Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2019, 09:10   #1

Never been on a sailboat before

Hi, the title speaks for itself. I've never been on a sailboat before and the only time I've been on open water was years ago on a halibut charter out of Homer, AK and all I did was puke my guts out

Having said that, I've always had a fascination of boats and enjoy watching sailing videos. My wife and I are moving from CO to San Antonio, TX and I wanted to take a sailing class and see what it's like. I found this site-

Learn to Sail Texas in Corpus Christi, Sailing Lessons, Classes and Sailboat Delivery

- for a class down in Corpus Christi (only about a 2 hour drive), does anyone know if this would be a good place to learn or would it be worth it to drive a bit further to Galveston or some other place that has a good school?

Thanks in advance!
jim76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 09:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Never been on a sailboat before

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jim.
Learn to Sail Texas in Corpus Christi is affiliated with the American Sailing Association (ASA).
➥ https://asa.com/schools/texas/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoJiy-MfS4QIVhMVkCh0zVgsQEAAYAyAAEgJAiPD_BwE

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 10:07   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I don't know anything specifically about the school in Corpus, but Corpus is a good place to learn to sail. There is a wide open bay to concentrate on the maneuvers and not worry about traffic.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 06:27   #4

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim76 View Post
Hi, the title speaks for itself. I've never been on a sailboat before and the only time I've been on open water was years ago on a halibut charter out of Homer, AK and all I did was puke my guts out

Having said that, I've always had a fascination of boats and enjoy watching sailing videos. My wife and I are moving from CO to San Antonio, TX and I wanted to take a sailing class and see what it's like. I found this site-

Learn to Sail Texas in Corpus Christi, Sailing Lessons, Classes and Sailboat Delivery

- for a class down in Corpus Christi (only about a 2 hour drive), does anyone know if this would be a good place to learn or would it be worth it to drive a bit further to Galveston or some other place that has a good school?

Thanks in advance!
Find an ASA sailing school.
ASA schools insure that your get structured training and also recongized by other sailing schools or authorities.

Uncle Bob might be a good sailor but is he a good teacher. Certified schools make sure that the instructors are qualified and good teachers.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat, sail, boat