Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 09:54   #31
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 4,940
Images: 1
Re: RYA Day Skipper Certificate

Zonker

Interesting you should post a link to a danish site about the three yachtsmen who just lost their lives in the biscay. Do you speak danish? If not, then the reason they capsized and lost their lives was piss poor seamanship and even worse judgement. They bought a trimaran which was not designed for open ocean sailing, then rhey set out across the bisacy when weather conditions were reported as "gale to storm". I've not been on the biscay in those conditions but have been informed by people who have that you don't ever want to do that. Never ever.

Sailing around britain in the winter is akin to those three. A total lack of judgement, not to mention piss poor seamanship.

But you seem to insist, let us know where to send the flowers
__________________

__________________
I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted - Elmore Leonard
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 19:06   #32
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Zonker you may be aptly named if you consider such a autumn/winter voyage. Especially since you say you haven" zero" ocean sailing experience.


As to training . As a former instructor I would not agree that the Day skipper is not a valuable cert. it's a 5 day on water course and covers a lot of ground. More then enough for a beginner.

After that I'd suggest ignoring yacht master coastal, just go mile building over time to get enough to do the YM offshore exam. It helps to do the shore based course as well . I would recommend a weeks YM exam prep course, with the exam immediately after that.

BUT. Take your time mile building. Doing it all in one go misses the point. The issue is to build experience. Try different environments , different boats etc. what the examiner is looking for is can you skipper a boat , not that you can reel of information. This is what many forget. You need experience of command and exposure to lots of different sailing environments.

pS don't go round Scotland in the winter. I'd prefer not to hear about you on the news.


Dave
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 20:22   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 264
Images: 1
Re: RYA Day Skipper Certificate

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Zonker you may be aptly named if you consider such a autumn/winter voyage. Especially since you say you haven" zero" ocean sailing experience.


As to training . As a former instructor I would not agree that the Day skipper is not a valuable cert. it's a 5 day on water course and covers a lot of ground. More then enough for a beginner.

After that I'd suggest ignoring yacht master coastal, just go mile building over time to get enough to do the YM offshore exam. It helps to do the shore based course as well . I would recommend a weeks YM exam prep course, with the exam immediately after that.

BUT. Take your time mile building. Doing it all in one go misses the point. The issue is to build experience. Try different environments , different boats etc. what the examiner is looking for is can you skipper a boat , not that you can reel of information. This is what many forget. You need experience of command and exposure to lots of different sailing environments.

pS don't go round Scotland in the winter. I'd prefer not to hear about you on the news.


Dave
Dave - thanks for your input.

I have planned to do a Baltic Sea and a Round-Britain trip during the next 2 years (excluding winter months ... :-) ... My original plan was to do first the Baltic Sea trip since it is said to be much easier.

But most likely I will buy a cat in the UK and also register there (remember the UK registering / VAT thread ... :-) ... That is why I thought I could just start the Round-Britain trip right on.

Yea ... even during the summer months, seems UK waters are pretty challenging. So most likely I will stick with my original plan.
__________________
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 10:48   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 650
Re: RYA Day Skipper Certificate

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Interesting you should post a link to a danish site about the three yachtsmen who just lost their lives in the biscay. Do you speak danish? If not, then the reason they capsized and lost their lives was piss poor seamanship and even worse judgement. They bought a trimaran which was not designed for open ocean sailing, then rhey set out across the bisacy when weather conditions were reported as "gale to storm". I've not been on the biscay in those conditions but have been informed by people who have that you don't ever want to do that. Never ever.
A great (true) sea story about transiting the Bay of Biscay in horrid weather is The Boats of Cherbourg by Abraham Rabinovich.

I wish Zonker luck in his sailing and wonder how he's doing.
__________________
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 14:26   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 264
Images: 1
Re: RYA Day Skipper Certificate

He is doing well and enjoying winter sailing ... :-)

Oh and he just finished the YM theory exam this week.
__________________
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 14:28   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 650
Re: RYA Day Skipper Certificate

Congratulations!
__________________
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 08:36   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Currently San Juan, Puerto Rico
Posts: 13
Re: RYA Day Skipper Certificate

My question is can a non-us citizen get a USCG Captains license and whats the best way to do this?
Thanks and sorry for changing the subject! :-)
__________________
richardswart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 08:43   #38
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: RYA Day Skipper Certificate

I beleive that the OUPV ( 6 pack ) can be made available to non-US citizens, but I think you have to be a resident.( ie Social Security No.) All higher form of certs require citizenship

The USCG Merchant qualifications are part of the IMO recognised merchant marine worldwide qualifications, normally you do them in your own national colleges,

I presume you have the required sea time.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 08:46   #39
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: RYA Day Skipper Certificate

Quote:
He is doing well and enjoying winter sailing ... :-)

Oh and he just finished the YM theory exam this week.
When you going to do the real YM exam, any plans yet.
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 12:18   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 264
Images: 1
Re: RYA Day Skipper Certificate

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
When you going to do the real YM exam, any plans yet.
As you can imagine, as a Day Skipper candidate, I have not a lot of practical experience (in tidal waters). But I will be basically living on the boat and travelling/sailing during the next 2 years in Europe. After that period, I hope that I am "examinable" for the YM Coastal. That is my "short term" goal ... :-)
__________________
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 16:09   #41
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 111
Re: RYA Day Skipper Certificate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
As you can imagine, as a Day Skipper candidate, I have not a lot of practical experience (in tidal waters). But I will be basically living on the boat and travelling/sailing during the next 2 years in Europe. After that period, I hope that I am "examinable" for the YM Coastal. That is my "short term" goal ... :-)
As good a goal as any.
A couple of advantages of the RYA day skipper if sailing in UK.

The UK is ISLA system A which is unmentioned by CYA or many other N. American sailing courses. Ithink RYA covers both A and B at least it does at higher levels.

Also UK tide tables will be taught in day skipper and they are the ones you will need sailing round the UK.

Add UK weather forcast areas.

good luck with your voyage.
__________________

__________________
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
skipper

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:12.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.