Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2010, 01:17   #1

Boat: Purchasing a 40-44' Cat
Time to Get Serious ! Time to Go to School !

I am looking to get my own Catamaran within the next 6 months. I have taken the ASA course and certified for Bareboat but I know this is not enough. I am in Germany visiting family and a friend in the UK suggested I take a course with UKSA in Commercial Yachtmaster RYA/MCA. http://www.uksa.org/career/yachting/sailing/commercial-yachtmaster.asp This is a 12 week course, not cheap either... to the tune of $10K but it does include food and sleeping accomidations. However I think the course will 1. Make me legit to Charter my own Cat. 2. Give me some great experiance. 3. Keep me alive due to the waters of the UK can be really rough. My question is... is this over kill? Are their better schools than this one? Thank you for any comments or suggestions
Denvermike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 02:24   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvermike66 View Post
My question is... is this over kill?
Its not overkill if you get something from the course and can afford it.

Does it give you a certificate of competancy to captain a nono comercial yacht? I understand some EU countries require something like that.

For $10k you could well get some sort of internationaly recognised certificate.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 02:33   #3

Hey Mark as you could probbably tell I am new to all of this but this is what the course offers:
MCA / RYA Yachtmaster (Offshore)
or Coastal Skipper with commercial endorsement 1 MCA / RYA Yachtmaster theory
RYA Short Range Radio
MCA / RYA Personal Survival Techniques
MCA / RYA Elementary First Aid
RYA Small Craft Radar course
RYA International Certificate of Competence 2
RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance
Old 27-07-2010, 03:09   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Mike, the course is probably aimed at those who want to work in the charter industry and provides a fast track method to gain YM Offshore which can then be commerically endorsed, however not sure if the RYA will do this for someone who isn't a UK resident. It would be worth e mailing the RYA if this interests you.

If not interested in the commerical side of life, but just value the YM qualification (which has a really good standing) it would be a great way of gaining both miles and sea time with theory. It is an intensive course and for you a completely different venue with big tides, changeable weather and lots of other ships and yachts plying the same waters. Would be great experience if you can devote $10k to pay for it.

Worth looking at the RYA website for the courses and qualifications:

RYA

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 03:25   #5

Pete7 Good call... I will check if the certification will apply to a US citizen! The money spent is an issue... is it worth it or not. But I think that it might be money well spent since I plan on living on the big blue for quite sometime. Might be cold at times however if I decide to in the higher longitudes it won't come as a surprise. Cheers!
Old 27-07-2010, 05:15   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvermike66 View Post
The money spent is an issue... is it worth it or not.
At the end of the course, assuming you passed and gained the commerical endorsement (medical and exam) you would be expected to manage a fully crewed yacht for commerical work up to 150 miles from a safe haven. So charter skipper or delivery skipper etc. On your own yacht I suspect that if you could manage up to 150 miles then actually going all the way across the Atlantic is just a series of 150 mile hops. There is an "Ocean YM" qualification but that is Astro / weather and long distance yacht management. One of the things about being a YM is not to do all the work yourself, you would be expected to organise the crew to do the work, so emphasis on management and delegation.

You say your in Germany now, what are you doing this weekend and next week? Its Cowes week, were everyone decends on the Solent for a weeks racing. Why not pop over, enjoy the scene and call in on them, see their yachts etc. They are on the water front in Cowes. Accm in Cowes will be tricky, but single room B&B might be possible or stay in Southampton and use the 15 minute ferry to Cowes. Southampton has an airport as does Bournemouth an hour a way. Alternative is train to Paris and Eurostar (fast train) to London.

Cowes Week - Welcome

Lots of other UK schools will also run these type of courses. Think the RYA has a list of schools on their website.

Us? we are escaping the mayhem Thurday lunchtime for the Channel Islands, were every French yacht ever made heads for during their two week summer holiday - will be much quieter than the Solent during Cowes week

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 03:55   #7

Hi Pete... wish I could make it but it is a little too late. Rooms are booked up full. However I am going to the UKSA open house on the 14th. Thank you for your input.
Cheers!