Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2016, 14:49   #1

OK it's So worth it!!!

Had a fun afternoon, went out to the sailing club to see what it was about.

Met a guy that was taking the cover off his 96 McGreggor, I offered to help and he was grateful so he didn't have to keep getting on and off the boat. Didn't really talk to him much you could tell he wanted to get it in the water before his buddy showed up.

Met another guy and his wife, SUPER nice people his wife kept trying to offer me drinks and food, I felt bad for declining just didn't feel right. LOL So we started talking and they have a 22' capri in the water. We talked about the different sailboats that's in the club, he even took me on a tour of the storage yard where members keep there boats. WOW, lots of nice boats. And it's a gated marina.

We talked about club memberships and I couldn't believe what all they offer. For 120 a season you have access to the private marina, access to the garage to work on your boat and storage sheds. The Marina is REALLY nice. Plus the best part of it they have 6-7 different dingy's like Lightings. They also have about 4 kayaks and 4 canoes and 2 small cats. All free to use to club members. Plus they offer lock storage yard and price is dependent on size of the boat. They also have a few slips

So as we where talking I mentioned lessons, and that I sent a voice mail to a club member about them. turns out he's the teacher I sent the voice mail to. LOL He offers 4, 3 hour lessons for 250 and uses his 22 Capri. We talked about start dates and mentioned July which was perfect for his schedule. He also gave me the contact info for the guy that's in charge of the snipe races if I wanted to try it out.

Didn't get to sail due to lack of wind LOL As we where talking other club members started showing up and he went back to his wife where she was setting up a picnic under the huge pavilion. I walked around for 10mins and felt like I was intruding because I wasn't a member, I don't think anyone would of cared if I stayed it was just a vibe is all.
superdad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 15:11   #2

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: OK it's So worth it!!!

Sounds like a good day, and a great place to learn to sail.
The feeling of being an outsider disappears quickly. As you spend more time there and build confidence in your own abilities it will feel like a second home.
Definitely take advantage of the classes and all the membership perks, like playing with different boats.
Getting to know some other members and going out on their boats will help build your knowledge too.
Before you know it, every weekend will be spent sailing!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 19:08   #3

Boat: Club Sailor; various

$20/hour for lessons sounds pretty cheap. Good for you
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 19:14   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Sounds like you hit paydirt. Uh maybe paywater? But that doesn't sound right.

Whatever, it sounds like the right place.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote