Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2008, 16:22   #1

So... new to the forums, looking to learn/apprentice

Where do i start.. I'm new to these forums but i thought this would be the perfect place to get more information on what i'm looking for. I'm currently a college student attending Southern Illinois University. i know nothing about sailing at all but I want to learn. I'm originally from the Caribbean but have spent a lot of my life landlocked and it's a pretty big change heh, I miss the sea. Something about the dead trees and muggy weather in the midwest that is slowly killing me. I've always loved boats and the ocean since i was a kid. Still to this day i remember watching a sailboat race, and it's what i wanted to do when i got older. Now that i'm older i feel like there's nothing ahead but more school, more work, taxes, traffic, increasing bills and that's what I want to get away from. I'm looking to (apprentice)? under someone who has experience. I'm a fast learner, a good student and don't require much anything. I'm a very loyal person and am willing to work as hard as it takes.

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to be posting this under but i'll give it a shot..
Llamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 17:32   #2

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
A good place to start or re-start is a local sailing club on a lake in your area. And much of the time you dont have to own a boat as during club races, crew is always needed..
When I first got back into sailing/racing, I hit the local YACHT CLUB and started crewing on a boat.. even after owning my own boat, I still crewed a season on boat racing for the season.. I learned more in that season than I ever have on how to sail a boat.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 10:28   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
If you are in Edwardsville. There is lake Carlyle, and on the Mississppi just north of the Alton Locks on the Missouri side.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote