Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2010, 10:28   #1

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably
Our Training Will Begin a Lot Sooner Than We Thought !

After speaking to the ASA rep at the Annapolis show, Hubby and I have decided to start our ASA classes next summer in Vermont. It does not imply that we take a trip in the Caribbean as we had first decided, which would have to be done next fall. It also means that we will only have to hire a trainer on our first charter to complete two classes, the ASA 114 and 106. We find that these courses are an important step since we want a catamaran and are talking about visiting this beautifull planet as much as possible.

We also are looking into getting a used monohull that we could buy for a little less than 10 000$ to go sailing on Champlain lake so we can practice what we will learn before our big move. During the winter times, we will do bareboat chartering on a catamaran.

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 07:06   #2

Funny, the wife and I find ourselves also starting training MUCH sooner than we thought we would. We came back from 7 days on a Carnival cruise (with the kids and her parents...joy) and decided that the next time we go down island, it'll be on a sailboat. Not sure if that sail boat will be someone elses, or our own...but it'll be a sailboat. Class starts 4 Nov. and we can't wait. I've already read the book from cover to cover...and she's looked at the pictures...but then again, I've got more free time than she does.

I think it's gonna be fun...and I'm working hard to keep up her enthusiasm. I have had to slow her down a little bit though. She's already narrowed it down to a late 90's 40+ft Hunter for our first liveaboard. Got to love that woman.

ka
kingairpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 07:32   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, kingairpilot.

Indeed, you gotta love that woman (whichever you’re with).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 07:47   #4

Boat: Island Packet 380
Doesn't feel great when things start happening in the direction you would like to head? My husband and I are still in the learning phases as well. I guess I will be saying that indefinately since I believe we will never declare that the learning is complete. The ASA classes are very valuable and we have taken them as well. I guess we did it a little backwards tho. Did the charter in the carribean first...boy, when I look back on that trip, I am glad I didn't know what I didn't know. Then we bought the boat...yes, we still looked like we didn't know what we were doing, however the actual sailing part teaches and corrects you fairly quickly. You get that more real time feedback of...well, that didn't work.

Then we finally started taking the classes and to date have tried to take any classes we could get our hands on. We have completed all the US Power Squadron classes through celestial navigation. ASA classes through 105. Now I have to find a class for this winter. Since we live in Minnesota...once the sailboat gets put away, we need some sailing related activity in the winter months to get our sailing fix. Perhaps this winter will be the weather class.

Start planning your charter now...it will be the best thing you will do. Gave us the confidence to sail a bigger boat in larger waters and besides it's just ridiculouslyfun.

Welcome to the forum and happy sailing!
Old 23-10-2010, 17:40   #5

Funny thing is that I crewed on a 90ft gaff rigged ketch back in the early 90's. We where usually motoring even with the sails up due to the fact the pointy end was the stern and we where 110 ton fully loaded. It was a motor sailer if I ever saw one. Anyway, I decided to forget all of the things that I half learned in my early twentys and start from scratch. Additionally, if any of you where in St Thomas/Antigua in the early 90's you know that many, MANY brain cells where killed during my sailing career. ASA 101 starts 4 Nov. I can't wait.

I think the progression will be 101, some sailing, higher courses, relocating to a waterfront (ie: saltwater) location, buying a weekend boat/guest room, more classes, some more sailing, a bareboat charter, get the kids out of the house, bigger boat (leaning toward the 44 Hunter) selling the house and moving to a marina, cutting the docklines and cruising the Islands.Thats the 7 year plan. What do you guys and girls think? want to come along?

ka
kingairpilot is offline   Reply With Quote