Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2018, 12:25   #1

Boat: Hobbie Getaway 5m
RYA Yachtmaster Offshore School Recommendation (AUS - EU)

Hi Fellows,

I would like to have your suggestion, recommendation on sailing school for RYA Yachtmaster Offshore cerification ideally in Australia, however I am open to fly to EU for the quality training.

I heard from other YM candidates (Sydney) that Australian sailing school (Sydney) are more of money grab with outsourced delivery skippers as instructor with non or very limited professional backgrounds. Most of the schools dont even cover the sea miles or overcrowd the boat with limited sailing time resulting in reduced chance to practice. Night sailing is very limited, Skippers treating adults with no respect.

I aim to gain sailing experience and practice skills which are part of passage in case of an event I wish to cover those topics E.g rudder failure, steering with Drogue, Mast climb, Hylard replacing, man overboard in some sea swell condition with dummy realistic weight. These are few of the common skills I expect for Yachtmaster Offshore in addition to usual sailing training.

Look forward to hear from you.
Old 12-11-2018, 13:45   #2

Re: RYA Yachtmaster Offshore School Recommendation (AUS - EU)

Harry, check this thread

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ca-108362.html

You going to get good bang for your buck in South Africa.

Yachtmaster Fast Track Courses| Sailing Courses Cape Town| 2 Oceans Maritime Academy

Fast track to St Helena and Tristan da Cunha, will get you in the loop quick enough.

The truth about Yachtmaster Fast Track Courses - One Stop Sailing Holidays

Fair winds mate.
Psy at SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 15:09   #3

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Highly recommend BOSS if you go for the uk. I’ve known them since the 90s, always heard good things from friends who used them for anything from vhf to yachtmaster. They were doing fast track courses before anyone else.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 13:27   #4

Shearwater Sailing School
Ipswich UK
Fine school, Fantastic Instructors
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 14:21   #5
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-AU View Post
Hi Fellows,

I aim to gain sailing experience and practice skills which are part of passage in case of an event I wish to cover those topics E.g rudder failure, steering with Drogue, Mast climb, Hylard replacing, man overboard in some sea swell condition with dummy realistic weight. These are few of the common skills I expect for Yachtmaster Offshore in addition to usual sailing training.

Look forward to hear from you.
In regards to your above concerns, I'm not sure they could adequately cover rudder failure as it's kind of a difficult to simulate in a non-emergency situation. The rest should be standard though.

My daughter is signed up for the UKSA YM course starting this January. I read about everything there is on this ol internet and think it's the best option, at least for her. She was the Captain of her sailing team in high school and sailed on her college team also so she isn't a beginner. Besides that, she's gone over 6500 nm with me over the years and had several one and two day passages.

Getting the best instruction is primary, but after that is actually getting a job. We felt that UKSA would put her in the best position to get one on either a large sailing yacht or a super yacht as deckhand. She is also advanced open water diver and going to get her diver master certification also.
Old 13-11-2018, 14:24   #6

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Highly recommend BOSS if you go for the uk. I’ve known them since the 90s, always heard good things from friends who used them for anything from vhf to yachtmaster. They were doing fast track courses before anyone else.
Second that !

In the mid 90s I sat my RYA Yachtmaster Offshore with BOSS... just because i could...

Good boat ( a Westerly ) , good company, a week's sailing on the Solent visiting harbours I hadn't visited before....

Cheapest 'all found' week's holiday I could find in the south of England..
Old 13-11-2018, 14:39   #7
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Just to be clear, the OP I think is looking for a school which teaches the sailing leading up to taking the YM, not just a week of taking the YM. For my daughter it's 14 weeks of sailing on the Solent and shore based instruction.
Old 13-11-2018, 15:07   #8

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Yes, boss will do any length, up to and including yachtmaster ocean from never having seen a boat before.

@pinguino, which Westerly were you on? I used to keep my boat Soup Dragon there, and when I moved to nz they bought it from me. They still have it as Ocean Wanderer I think the name is, but that has been doing the ARC/Caribbean and back each year since 2000 or so.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 16:18   #9
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Talk to Gary at Oceanwest in Bunbury (South of Perth) WA - I did my Yachtmasters with him - Excellent setup and teaching - I highly recommend.

https://www.oceanwest.net.au/
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 16:41   #10

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
+1
Even better if you do it in the English winter!
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 17:21   #11
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
+1
Even better if you do it in the English winter!

Hmmmmm... Freezing, Wet, Grey and Miserable - Sounds like fun
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 17:25   #12

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Hmmmmm... Freezing, Wet, Grey and Miserable - Sounds like fun [emoji3]
After a winter of sailing in the UK you are ready for 10 years in the Caribbean!
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 17:45   #13

Boat: Hobbie Getaway 5m

Thanks for valuable input. To confirm, I m looking for a Fast track to cover the miles and additional modules required for RYA (somewhere 14-15 weeks). I have sent an enquiry emails to South African fellows and BOSS (Gibraltor, before I saw one of the forum post about their rudeness)I and will contact the WA based school as well.

I appreciate all responses.
Old 13-11-2018, 19:09   #14

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Yes, boss will do any length, up to and including yachtmaster ocean from never having seen a boat before.

@pinguino, which Westerly were you on? I used to keep my boat Soup Dragon there, and when I moved to nz they bought it from me. They still have it as Ocean Wanderer I think the name is, but that has been doing the ARC/Caribbean and back each year since 2000 or so.
I think it was Hakuna Matata... a Westerly Fulmar... some of the others they had at that time were ex Westerly Sailing School boats with the prefix 'Westerly xxxx'

My present boat - since 1994 - is an ex Westerly Sailing School boat... she was their flagship no less

Tags
mast, men, offshore, rya yachtmaster, school, yacht