Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 10:58   #1

Boat: Currently boatless but trying to corret this.
Orange Coast College

Hello,

Has anyone ever sailed with Orange Coast College aboard the Alaska Eagle? If I can get the time off work I am planning on taking one of their classes and sailing from Hawaii to San Francisco in July 2008. If anyone has any experience with them I would love to hear from you.

Thank you in Advance,

Tim
Tim - Blind Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 16:49   #2

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
My information is a bit old. So don't know how the boat is doing now and the instructors are.

When I first moved to So California in '88 I took most of the classes that OCC had working my way up to the big boats and eventually signing on for the Newport - Marquesas leg on Alaska Eagle in '91 I think. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the passage would be more difficult and physically challenging. That's not to say that there weren't times when it was a lot of work and times when I was tremendously bored during the 17 day passage. But I was 26 at the time, and not actually being "responsible" for the boat and crew makes it easier. We had planned to make the passage in 14 days, but ended up taking a detour around a tropical storm which resulted in a 3 days of close reaching in 25-30knots. I thought my brain was going to come loose from my skull. But most of the time it was a glorious broad spinnaker reach down hill. Nothing like being on the helm, surfing down waves in the middle of the night.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Mark
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:10   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqiq View Post
Sometimes I am tired of my present work and I want to relieve the stresses and strains from work, so I would like to ask is there any good idea or tips on making me more happier or feel relaxed?
I read this thread because I attended Orange Coast College in '66-'67, though I was not involved in their fine sailing program at the time. When I read your post, iqiq, I was a bit puzzled by it. I hesitate to respond, since it's clearly off-topic from the thread-starter's original post, but I also don't like to see your inquiry left dangling.

If you are indeed feeling stress and strain, and want to achieve a relaxed state of mind, I suggest you learn the practice of Transcendental Meditation.

If it's "happiness" you seek, I respectfully submit that that is an emotional state that only you can define for your life.

I also sense that what you are really seeking is more stimulation to relieve your boredom, and that you must have some interest in sailing, or you wouldn't have joined this Forum in the first place. Your profile is too incomplete to present a full picture of your situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqiq View Post
I oftern go to the dance hall to sing and dance or play sports on weekends, but that is not enough, always doing the same thing is boring. Recenty, I found on the internet that learning a new skill during spare time is a good idea, it can make us more intellectual and make more friends.
If you do have an interest in sailing, and you're close to Orange Coast College, you might very well discover that learning sailing through OCC is both stimulating AND relaxing, and that you will make many new friends.

If you're not actually close enough to OCC to take advantage of the school's sailing program, you can still get involved in sailing. Wherever you are, you will find there is a way to get involved in this sport, and once you try it, you will probably be hooked for life!

Good luck to you. By the way, welcome to Cruisers Forum.

TaoJones
Old 08-11-2007, 08:52   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Alas poor igig, I knew her naught. 'She' and her other SPAMming friends have been dropped into the bit bucket of cyberspace. Perhaps she'll play someplace else when she is bored.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote