Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2017, 16:50   #1

Question about 385 Tons?

So one of my Favorite Dream Videos to watch is the Nordhavn 120 Delivery video on YT.

That made me think about if you owned that boat as Owner/Master and wanted to Circumnavigate...

Would you need a License/Certification because of the displacement Tonnage of 385 tons?
Les_Garten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 03:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Question about 385 Tons?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Les.

No - not as a private pleasure owner.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 14:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Les.

No - not as a private pleasure owner.
Good to know, started saving last week...
Old 04-11-2017, 08:05   #4
Marine Service Provider

I used to teach OUPV and 100 Ton Masters License courses in the Northwest. We would get students who were buying some big boats without much boating experience. A lot of the students had been told by their insurance companies that they couldn't drive their own boat unless they had a captains license. I imagine that would also apply in this case. Sure, it's your boat and legally, you can do whatever you want with it - but your insurance company may have something to say about it.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDsailing View Post
I used to teach OUPV and 100 Ton Masters License courses in the Northwest. We would get students who were buying some big boats without much boating experience. A lot of the students had been told by their insurance companies that they couldn't drive their own boat unless they had a captains license. I imagine that would also apply in this case. Sure, it's your boat and legally, you can do whatever you want with it - but your insurance company may have something to say about it.
Right. That's one of the reasons I was asking as well.

I had read that some countries/harbors require X amount of insurance as well and was wondering about that whether you could get that much insurance for 385GT without some type of license.

Thanx!
Old 04-11-2017, 13:31   #6
Marine Service Provider

Yeah - I am fairly sure you will have to be licensed in order to get the boat insured. Another option of course is to hire qualified crew. The problem then is that you can't drive your own boat. It would be sad to own a boat and not be allowed to drive it yourself...
Old 04-11-2017, 13:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDsailing View Post
Yeah - I am fairly sure you will have to be licensed in order to get the boat insured. Another option of course is to hire qualified crew. The problem then is that you can't drive your own boat. It would be sad to own a boat and not be allowed to drive it yourself...
That wouldn't happen!

It looks like it would take 2 years of sea time for 100 tons, what do you do to get one for 400 Tons?
Old 04-11-2017, 14:02   #8
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

The USCG used to require the operator of any pleasure craft above 199 tons to be licensed.
You may need a 500 ton ticket, better check with the USCG if in the US, although Nordhavn’s sales department would surely know and help you with crew and training if you sign a contract.
Old 04-11-2017, 14:03   #9

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

"I used to teach OUPV and 100 Ton Masters License courses in the Northwest. We would get students who were buying some big boats without much boating experience."

That is the joke about the Masters License. How do they qualify for a license. Over the years I have met several "Licensed Captains" who had very little experience, and in one case a couple, who were licensed, and were terrified to operate their boats. The couple hired a captain to sail their boat for them, yet still had "Captain" on their boat cards.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 14:15   #10
Marine Service Provider

The ticket only opens the door. It's what you do with it that is really important. I know a lot more now than when I originally earned my 100 ton license. But without that license I never would have had the opportunities to learn.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:27   #11

If you are dealing with a N120, you have at least 3-4 crew members. I love Nordhavn, but crew is pretty much required after their 72/76 models. Even then, you are hiring help for maintenance. I would love to have one in the 40-57 ft range though. Great boats and great company.
spearfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:23   #12
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. Over the years I have met several "Licensed Captains" who had very little experience,
Did they lie and cheat on their sea-time forms?

720 Days are required for the lowest grade of Master ticket, if someone had “Very Little Experience” they should probably be investigated and prosecuted.

Some of us have spent years in the Merchant Marine and years on pleasure crafts to earn the sea time allowing us to sit for the exam and got no patience for cheaters and liars.