Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 23:30   #1

Boat: 1967 Angleman Sea Spirit
Sailing Instructor

First of all please let me introduce myself. I am a retired navy veteran and have many years at sea with the US Navy. I have singlehanded a 34 foot wooden ketch for over 1000 knotical miles in all kinds of weather conditions. How do I become a sailing instructor, there are tons of sailing schools for beginer sailors. But when I google sailing instructor schools I get nothing.
Old 09-06-2011, 23:36   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien - 35ft
Send a message via Skype™ to cyclepro
Re: Sailing Instructor

Try this:

Become a Sailing Instructor - American Sailing Association

Good luck
cyclepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:03   #3

Experience is a good teacher and the link above will show you how to get to be an instructor. Do you think that 1000 knotical miles is enough to learn the nuances of the seas and the terminology needed to be a successful instructor?

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:08   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I used to teach sailing while attending the maritime academy but not at the academy.

Requirements:
A Coast Guard license, usually a "six-pack" (6 tons, six passengers on an uninspected vessel) license is good enough. One of the requirements for a license is to be able to document one year of sea time within the past five years. There is also the exam including a sail endorsement and some employers may want a radar endorsement, a drug test, color blindness test, physicians exam and you need to acquire a TWIC card.

An ASA or US Sailing instructors certification may be required. These certifications teach you how to teach sailing, which can be very challenging at times. You are already supposed to be an excellent sailor. Whether or not these certifications are required depends on the school.

You don't need an extravagant amount of sailing knowledge to teach the basic and intermediate courses, but you probably should have a very high level of knowledge because you will be asked very advanced questions.

You do need to be people person who can adapt to all kinds of people and who possesses a limitless amount of patience. You also need to have excellent verbal skills and a natural ability to teach. These requirements are critical. Introverts need not apply.

Don't expect wages large enough to survive on. People will teach sailing almost for free and the schools know this. It is a hobby-job for many instructors so they can get out on the water and make a little money doing it. I turned down a part time job teaching on the weekends because they were only offering $15 per hour. My free time on the weekend was more valuable to my wife and I. I already get paid to go out on the water on weekdays.

Google: Sailing schools.

Another option is to look into doing skippered charters through sailing schools and sailing clubs. The base pay is not much but most people who pay for skippered charters tip. Sailing instructors rarely receive tips.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 20:34   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha Chief,
I got my sailing instructor certificate through U. S. Sailing. I believe the fundamentals of all the major schools would be the same. It was nearly the same curriculum I remembered from the sailing schools the Navy used to run and was nearly the same as the Red Cross Sailing instructor course I took in the early 80s.
If you have a choice I'd go with ASA.
Good luck to you and thanks for your service.
kind regards,

Tags
sailing