. Regards, Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 02:21   #6

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to take the 12hr class at the yacht club and see if I can get on the crew list without joining the club yet.

I've been lurking around here for a few weeks. This forum has been invaluable!
Old 15-09-2009, 17:38   #7

Not sure if your still "lurking", but did want to follow up on how your classes went, and if you were able to get some time in as a crew member.
Not sure if any of our information could assist you, but happy to help if it does.
Old 15-09-2009, 20:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashoreschool View Post
Not sure if your still "lurking", but did want to follow up on how your classes went, and if you were able to get some time in as a crew member.
Not sure if any of our information could assist you, but happy to help if it does.
I haven't taken the classes yet, but hope to soon. I just found out that one of my clients is member at the YC I'm thinking about joining. I'm going out for a sail with them next weekend.
Old 16-09-2009, 05:18   #9

Enjoy the experience... I am sure it will just be the beginning of many. You may want to visit this page: Chart It Marine GeoGarage , its Google maps over-laid with the NOAA charts. You can zoom in on Honolulu and get three views: The NOAA chart, the satellite view, and the traditional map you may be used to seeing. May be interesting before and after you sail.

Good luck
Old 16-09-2009, 05:49   #10

Boat: Boatless
While I can only speak for my sailing club: www.CGSC.org based in Coconut Grove, Miami

We teach US Sailing courses which are as good or even superior to ASA, if they are cheaper it is because we do not have the same costs or profit motive as a commercial school and not because they are inferior. ( I do have friends who are outstanding teachers and teach ASA)

Once you have taken the course you can then, as a member, use club boats and often get to crew for club members either cruising or racing; our Bimini regatta always needs additional crew. (we have a relatively low cost social membership that allows use of boats.)

A further advantage is it then gets people into club activities such as our 'ladies sailing group.'

So to our friend in Hawai; check out the sailing clubs and their lessons and programs.

I would also study 'Ashoreschool's' internet material it is very good.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 06:05   #11

Boat: Allegro 33
Spend time in the boat on the water. Some of us have zero classes courses.. But manage to cross oceans anyway.
Much like anything else practice makes perfect. Have a close friend thats in merchant marine Captain, he wins the price on most groundings among people I know. Common sence and get out there, get someone to show yo the 1st ropes.
Like in racing sailboats shipshape good gear and most time spent in boat wins.

Best of luck and welcome/ harry
Hurricane Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 03:45   #12

Thanks for all the suggestions and info. I've found this site to be extremely beneficial and informative. I've learned much more here than from various books and videos.

I'm just starting with the Ashoreshool material. I hope to add that to my favorites as well.