Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2010, 04:53   #1

PLEASE - I Need Your Experience / Help / Advice / Knowledge / Input

Hi all

I am new to the forum so first of all hello

I need your help. I have a few questions and I need help answering them. I would really appreciate feed back if you have done this before or have any tips.
Here is a bit of back ground information.
I am 19 years old and I am currently in Gambia (Africa) doing charity. I have been here since the beginning of May 2010 and will be finishing around the end of October beginning of November.
I live in Jersey Channel Island.
Two days ago I came across a sailing Course/Traineeship. This will help me get a Job in the marine industry.
The only problem now is Funding. I have emailed the Company running this Traineeship (Flying Fish) they could not offer any bursaries, Grants or Loans. The only thing they could advise is a Professional and Career Development loan.
Now here is a few of the Problems.
My Course Costs ₤15,290 excluding medical and flight.
The maximum I can get with this Loan is ₤8,000. This is not enough Money to cover the costs of the course and my living expenses.
I cannot Fund myself as I have been in Gambia the last 6 months doing Charity work. Friend and Family is not really A option so I am stuck. So if you have any ideas or if you have done this before please I would love to hear from you.
Apparently I may be able to get a Student Loan. Is this true?
I would go to my local bank for help but Gambia does not have the big International banks. Also my Phone was taken whilst out here so I cannot really get in Contact.
Bearing in mind that this Course starts November the 5th. Do you think it is possible to get full financial backing in time?

More information on the course I would like to take;

Start date 7th November at 17:00
Sail to Jersey on Wednesday 8th December
Finish Cowes England on 18th December
Australia Starts 29th January
Finish Date Saturday 18th April 18:00

What I Will Get

3,100-3,700 Sea Miles Logged
RYA Competent Crew
RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Theory
RYA Day Skipper Practical
Yacht Maintenance Course
RYA Diesel Engine
CIEH Food Safety Level 2
STCW 95 Elementary First Aid
STCW95 Personal Survival Techniques
STCW 95 Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities
STCW 95 Fire Prevention & Fire fighting
RYA Short Range Radio (GMDSS/DSC)
RYA Power Boat Level 2
MCA Yacht Rating
Spinnaker Handling Course
RYA Dinghy Level 1 Start Sailing
RYA Dinghy Level 2 Basic Skills
RYA Yacht master Theory
RYA Watch Leader
RYA Coastal Skipper Course
RYA Qualifying Passages
ACMA HF Radio Operator
RYA Radar Operator
RYA Qualifying Ocean Passage
RYA/MCA or RYA/YA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore &Master of Yachts 2006gt (Unrestricted)

As you can see the course is in two parts. The first Part is in Cowes Isle of Wight the Next in Sydney Australia. Before I had even seen this course I had a holiday booked to Australia on the 19th of December which co insides very well with the Course/Traineeship. I will also be applying for a working Visa (6months) seen as my Course finishes in Australia what a perfect place to start.

I need help with financial advice.
Also do you think it is possible to a quire the full funding before November the 7th

Thank you
Robert Hunnisett
roberthunnisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 05:04   #2

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Wow Robert, that is one expensive course! I think given your tight deadline you will have to wait until next year to take the course. That will give you a bit if time to work and save up funds for additional expenses. Good Luck.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 05:25   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
For that kind of money and time commitment, I really think you should re-evaluate whether or not the certs you'll come out with are truly necessary for the type of "job in the marine industry" that you're hoping for. For an entry level job, no employer would require a prospective employee to have all those tickets punched.

Another consideration is that even if you complete the full course, what do you have, really? All that knowledge will fade quickly unless you put it to use. Unless you've lined up some way of actually practicing those skills, you risk having wasted you time and money.

It's been said that you can learn to sail in a day, but it takes a lifetime to really get good at it. It's the "doing it" part that really counts.
Old 21-09-2010, 05:33   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthunnisett View Post
So if you have any ideas
Come back here and get a job..........and then save up for the trip / training?........for next year. or the year after.

Job market not great at the moment, but it ain't a 1930's style depression either. Unfortunately you seem to have the finance industry happy years £££ - for new entrants who can read or write

Alternatively if family don't have the cash, maybe they would guarantee a loan (or take on direct?)...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 07:39   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I suspect what we have here is a 19 y.o. who likes to wander from one idea to another. He posted on Lonely Planet that he needs help to get to Cairo, Egypt after his "charity work" ends. See: your help and advice please - Lonely Planet travel forum

Now he picked up on this "Flying Fish" School thing in Australia & England which is described as:
"Flying Fish - Offers careers advice and training in yachting, dinghy sailing, diving, windsurfing, rescue boat driving, kiteboarding, surfing and a course for professional watersports instructors. Their recruitment pages are a free service for employers and jobseekers. Training and jobs in water sports and winter sports from Flying Fish "

That leads us to the best advice anybody can give him which is contained in David Old Jersey's post.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 07:56   #6

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
I figured he was phishing, didn't want to be rude just in case he was sincere which is why I just suggested he you know, work and save money up. Weird concept, but its worked for me.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 08:06   #7

Suggest you get some sailing experience first. You could do what I did and pay your way across the Atlantic on the ARC, then hitch your way around as crew. Once you get to NZ you'll have a much better idea of whether or not you want a career in the 'marine industry' and you'll know what you need to know, what you don't know and what tickets you need. And if you're sensible, you'll have amassed enough hours to be able to get your tickets without all that expenditure.
YourOldNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 09:58   #8

Robert

The course is the Yachtmaster Fast Track. I would suggest, like some others, that you get some experience while building up a cash reserve. The course will be there next year as well.

BTW - I did some volunteer work in Gambia in the early 80's, providing some teacher training. It was great experience.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 14:53   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I agree with the "Old Goat" and Hud as well... you'll be over qualified and lets face it... do you really need all those courses and more importantly... would you enjoy it.
My suggestion is get back to the UK/Channel Isles and get in touch with these people... you can earn money, do a great job, learn to sail and gain RYA qualifications with a Charitable Organisation who do a great service for under priviliged and disabled kids from all over the UK....
Salcombe ICC - RYA Youth Multi Activity Adventure & Sail Training Centre, Salcombe, South Devon

PS; its a gorgeous location with great work mates as well... enjoyed my time as Boatmaster there

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 03:05   #10

Hi all

Thank you for your replies.
First of all

osirissail ; About your comment

I suspect what we have here is a 19 y.o. who likes to wander from one idea to another. He posted on Lonely Planet that he needs help to get to Cairo, Egypt after his "charity work" ends. See: your help and advice please - Lonely Planet travel forum ...... Helpful criticism or demeaning ?

Firstly There is never any harm in trying to researching something, This is how we learn. I have had a lot of options and you will probably see some more on different forums but i am just testing the water and finding out if things certain things are realistic.

The reason i came across this course in the first place is because i was looking for work in Australia. I have a family holiday booked already. So i was looking for work or training in Sydney that co in-sided.

I have past sailing experience and hours logged. Also i have quite a good knowledge of sailing theory already i just need to start taking the exams.

David in response to coming back to jersey and earning the money. My mother is working in careers Jersey and she said that the job market is worse now than when i left. I found it hard to get a job in Jersey, that was why i made my decision to do charity work for 6 months to hopefully increase my chances. I was intending to come back but when i saw this opportunity that co-in-sided with my flight booked to Australia already. I thought i would try and investigate it more and see if it was viable.

Having read through your comments and having spoken to people i don't think it is really viable with my time span. I think i shall just boast up my hours and training this year.

I have another question to ask now. Seen as i will be in Australia on November the 19th a minimum of 6 months (i have a working Visa)
Does any one have advice on charity sailing work or hour builders in Australia.

boatman61 You suggest a great site in England, I don't suppose you have another for Australia. thanks

Thank you all for your advice i found it more than help
Great forum i have been having a read through.
roberthunnisett is offline   Reply With Quote