Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2015, 10:12   #1

Boat: Island Packet 35
Online sailing courses

I've been sailing 6 years, nicholson 31 and other than self tought through experiance/reading and helpfull guidance from well experianced sailors, I would like to continue my knowledge through a formal training course however it would have to be online.
So, regarding online courses, for example NauticaEd, has anyone taken one of these online courses specifically the Day skipper course and how would you rate it? this course is offered on line and states:
This course has been approved and endorsed by the RYA as the RYA Day Skipper theory course. Pass this course here online and the practical training/test at any RYA training center and you will receive the RYA Day Skipper Certificate. This makes you eligible to be awarded the ICC - International Certificate of Competence, required by European countries and signatories to United Nations Resolution 40 as the minimum requirements to sail in their waters.

nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 10:58   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Online sailing courses

I'm taking the Bareboat course right now.. I LOVE IT.. Its well layed out, provides good material and is a good value. $175 can't beat it. The navigation and rules of the road course is very good.

The other thing people don't realize is NauticEd is now recognized by Charter companies. So for $175 plus 50 days of experience you are certified for charter.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 04:50   #3

Thanks Travellerw, that is another reason to aquire some reconized certification, Bareboat chartering is in the furture plans at some point in time. So is that the "Bareboat Charter Master" course your taking?
Am i understanding correctly, on completion there is still an actual "practicle" test, meaning you have to give hands on in front of an instructor or is it all strictly an on-line certification based on the course material/test and your log book.
Old 30-01-2015, 09:23   #4

Yes I'm taking the Bareboat Charter Master course. Its actually made up of a bunch of individual courses so there is some duplication between the different modules.

No my understanding is there is no practicle part to the course (unless you want ICC), but you need to demonstrate 50 days of skipper time on a large boat (over 28ft). This is pretty easy for a cruiser as any day would be counted as a day. This works for most charter companies in the USA and Carribean. If you want to charter in the Med, then yes you need to complete a 1 day practicle to obtain the ICC rank.
Old 30-01-2015, 10:58   #5

Ok, so you will have the certificate for the course which is recognized by most north american charter companies and will also be recognized by ICC as part of their pre-requisite classroom theory, but would require a further practical to gain the ICC card, please correct me if wrong. Another question, for just obtaining the course certificate as you are doing, Can you use your past sailing log to satisfy the required daily hours?
Old 30-01-2015, 11:19   #6

Has anyone with sailing experience and a credit card ever been turned away from a charter?

I don't know how it works in the Mediterranean, but in the Caribbean they'll accept any evidence of any type of sailing class, or even just if you just tell them about the kind of sailing you've done.

Is the ICC really a requirement in Europe?

I think all knowledge and classes (and credentials) are good, but I'm just curious how strict the requirement is for this particular credential.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 11:26   #7

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I've taken advantage of some of the free stuff on NauticEd and learned a thing or two.

I think they should come up with a song for Day Skipper, it might bring in more clientele.
"Day Skipper, yeah..."
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 11:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
Ok, so you will have the certificate for the course which is recognized by most north american charter companies and will also be recognized by ICC as part of their pre-requisite classroom theory, but would require a further practical to gain the ICC card, please correct me if wrong. Another question, for just obtaining the course certificate as you are doing, Can you use your past sailing log to satisfy the required daily hours?
Exactly... And I don't believe there is a limit on how far back you can go. There are other achievements you can list, like overnights, days at anchor, ect.

Another nice thing the website provides is a sailing resume. It takes the courses you have completed and the experience you list, then puts it in a great printable format.

Like I said, for $175 you get a lot of value. The rules of the road course alone is invaluable.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-02-2015, 17:15   #9

Will seriously look into it based on your comments, sounds like its what I'm looking for to pass away the winter blues, got to love this forum!! thanks Travellerw
Old 02-02-2015, 07:00   #10

Boat: 2015 Leopard 44

Always exceptions, but as a rule companies in the Med require an ICC.

Some will accept a RYA Day Skipper only, but some it gets you the ICC anyways if you are an RYA member everyone tends to get it on spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-02-2015, 12:32   #11

Where can one go to get a list of countries hat require the ICC?

BJames777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 12:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJames777 View Post
Where can one go to get a list of countries hat require the ICC?

If you see a list like that, be careful, as I'm not sure any countries actually REQUIRE it.

The lists I've seen have been generated by organizations who provide that certification. Signing onto a resolution is different than creating laws.

That said, I'm sure it's an accepted credential, along with others.
Old 19-02-2015, 12:43   #13

Some google searches have shown it to be needed in some European inland waterways but so far nothing here in the USA or anywhere south of here where I go. Interesting reading about the UN resolution though.😳

BJames777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 12:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJames777 View Post
Some google searches have shown it to be needed in some European inland waterways but so far nothing here in the USA or anywhere south of here where I go. Interesting reading about the UN resolution though.😳

If you look at the source for those, it's generally either unlisted or an organization who provides the credential. I'll believe that more if I hear of someone who has the knowledge, sailing experience and any kind of credential, and is turned down for a charter.
Old 10-03-2015, 20:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
This makes you eligible to be awarded the ICC - International Certificate of Competence, required by European countries and signatories to United Nations Resolution 40 as the minimum requirements to sail in their waters.

I think you are talking about charter rentals, correct? Not private vessel? So as a US Citizen, if I show up with a paid for vessel, passports and a transatlantic crossing behind me, they will turn me away to sail in their waters?
jb cruzan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing