Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2012, 07:02   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Reality Check Please

I have been offered a delivery from New Orleans to Playa del Carmen Mexico of a 110' crew boat.... thats the easy part.

The guy setting up the job wants a copy of my Master's License (understandable) and my passport.... never been asked for that before. Considering the identity theft stuff going on, I'm a bit reluctant to ship off a copy of my passport without some sort of documentation (such as a delivery contract).

I ran the guy through a background check, and other than some arrests for possession of deer meat without a hunting license, and a bankruptcy in 2009, he is clean.

I don't need the money from the job, but I still like playing with the big go-fasts. What say y'all?
Old 18-08-2012, 09:02   #2

Re: Reality Check Please

Tell him you will give him a copy when he meets you to take off and gives you the deposit...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 09:08   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Is the agent Mexican or of US persuasion? He may need the passport to arrange entry to MX.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 09:15   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Is the agent Mexican or of US persuasion? He may need the passport to arrange entry to MX.
That's just my concern...... The guy setting it up is NOT a crew agent (or agency) just a "friend" of the owner of the boats....

I've received more info... there are TWO crewboats being delivered.. I was referred by another captain we know in common as being available for crew. I come to find out they have three licenses on each boat, and in reality needed ABs but couldn't find any so they are trying to crew the boat with masters.

I've delivered to Mex before and was only asked for my passport by the Mex authorities when clearing in.... never by the owner or crew agency. Something doesn't "smell" right about this job.
Old 18-08-2012, 09:53   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

I recall in Italy the hotels I stayed in not only asked to see your passport, but would actually hold on to them. It was very disconcerting to me, but the all did it at the time; apparently it was the law.

Perhaps you can provide him a copy of your passport with certain identifiable things being left out, such as birth date and place of birth. All he really needs to see is your picture, current expiry date and full name... the rest is irrelevant. Seeing many countries now want a passport with more than 6 months before expiry before they let you in, perhaps he is covering his butt to ensure that that if he hires you, that you are able to have no problems at the destination.
Old 18-08-2012, 10:24   #6

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ahh theres been some messy things going on down here with crew boats and deliveries!! Ive been contacted on a couple of jobs here lately and something is screwy!! This fella wants copys of things Im not really wanting to let copys of go to someone over the net or even by mail !! some of the things he wants are not easy to get and I feel I worked to hard to get all this stuff together so I can move these boats with no problems as far as MY Paper work is concerned, Ive been in and out of Isla M so much the Harbor master knows me by name LOL and he knows Connie almost as well !! I turned this job down ! Im pretty sure its the same folks ! or at least it sure sounds like it !! just sayin, your paper work is what yall need to work so ya got to protect it !!
Old 18-08-2012, 12:13   #7

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Ship passport to an unlicensed stranger? No way. The guy had a bankruptcy 3 years back and may have found a niche to make fast money. Could be positioning of smuggling boats. Sounds a tad like cartelista bizness. Could be straightforward, could be a morass.
Old 18-08-2012, 12:20   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Do the crew boats even exist?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 12:50   #9

Boat: 1968 Columbia 36

I'm working on an anchor handling tug supply vessel (AHTS) in Tampico, Mex right now. This is our 3rd trip down here in the past 4 months. I can tell you from experience that there is a LOT of paperwork involved in clearing in - and out -of this country no matter how often we down. I've lost track of how many copies of my passort, MMD, etc. that we've provided these people.
Having said that, I have been with the same company for almost 5 years and providing a copy of a current passport was part of the application process. But I work for an established, well known organization with an HR dept and such. Maybe these guys should send you a copy of their credentials to prove that they are legit. Otherwise, I would balk.
Good luck!
jaxmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 13:27   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Tell him you will give him a copy when he meets you to take off and gives you the deposit...?
Therein is yet another issue.... Only wants to "pay upon completion"

I was born at night...... just not LAST night; next thing he is going to want me to put the airline tix on MY American Express!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax
Maybe these guys should send you a copy of their credentials to prove that they are legit. Otherwise, I would balk.
Capital Idea!
Old 26-09-2012, 20:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo
I ran the guy through a background check, and other than some arrests for possession of deer meat without a hunting license, and a bankruptcy in 2009, he is clean.
Enough said, for my taste anyway. Although not directly related to the contemplated delivery, those facts are sufficient to make me question his general reliability and judgment.

P.S. If that's a relatively clean record, what would be considered 'dirty'?
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 21:31   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick

Does the abbreviated term "FO" have any meaning that they would understand???
Old 27-09-2012, 01:57   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

He probably just wants to make sure the folks he hires do have the passports they claim to.....which IMO is not unreasonable. Whether you wish to supply that to an unknown intermediary is up to you.

I would compromise - and send him a copy of your passport, but with some of the personal details blanked out and the last line of the machine readable code at the bottom (it includes your passport no. and your DOB, plus some numbers based on those that are generated using an Algorythmn - so that even when another authority does not have access to your actual passport records they can tell whether the numbers have simply been made up - of course I am sure not rocket science to crack that algorythmn, but it defeats the cut & paste crowd).

And say that you will provide a full copy later - when contract signed (whether you intend to or not!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 05:28   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The rest of the story:
Turns out the guy was legit. A friend took the job after supplying all her creds. Got to LA about 3 days before Issac hit. She spent a week (paid) aboard at the dock waiting on the weather to calm down. The trip took a week, not 3 days. Turn around in Mex was difficult, but eventually she was flown back to Tampa. 2 weeks' of work.... which for her was a good thing because she wasn't otherwise working.
Old 27-09-2012, 06:32   #15

Better safe than sorry. In any case, she needed the gig more than you ... so it's all good.

Thanks for the update.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote