Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2013, 06:18   #16

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'
Re: Sailing school

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN-Travelers View Post
... The hardest part of the school was not "helping" my wife when the instructor was working with her.

Good luck
You are not the only one. Most larger schools offer women only courses because of this.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 19:32   #17

That is about where we are at. My husband has been sailing, and I have been learning some along the way. We want to start looking for a boat, knowing it will take a few years to get the boat completely sail ready. So at this point, I want to increase my knowledge to be able to sail when he isn't able to be on the boat. We live in Colorado, so I'm not sure about a local college with sailing courses. But I will look into it. I spent yesterday in San Diego and was very excited to start the process. Thanks again for all of your advice!
Flyf9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 19:45   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Nothing beats hands-on sailing experience in diverse weather conditions during the day and night.
With that in mind I would suggest SF Bay. Depending upon your previous skill level, prepare to drink from a firehose. Nothing like real world to define your skills. Muster up and be prepared.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 06:31   #19

Boat: `99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 s/v Witchcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyf9 View Post
That is about where we are at. My husband has been sailing, and I have been learning some along the way. We want to start looking for a boat, knowing it will take a few years to get the boat completely sail ready. So at this point, I want to increase my knowledge to be able to sail when he isn't able to be on the boat. We live in Colorado, so I'm not sure about a local college with sailing courses. But I will look into it. I spent yesterday in San Diego and was very excited to start the process. Thanks again for all of your advice!
The University of Colorado - Bolder has a sailing program

University of Colorado at Boulder Website: www.bouldersailingclub.org
Team Name: Boulder Sailing Club
School Name: University of Colorado at Boulder
Address: 2247 Mariposa Ave., Boulder, CO 80302

If your goal is to gain experience when shopping for that first boat of your own, there are quite a few sailing clubs in Colorado. Google "Colorado sailing club" and you will get quite a few organizations in return. The ASA web site lists four Colorado organizations that are part of their program.

I can't oversell the concept of formal instruction in an environment where you will experience sailing conditions that you won't find in your back yard. We are Great Lakes sailors. We don't have or experience tides where we sail every season. We can sail from place to place at any time of the day and don't have to worry aboout changes in the water levels every couple of hours.
Our experience sailing/learning in the San Juan's made it very clear that you would have to plan not only where you were going to go, but you also had to know how thick or thin the water would be along your route based on the time of day. Being aware of the tidal currents and how they could affect you along your planned route was also a factor we never see on the waters away from the coasts.

I suspect you East/West coast and river sailors are smiling a little as you read this, since tides and currents are everyday events for you, but this is something that made a huge impression on us. I know we are better prepared to sail in locations affected by tides as a result of taking our formal training in that same environment.

MSN-Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 06:39   #20

Thanks for looking that up! I will check it out. We have sailed in the San Juans once. It was where I started to get the sailing bug
Flyf9 is offline   Reply With Quote