Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2016, 10:58   #1

Not sure its worth it

I have always wanted to learn to sail, problem is not a lot of places around here in the middle of the Midwest "Nebraska" to sail except on some small lakes.

There is a 20 hour course here that you take lessons and learn on a Catalina 22.

Not sure if its worth it, one lake has a marina with slips and is always full but I would think it would get old after a season of seeing and sailing the same lake over and over, round and round.

Just looking for some encouragement. Of course I don't need to buy a 22' I would be happy with a 14' or a little smaller that I could easily transport from lake to lake but something that small I think I could lean on my own or take a 2 hour "lean on your boat" lessons. Like a AMF or Lighting or something along the lines.
superdad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 11:10   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: not sure its worth it

Hell yeah it's worth it! Wait until a nice windy day and go rip that 22! If I lived that far away from the ocean, I would be out there every weekend to get a fix.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 11:12   #3

Don't have to worry about waiting for windy days here. LOL it's 20-30mph now.
Old 28-05-2016, 11:14   #4

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Get it!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 12:27   #5

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Yes do! I learned on a catalina 22. Awesome boat to learn on and a lot of fun! Once you are tired of the locallakes, get a decent day sailor, load her with camping gear and sail other waters. Your first boat us never your dream boat. But its a lot more fun to sail any where than having another beer and watching the grass grow.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 12:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdad88 View Post

Not sure if its worth it, one lake has a marina with slips and is always full but I would think it would get old after a season of seeing and sailing the same lake over and over, round and round.
Many of us who aren't wild girdlers sail out of the same slips, year after year.

It never gets old, 'cuz every sail is different. It's being ON the boat. Many of us have repeatedly posted the "Journey vs destination" quote, as well as "When you're on the boat, you're there" and working on the boat and learning about it is part of the deal.

We had a Catalina 22 in the 80s and loved it. Trailered it up toe a big lake for the summers in the water, winter back to the Bay and sailed off the trailer.

Good times.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 12:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Yes do! I learned on a catalina 22. Awesome boat to learn on and a lot of fun! Once you are tired of the locallakes, get a decent day sailor, load her with camping gear and sail other waters. Your first boat us never your dream boat. But its a lot more fun to sail any where than having another beer and watching the grass grow.
This stuck me funny, because I was thinking of a day sailor for my first boat and instead of going the full blown lesson route. Buying a cheap day sailor and trailer it to different lakes around here.

I can take lessons on my boat for 35/hour.
Old 28-05-2016, 12:53   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

What are you waiting for ?
Old 28-05-2016, 13:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
What are you waiting for ?
Well time, LOL I am having major surgery on 6/14 and stuck in the hospital for at least a week then home recovering. So I was looking at starting first part of July.

I do like the Catalina 22, I was first on one 20 years ago and fell in love. And I have always had this dream of owning one and sailing it around the local lakes and spending a weekend on one, sailing, fishing and swimming. I have been looking on line but of course I have NO clue what I am looking at. I mean its a boat with a sail LOL LOL

I do plan on buying the book they recommend for the class and reading it while I am bored to tears in the hospital.

The book is US Sailing Association Certification Series: Basic Keelboat textbook
Old 28-05-2016, 14:00   #10

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Thats a good book but its dry dry dry...
To get up to speed with sailing basics without boring yourself to tears try sailing for dummies. It will be a little lighter on your brain while you recover but still has great info. Buy the other book too because its more comprehensive.

Do take the class. You will learn a lot. But after that first class just buy a nice day sailor, catalina 22 is great but there are lots of good boats for little money. Getting a boat you can sleep on is a wonderful way to go. We had a catalina 22 with drop keel and pop top, we took that girl to lake powel for a week nd had a blast.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 14:02   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Superdad88,

You're right, it's a little silly to decide right now. If you're like me, you're quite aware that surgery might kill you.

Still, a little daysailer can be a lot of fun, and ime, Stu Jackson is right, each sail is different, and it'll take you quite a while before you'll be able to accurately predict all the puffs and lulls and their strengths for each level of breeze and each bit of geography on the lake and especially lakes, all the variables expand fast. If you're into it, you won't be bored, more like aggroed at yourself for getting caught in one particular "hole," or proud that you didn't.

So, I'd think you might like the idea of something fun to look forward to, post surgery, so maybe you give it a good think. Maybe you deserve to have some fun, when the cutting is over. I hope so.

Good luck with it.

Ann (who's survived 10 major surgeries in the last 20 yrs.), long term cruiser
Old 28-05-2016, 14:08   #12

I'll look into both books, living around here sailboats are cheap. I looked at a real nice and clean capri 22 for 2K. up to one I saw for 6K Of course again no idea what to look for or at.

The course is Basic Keelboat 20-Hour Certification Course, cost 500, and once I have taken the class I can rent either a 22' Spindrift or a 22' Capri.
Old 29-05-2016, 07:27   #13

Boat: Valiant 40

You raise very valid points about sailing on a lake. We have a small catamaran that we have used for lake sailing, and for the past ten years have had a blue water cruiser. I took all of the classes and became ASA certified in sailing and cruising with the dream of taking a year long cruise. Have not done it yet,....there are always family concerns and obligations. We do week long cruises and have a lovely time at anchor. In a nutshell, it all depends on your personality type as to whether it will be "worth it". I am very glad that I know how to sail, as it provides great vacation options, even without your own boat. My husband is the type that can go back and forth all day on a a lake and not get bored. Me,...not so much!! I am ready to sell the big boat and move on to other land adventures (I will add that if you have children though, it is a good learning experience for them to understand sailing. It does open social avenues and outdoor adventures connecting with the water.)
sheilam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 08:04   #14
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

You combine a vacation with a sailing school. 5 day course along the coast of florida, the great lakes, gulf of Mexico might be helpful as well as a couple of days on either end of the sailing course.
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 08:11   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

whether or not it is worth it depends on you and your preferences.
no one can tell you yes it is worth it, or no it is not, as you are the only you here.
what do you think--you havent sailed much , and you havent become hooked on the feeling.
once you find someone to help you learn and become involved, should this be your favorite hobby, you will be able to know what it is you really seek. then there will be no question.
funny how that works.
i learned sailing by sailing same area in a gaff rigged classic sloop repeatedly from 1955-1968. no it never became routine, as each time is different.
no it never became boring, as every time there is something different or new--even in same season.. go figger.
what interests me will not necessarily interest you.
find someone in the area who wants to sail-- take a few trips out on the lake with em to determine your dire need to sail.
once you have determined you do have that need, then find a used dinghy sailing boat--not too expensive to maintain, and go play.
if you find it boring, go seek a different hobby.
have fun. life is way too short not to be having fun.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote