Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2011, 10:39   #1

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Online Weather Courses ?

Forgive me if this has already been discussed...I did search a few different times and did not find a thread for it.

Have any of you ever taken any Online Weather Courses, or heard of some good ones???

I started digging into Lee Chesneau's book "Heavy Weather Avoidance" and reading the 500 Mb analysis. It is a great book, but with very little but the very basics of surface weather analysis, some of the information is over my head.

So I am going to get a book or two on surface weather in the marine environment, but I would love to find and interactive course online, possibly one where you can take tests and get feedback...

Anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks so much...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 10:55   #2

Boat: PSC 37 Crealock #149 (RIP)
Seven Seas Cruising Association's (The Seven Seas Cruising Association Home) Seven Seas U (The Seven Seas Cruising Association Seven Seas U) had a Basic Weather webinar last night and Weather II scheduled next week I think. Members get a discount. I intend to listen to Weather II but missed Weather I. Actually, I think you may be able to replay Weather I for a small fee, too.
JDGreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 11:07   #3

Boat: Beneteau 393
Hi High Heels,

Not sure about online courses, but I just attended some free seminars that Lee Chesneau held at the Seattle Boat show. Very good speaker, and explains it so you can understand the topic being discussed. Perhaps you could see if he is a speaker near any boat shows near you? It might be a long shot (he is a WA local), but you never know...

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 11:27   #4

Thank you both! JD, I will definitely check out Seven Seas Assoc. and the weather webinars...I have been wanting to join the assoc. for a year now, so now I have more incentive.

Geo, I was lucky to see Lee speak at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show last year in a seminar I was taking. It truly inspired me to dig in. I had never even seen a 500 Mb analysis before, no idea what it was...Lee said, 'Give me an hour and you will have some idea how to read this at the end of my talk...' I thought, he better be a wizard, because that is a lot of info. to absorb that quickly...but he was right...at the end of the hour I grasped some key concepts and enjoyed learning it. He is a Great! speaker and teacher!

I would love to organize enough people here in N.C. to maybe warrant him coming to our neck of the woods to teach a course...we'll see...
Old 25-01-2011, 13:10   #5

Boat: Tartan 30
NauticED (nauticed.org) has a weather 'clinic'. I've taken it, and another course from them. I'm a fan... Its comprehensive and much easier to pay attention to than any book I've read. It covers everything from the basics to reading weather charts and predictions.

Highly recommended.
Old 25-01-2011, 13:41   #6

Boat: boat less ATM
All you wanted to know about predicting the weather AND as an added bonus, you get to naval (sic) gaze while you do it

http://weathersage.com/courses.pdf

You do have to buy her CD though. I bet you didn't see that coming.

"An astrologer since 1984, Carolyn began teaching astrology classes in 1988 and branched out into presenting workshops and lectures on various topics. She has traveled across the USA and in Europe and has participated with the full range of media. ...

Weathersage Astrometeorology was launched May 12, 2000 at 12:13:25pm EDT in Providence, RI. the website holds an abundance of information; the most recent addition is a page of tributes to past and present published astrometeorologists.

The website chart has Leo on the ascendant with the ruler, the Sun, next to Saturn in the 10th house, giving a solid base of work on which to build and achieve.

Venus in Taurus conjunct the midheaven was chosen to add beauty to the website. Sandra Rozhon, designer, fulfilled that desire. Uranus in Aquarius on the 7th cusp attracts many brilliant and scientifically oriented people. Carolyn’s natal Moon is on the Scorpio foundation, 15 degrees on the 4th house cusp. Mars, the ruler, is in Gemini, conjunct Carolyn’s Sun, insuring the flow of ideas and communication."

Now that we have got that cleared up ... GO SAILING
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 16:09   #7

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Lee has three day/weekend courses and five day in-depth programs that are great. Well worth the time investment.

In addition Starpath has some good courses. See Starpath Marine Weather Title Page . I have not taken the weather course, but if their celestial navigation course is an indication it's worth considering.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 10:08   #8

Boat: Tartan 30
Here's a free one.
Old 26-01-2011, 12:12   #9

Thank you all! Great resources...I have opened all of the links you have suggested and am taking a look now...Svstrider, Naval Gazing is extremely important in the learning process, and as far as going sailing NOW...buy our house and we will be on our way tomorrow ;0p

Thanks again!
Old 28-01-2011, 17:29   #10

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Frank Singleton's Weather and Sailing Pages / Franks-Weather | The Weather Window

The above might help, too.

Tags
weather