Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2015, 12:00   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: NEW USCG Documentation fee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
I thought there was always a fee for registration but I could be just getting forgetful. Better fees tied to a service then just bumping up the income/sales taxes. The days of "free" service for anything are long gone.
There is a difference here you are thinking of state registration and yes they have charged a fee for as long as they have required registration however USCG documentation is a different critter and they just started charging a ( in my opinion nominal ) fee for that
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 12:03   #17

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

Lets face this, The reason why all states raise taxes are for their, i say it again, THEIR pay raise, retirement, homes and property, there's probably more but i think whats listed is good. I been living in WA state since 89, and I've read from locale papers on how some governors, mayors, city officials paid for by citizens, up grades on summer homes, vacation spots, new furniture, etc. They asked for increases in a school tax many times over and some times twice in a year, only to have a pay increase, road projects. Well about 10 yrs ago i was fed up with all these new taxes then and really pissed for this years registration for boat and vehicle taxes. Way out,
I paid last yr, for car 43.50 this yr 75.50. There are two taxes that is double taxation. My boat is now 25.25 last yr was 21,75. There are two new taxes for the same tax, Double taxation.
For CG Documentation, was free, and as you say, you have to pay, what would they call this tax? ADMIN FEE? all US residents, shold cost nothing to get back into our own country,
BY the way, I vote all of the tax monger's out of office every election day and NO on new taxes. Take a pay cut
For as whether or not you should be able to pay if you own a boat or give up boating, that's not the issue. TAXES are.. i bet you vote for all tax increases
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 13:20   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cc45 what was the new addition for you on boat registration it cost me 25.25 last year as well as this year the thing about it that really chaps my hide is the $6 they charge for the derelict vessel removal fund. A friend of mine sold his boat the new ppl didn't transfer title and it was eventually removed as a derelict and my friend recieved the bill for the removal and disposal of it. That to me says double dipping. And how about the state legislature giving themselves an 11% pay raise while at the same time not even trying to properly fund education
Old 23-05-2015, 13:58   #19
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

buncha whiners. Try living outside the US as a US citizen and resident of another country. We pay a higher percentage federal income tax, and yet we get NOTHING back for that. No Coast Guard, no military, no federal benefits at all for our tax dollars. So we're sending thousands of dollars to the US government every year, and get to pay a registration fee on the USCG on top of it. Money for nothing..
Old 23-05-2015, 14:24   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In all reality most cruisers spend more on booze in one night in a bar than the renual fee is its only 26 bucks.
Old 23-05-2015, 15:09   #21

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
I thought there was always a fee for registration but I could be just getting forgetful. Better fees tied to a service then just bumping up the income/sales taxes. The days of "free" service for anything are long gone.

I'm just glad we don't get all the services we pay for:

Interesting bringing up government shared ownership. Government owns 40% of my vessel for times of war. Good scheme when you consider the 1000's of small craft that evacuated 330,000 troops off the Dunkirk Beaches and in Australia vessels are required to report suspicious activity relating to poaching of exotic animals. Probably many other instances for government involvement.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 15:18   #22

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

Hi yes your right. They keep coming up with new names for same tax.
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 15:23   #23

Boat: CLC Skerry

I'm pretty sure the government would not want any boat that I can actually afford.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 15:56   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It never seemed right it was free. Why should non boaters be funding the process.
??? For the same reason people who don't have kids pay school taxes, people who don't have fires pay firefighters and people who don't have cars pay for roads, among other things.

This "new" concept of "fees" would be great IF and only if our taxes come DOWN.

Do you see THAT ever happening? Unless you're part of the 1% that is...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 21:18   #25

4 trillion dollars are paid to the U.S. every year in fees and permits
navy davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 04:22   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy davy View Post
4 trillion dollars are paid to the U.S. every year in fees and permits
A trillion here, a trillion there and pretty soon you start talking real money.

Whoever thinks that the money grab will stop at $26 annual documenting fee - I have a bridge to sell you. This has been going on since the inception of the Federal 1% income tax which was supposed to be a limited World War I time measure to be paid by only those earning $1mil or more per year (which was probably the equivalent of $50-100mil per year in today's dollars). Tell me how that one came out.

Also however small and incremental this tax, especially if raised steadily, will get more boats to fall out of federal documentation and into states' registration and tax jaws.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 04:57   #27
CLOD

Boat: none

I've been amazed at the number of anti government people on CF. they of course are free to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-05-2015, 05:05   #28

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

My renewal last year was just before the fee was instituted. I can live with the fee if some of the fee goes to creating an online renewal system. Sending a check once a year is soooo 20th century. Kinda difficult sometimes when cruising.
Old 24-05-2015, 05:25   #29
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I've been amazed at the number of anti government people on CF. they of course are free to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
No, actually, they are NOT free to leave. The US government chases it's citizens to the end of the earth for taxes. And if they want to renounce their citizenship, that's not free either. They have to pay off the US government to get out of it.

And each of the last several years has set a new record of US citizens doing so.
Old 24-05-2015, 05:26   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

renewal used to be free--- but the initial price for documentation, which was 85 usd was spozed to pay for renewals as well as initial documentation.. and so we have now a nother fee.
every year.
yup
26 usd annually plus late fee 5 usd plus a copy fee of 4 usd if you wish a copy of your document for other places you may cruise, and a fee for changing address and a fee for ... yada yada yada/.....and so it goes.
a 5 yr doc would be waaay tooo convenient for those of us who actually do cruise outside usa.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men