Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2016, 08:54   #1

Opening a charter business in Canada

Wading through transport Canada website and not really finding answers I need. I am wondering if anyone like maybe Jackdale could help me sort this out. I have my Yachtmaster Offshore Sailing cert commercially endorsed and I have my Canadian boaters card in Ontario. I wanted to live aboard a sail boat in the summer and take paying customers out on charter in Georgian Bay part of the Great Lake Huron. Not sure if I may do this with my current RYA and Ontario boater card.
The non summer months I want to be in the Caribbean taking on charters.
Sonny69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 16:40   #2

Re: Opening a charter business in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny69 View Post
Wading through transport Canada website and not really finding answers I need. I am wondering if anyone like maybe Jackdale could help me sort this out. I have my Yachtmaster Offshore Sailing cert commercially endorsed and I have my Canadian boaters card in Ontario. I wanted to live aboard a sail boat in the summer and take paying customers out on charter in Georgian Bay part of the Great Lake Huron. Not sure if I may do this with my current RYA and Ontario boater card.
The non summer months I want to be in the Caribbean taking on charters.
First bit of bad news. Canada does not accept any non Canadian certificates so your RYA is not valid in Canada.
A small bit of good news, If you have logged and recorded sea time with a letter or testimonial from an employer. the time may be counted towards
a Canadian certificate.
More bad news. In order to legally take passengers or charter commercially. You will need to get the boat inspected and approved by TC.
More bad news you will need to get the required certification for the type of operation and area.
Your best bet is to go into your nearest Transport Canada office and speak to a live person. Who will explain how to start the process

PBOC plus required MED plus Basic Marine First Aid plus VHF. = Basic Minimum licence.
You will have to take the Canadian MED courses. The RYA ones are not recognised.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, charter