Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2016, 16:56   #16

Re: RYA Day Skipper Theory (shorebased)

Royal Yachting Association

This is the UK site Shop | RYA but you will find them on Amazon or any nautical book supplier.

Garry
Gazzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 01:17   #17

Oh yes, that site I saw already, but I was wondering which books you mean in particular?

I was thinking this RYA Day Skipper Handbook Sail | Books | Shop | RYA or this http://www.rya.org.uk/shop/pages/pro...aultCatalog%29
(or maybe are you talking about other books?)

BTW, does it make sense to buy the Yachtmaster instead of the Day Skipper to get a little more into the theory (even though I will do the Day Skipper) or do the two courses cover different topics?
taddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 04:49   #18

Boat: Lexcen 40
Send a message via Skype™ to briendaniel

Your criteria for making your decision i.e. "5 days of annual leave which I would sooner use on the water" is not sound. We would all like to spend our time on the water as opposed to at a desk. But it is not a logical way to think about the issue. The RYA make it clear that the best way to complete the course is to do the theory first, then the practical. It stands to reason. You can apply your theory skills to the practical exercises, during the practical course. If you don't have your theory properly embedded, you can't execute a host of tasks in your practical course with any competence.

The notion that the instructor can teach you theory during the 5 day practical course is simply, wrong. My experience from students who do the NavAtHome course is that they feel they could do with tuition that is more "present", or having a tutor at hand. However they all report that they like this method because they, like most of us, are "time poor". They also report that for all its drawbacks (which aren't many), it is a great way to complete the theory course, and probably the best way. By applying a little discipline, i.e. say just 5 or 6 hours per week, you should be able to knock it off in say 12 weeks. Try 10 hours per week!

I think with a wider sample size than CF (large though it is) you will find the vast majority will recommend NavAtHome. With this under your belt you will then find yourself having some fun as you learn what the practical course was designed to do....to teach you the practical components.

A useful tip, when buying the books, is to buy the eBooks through the RYA website, not Amazon. The eBooks can then be used on a number of devices as opposed to one. Become an RYA member and you will then be eligible for discounts on a plethora of their products.

To answer the question above about "which books", start with The Navigation Handbook, The Weather Handbook and Day Skipper Shorebased. But even better just go to their website and cherry pick all the topics that interest you in addition to these.

By the way, I am in no way connected to NavAtHome.
briendaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 05:01   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: RYA Day Skipper Theory (shorebased)

RYA Day Skipper Practical Course Notes | | Shop | RYA)

RYA Competent Crew Skills - 2nd Edition (eBook) | eBooks | Shop | RYA

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 05:29   #20

Thanks boatman, the practical notes I already ordered some days ago. But for you second suggestion - will the competent crew book really cover all the theoretical knowledge I need to start the Day Skipper practical course?
taddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 06:09   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddd View Post
Thanks boatman, the practical notes I already ordered some days ago. But for you second suggestion - will the competent crew book really cover all the theoretical knowledge I need to start the Day Skipper practical course?
It should be.. its the CC course book and.. if you can't pass that the chances are you'll be prepared inadequately for the Day Skipper.
One thing I learnt at school.. if it aint 'Parrot Fashion'.. it aint Right.
Examiners don't like to over think..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 20-02-2016, 06:28   #22

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

There are several books that cover the complete Yachtmaster, cant remember the details but just type yachtmaster into amazon. Definitely worth getting
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 06:35   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
There are several books that cover the complete Yachtmaster, cant remember the details but just type yachtmaster into amazon. Definitely worth getting
Like The Complete Yachtmaster by Tom Cunliffe. I enjoyed reading that one. It's already in its 8th edition.
thomaskoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 06:42   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
It should be.. its the CC course book and.. if you can't pass that the chances are you'll be prepared inadequately for the Day Skipper.
One thing I learnt at school.. if it aint 'Parrot Fashion'.. it aint Right.
Examiners don't like to over think..
Forgot to say..
I carry a copy with me on deliveries ever since my 'Oz' trip so 'Experienced Crew' can reference it..

Tags
skipper