Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2010, 00:59   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
If you have the knowledge already why pay over the odds... just pay the fee for the test... mileage not required....
Day Skipper cant be done that way, RYA Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore can. But DS requires you to do the course, which is in itself the exam also.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 08:08   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380 - Times like these. Port: Mooloolaba, Australia
I’ve just been through all this while preparing for a 6 month cruise around the Med. I’m an Aussie, and have an Australian boat license, but was concerned about what the authorities in Europe would require, as I had already booked a charter in Croatia for 2010 before deciding to buy the boat, and the Charter company informed me that I would now need a Captain’s certificate (i.e. ICC) and VHF operator’s certificate in order to take the charter in Croatia. The course that the charter company offered in order to meet this requirement was approximately 2-3 days long, and I would have done the course at the charter base in Croatia, just before starting the charter. In the end I bought the boat and cancelled the charter, so then figured that I would need some certificates for the 6 month sailing adventure which was now in the works.
I was told that generally an RYA ICC rating was required, however, I was then clearly told that as I am not an EU citizen, I was not eligible to receive an RYA ICC. So after searching the net for a solution, and not receiving any firm information on what certificate could be used in lieu of the RYA ICC for non-EU types, I decided that I would just attend an ‘International Yacht Training’, Bareboat Skipper course, and a VHF Operators course, in order to have some ‘International’ certificates on hand in case I was asked.
Since then we have cruised for 4 months in the South of France, the West coast of Italy, Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, the south Coast of Italy, and Greece, and have never been asked for any ‘skipper’s’ or ‘VHF’ certificates as such, however, we have been stopped and had the boat documents checked by various authorities around 6 times during our cruise, but all they were interested in was the boat registration, insurance, and were we legal with respect to the VAT on the boat. Additionally, my insurance company didn’t care about my certificates. I sent them copies for their reference, but I don’t think they even read them, just filed them.
The courses were a heap of fun, and I'm happy to have the certificates, because you never know what grumpy official you might meet. So if someone does ask to see my ‘ICC’, I will just have to try and explain that I'm not eligible for an ICC, but I have these other international certificates ..........
Old 16-09-2010, 07:12   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The ICC is a United Nations document, I would have taught that Australia would be a signatory. But it seems not. Due to the Belgians scaming the system and offering cheap ICC;s to everyone, its seems the rules were modified and now only national sail training schools can provide it to their nationals,, ( it doesnt even work across teh EU). Its important to realise that the ICC is only useful to show that you are competence in a boat of your own nationality. Its not a charter cert. even though sometimes its used as one.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 19:17   #19

Hi Hoppy
I'm currently doing my DS Theory course via self-study/distance learning. Mine is through the National Marine Correspondence School (NMCS, Full Range of RYA Theory Courses). Their materials are good - everything comes on CD - and you have access to their tutors by email or phone as needed.
alifeaquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 23:05   #20

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alifeaquatic View Post
Hi Hoppy
I'm currently doing my DS Theory course via self-study/distance learning. Mine is through the National Marine Correspondence School (NMCS, Full Range of RYA Theory Courses). Their materials are good - everything comes on CD - and you have access to their tutors by email or phone as needed.
Just a couple of questions:
Do they indicate how many hours it should take?
What do they charge?
Is there a time limit to get your practical side done?

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 23:08   #21

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burls View Post
... I decided that I would just attend an ‘International Yacht Training’, Bareboat Skipper course, and a VHF Operators course, in order to have some ‘International’ certificates on hand in case I was asked.....
Sounds like a good option.
Where did you do the course?
Was it on your own boat?
What did they charge?
And how long did it take?

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 15:36   #22

Boat: Oyster 485
Send a message via Skype™ to sobriyah
It is necessary to pass the Theory by a certified RYA training school before you can do the practical.

Tassie - I am not entirely sure that is correct for the Day Skipper course.
sobriyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 16:18   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Day Skipper cant be done that way, RYA Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore can. But DS requires you to do the course, which is in itself the exam also.

Dave
I thought the Offshore required a 500mile out and back as part of the qualification for eligibility for the test... or has that changed as well

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia