Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2015, 06:41   #31

Boat: Pearson 530
Thumbs up Re: NEW USCG Documentation fee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Probably only interested in the ones with guns

Otherwise I can just heard the govt say to someone like North Korea "You better straighten out or we are to going to commandeer a bunch of sailboats and sail them right up you ass!"
Maybe they have read this forum and know the condition of the fleet held together with duck tape and wire. Our biggest threat is that we could pump out in their harbor.
Old 24-05-2015, 07:06   #32

Boat: Chris-Craft Carribean 35'
Re: NEW USCG Documentation fee?

My great grandfather's boat was commandeered in WW2. It was converted to coastal patrol looking for suspicious Japanese vessles.
Capt. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 07:34   #33

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Well the don't tread on me crowd is making this a tax issue, but this isn't a tax. It's a fee. That means boaters pay for the service rather than taxpayers. Seems reasonable to me - someone has to pay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 07:40   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post

Also however small and incremental this tax, especially if raised steadily, will get more boats to fall out of federal documentation and into states' registration and tax jaws.
Uhm, in case you haven't been looking, that's already happened. You could do a search here on "FL boat registrations" for starters.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 10:36   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
A trillion here, a trillion there and pretty soon you start talking real money.

Whoever thinks that the money grab will stop at $26 annual documenting fee - I have a bridge to sell you.

Also however small and incremental this tax, especially if raised steadily, will get more boats to fall out of federal documentation and into states' registration and tax jaws.
Actually it won't do that you already have to register the vessel in your home state and show the registration sticker just don't have to show state registration number.
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 13:40   #36

The only issue I have with it is the inefficency of the system. I understand it costs money to run the database and that must come from somewhere. Renewal should be online, a 5 minute form to fill out and check once every 5yrs for maybe $5.

As far as the Govt. commandeering your boat, who really thinks in time of war, they can't take your state registered boat?

Also, someone implied it gets you out of state registration fees and in most cases that is not true. Most states, still want thier registration fee, you just won't post thier numbers on the bow.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 17:31   #37

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

This is an interesting story of a schooner acquired by the U.S. Navy during WWII and later acquired by actor Errol Flynn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Zaca_(IX-73)
Old 24-05-2015, 18:45   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It never seemed right it was free. Why should non boaters be funding the process.

BTW - if you can not afford this small fee you better rethink boating.
HMMMMMMM why should non-boaters fund NOAA mapping? Why should I fund colleges? This premise doesn't cut it unless you are willing to end ALL government stipends/subsidies for everything.

The CG Document is your title when traveling abroad. Few foreign governments will accept your state registration as proof of ownership. That said, why do we need a new title every year? Want to save money - document once, that's it! If the boat changes ownership - new title. What if the states figured out they could nick us for a new car title every year? (Oops - Shhhhhhhh)

Documentation used to get you out of state registration and title and transfer sales taxes. Not so anywhere now. I think - maybe Delaware? Ours costs us 550 in Michigan for the state water use sticker. We pay general sales tax on the transfer when we buy a new or used boat. I asked why my vessel sticker was so high. I only pay about 17 on my Jon boat. I was told that bigger boats cause more wear & tear on the state trailer launch facilities and a few equally absurd & lame excuses. (note that we cannot get within 100 yards of most launch sites & the boat sits in a private marina)
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 10:27   #39

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

There is no "Free Lunch!" Soldiers understand everything has a cost, even though not out of their pockets, maybe just their arse!

My issue is with mis-management. The cashier may be taking in the booty for the entity, but just surviving financially themselves.

How can one justify a seven figure income for someone who sits back and allows lesser paid individuals to do the job.

"Oh, you're in the click, let me create a position for you, which will allow you to show up, when you feel like it. Oh, and the taxpayers can eat it!"
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 11:02   #40
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

FREE LUNCH!!???? there NEVER was a free lunch for documentation. initial fee is 85 usd which with a doc service is 270 usd. that aint free, baby.
was 85 usd to initially document the boats and we were advised it is a one time in life fee.
now every year more... so 26 dollars annually?! and no online method??
online to have em snail mail to ye a form you fill out and snail mail into the renewal center. ok..
so tell me how this is better for the cruising boater.
and what happened to our 85 usd initial fee that was spozedly forever.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 14:28   #41

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

LOL Yea right, a life time once payment to a corrupted government???? no way will they ever tell you the true place the funds went... What needs to be done is all boaters, small and large just to stop registering their vessels till they honor the one time fee and cancel all new taxes that were put on this yr. Its rediculise that they get to call it a , Admin fee, Filing Fee, etc.. Hell just for showing up to their office and my computer for online filing i/weshould deduct that fee and keep it our selves.
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 15:27   #42

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Let's not forget the land lubbers paying for, "Rain water run off," in drought stricken areas of the U.S., by their local water supplier.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men