Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 05:16   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Sail Time in Norfolk, Virginia ?

I am looking at taking some courses to find out what I don't know about sailing. I am close to Sail Time in Norfolk Virginia and they offer a Novice to Captain program. I am not sure if I will jump in for the whole package but I am looking at, as a minimum, taking the novice course.

Has anyone on here taken any courses with them?
How did you like the courses?
Was it worth the money?
Any recommnedations?

My mid-term goal 6 years out is to liveaboard and do some bluewater cruising. I have some sailing experience and more powerboat experience.

Thanks,
Jacob
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:54   #2

Hey, Jacob! I started with Sailtime in Norfolk last year and have never once regretted the decision. I used to sail when I was much younger and wanted to get back into it with very similar goals to you (liveaboard, cruising, etc). My friend told me about Sailtime and it has been an awesome experience. They are a wealth of knowledge and experience! After just a day of classroom work and a few days out on the water I was off on my own, single-handing a new Hunter 36. I later moved over to the 38 and took Sailtime up on their open invitation to race the 33 on thursdays. I have marveled at the fact that I can easily say that the past year has been one of the best of my life!

BTW, you start off you on-the-water training in a much smaller boat without all the 'niceties' of the larger production boat (in-mast and roller furling, auto-pilot, etc). A large part of the training was devoted to getting the Hunter in and out of the dock, which I have come to realize is quite possibly one of the most important aspect of sailing as your boat is never in such close proximity to immovable objects or other boats (unless you are racing), not to mention one of the favorite pastimes in any marina is to watch and judge other skipper's entry and exit technique (or lack there-of!).

I would totally recommend Sailtime and for me, it has been well worth the money. I can absolutely say that I have been on the water this past year more than 99% of the other sailors in the southern Chesapeake. My recommendation to you is to stop in and chat with Dave, over at Willoughby. He is very approachable and I bet you can get him to include you on the invite to our next social event. The first step to joining the sailing community is the drive to the marina. The rest just happens after that! You will find that everyone in our group is quite approachable and very helpful!

Mike

--Dennis Conner
mnisius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:39   #3

I have to second what mnisius said. Dave is an excellent instructor and you'll learn much more than just how to sail. You'll learn about the ins and outs of sailing in the area and bits of etiquette as well. Without a doubt worth the money. You'll also get into the local sailor community which is pretty valuable by itself.
nvmber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmber78 View Post
I have to second what mnisius said. Dave* is an excellent instructor ...
* Capt. Dave Wilbar, Manager SailTime Sailing Center, at Willoughby Harbor Marina.

1525 Bayville St. Norfolk, VA 23503
East of the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, on Route 64 (Exit 272)
Tel: (757) 480-7245

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:00   #5

Thanks for the input. Sounds like a good place to get some training.
Old 05-02-2010, 18:57   #6

Boat: Shell Swifty 14, & 24' Culler / Bolger cat ketch sharpie
Great!

I often vaca out of Duck, NC, just south of here.
I'll have to look into this as well.
bassman1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:35   #7

Sailtime in Norfolk VA

Jacob,
I have had a great experience with Sailtime-Norfolk and I recommend it without reservation.

My son and I joined last year as co-captains, having had some experience sailing mostly through ASA classes at the Maryland School of Sailing (which I also highly recommend). Our goal is also to be able to take extended cruises on sailboats. We needed to have lots of sailing experience to get there so we were referred to Sailime and Norfolk was the perfect location for us, halfway between our two residences.

Dave Wilbar, the manager of the outfit there, took us out for 3 days when we first joined as part of the normal membership process to make sure we knew the basics of sailing and could handle the boat we were joining for, a 33 foot Hunter. Dave was very patient, very thorough, very knowledgeable and experienced, and was an excellent teacher. He is very passionate about sailing, and making sure his members know how to do it the right way. It is very important to him that we know how to do things the right way. After those three days we felt very comfortable taking the boat out. He has given us help after the intro class, and lets us know he is always there to help. He is a great asset and a great resource.

The marina is off a very nice bay (Willoughby Bay) where you can practice in protected waters, and when you're ready the Chesapeake is an easy 20 minutes motoring away. Both the protected bay and the Chesapeake are great places to sail. The boat is a dream to sail for us, responsive, with a well laid out boat plan, furling main and jib which make things very easy, comfortable quarters, and easy use of all the lines and controls. You can arrive at the dock and be out on the water in a very small amount of time. The boat is always clean, gassed up, pumped out, and ready to go. A further benefit of being in this club is that the other members all take care of the boat, and help each other out with scheduling.

I recommend this club highly,and without reservation. It has been everything we were hoping for. I wish you great sailing!

DCampbell
dcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:34   #8

Boat: Capri 22 - 22ft "Outward Bound II"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob30 View Post
I am looking at taking some courses to find out what I don't know about sailing. I am close to Sail Time in Norfolk Virginia and they offer a Novice to Captain program. I am not sure if I will jump in for the whole package but I am looking at, as a minimum, taking the novice course.

Has anyone on here taken any courses with them?
How did you like the courses?
Was it worth the money?
Any recommnedations?

My mid-term goal 6 years out is to liveaboard and do some bluewater cruising. I have some sailing experience and more powerboat experience.

Thanks,
Jacob
Hey Jacob, I'm the manager of SailTime VA Beach. If you'd still like to check out our sailing programs, please feel free to call my cell - 757-620-4042. Dave Wilbar
dwilbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 06:22   #9

Dave I will definitely be by in the spring or sooner. I have been underway recently but my calendar is clear for the Spring mostly.

Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilbar View Post
Hey Jacob, I'm the manager of SailTime VA Beach. If you'd still like to check out our sailing programs, please feel free to call my cell - 757-620-4042. Dave Wilbar