Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 05:59   #1

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic
Renting a Charter

So what does one need to be rent a charter?

It's a lofty goal for someone like me who has 1 whole summer of messing around on a 25' boat but I should have a few more summers left in me .

I was thinking of renting a charter in the winter of 2012 and what I have so far is a Canadian Boater's License, White Sail 1,2 and 3 and Canadian Yachting Association's Basic Keelboat. I also have CPSS courses for Junior Navigator (sun celestial), Basic Sail, Marine Maintenance, Piloting, Advanced Piloting and my radio license.

Do you have to show time on the water? The CYA course gave me a log book but it's more for their courses than a day to day thing.

I didn't keep a log last summer since I was always in sight of land, less than 3 miles from my home harbour and mainly, too concerned about keeping the shiny bits out of the water to worry about charts and writing things down. I don't have knotmeter or any sort of distance measuring device on board anyway. Is this something I should add to the boat for next summer?

Thanks
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:31   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I'm not familiar with all the Canadian names, but it sounds to me that following up your keelboat course with a live aboard bareboat course might be a next good step.

When I started chartering, they never asked to actually see any log - just give a brief resume.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:15   #3

Based on my chartering experience I think you could charter already in the BVIs. If you do not have experience anchoring, do that 5 or 10 times to flush out that part of your resume.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, renting