Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 16:51   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Power Squadron BOC vs ICC

It sounds like the US Power Squadron is aligning their education mission with the Coast Guards request to congress that recreational boat operators become licensed.

The silver lining if there is one would be that the UPSP is attempting to have their Boat Operators Certification Program comply with UN Resolution 40. Thus the USPS BOC would be in effect an ICC and should be accepted in Europe.

It appears that the USPS has arranged with RYA to allow BOC certified persons to take the test and get a CEVNI certificate. (Lost the reference for that)

So this thread is to start a discussion on the USPS BOC, CEVNI, and the chances that a BOC will be accepted in Europe and worldwide. And the chances that the US will require licensing of recreational operators sometime in the next 20 years.

Regards, Ethan
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 16:07   #2

Re: Power Squadron BOC vs ICC

I've no issue with licensing. Many states in the US, and other countries already require some kind of certification with reciprocal agreements (as in New England). I do have a problem with more bureaucracy though and by adding more red tape at the federal level in this economy is criminal; because you can bet they'd never be able to run it except at a loss.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:24   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Power Squadron BOC vs ICC

I'd rather not have a national recreational boating license.... I will support education cards.

In this thread I'm mostly interested in how to get an ICC with CEVNI while in the US.

The USPS has started a certificate scheme that may become ICC compliant (resolution 40 compliant) and allow CEVNI as well. But that appears to be moving slowly. They have 4 levels of certification planned with only the first 2 implemented. Inland Navigator and Coastal Navigator are in place but are not ICC compliant. Advanced Coastal Navigator and Offshore Navigator are planned and are planned to be ICC compliant but are not implemented yet. I've asked about when but have not received an answer yet. (Anyone know?)

Doing some more research shown that International Yacht Training in Florida can issue ICC and has authorized a number of US and Canadian schools to issue ICC. SO there is another option for getting an ICC in North America. http://iytworld.com/

Regards, Ethan
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icc