Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2010, 14:42   #1

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Mexican Boat License ?

I have just been wading through the internet to see if there such a thing as a
mexican sailboat/recreational boat license certification? None of my keywords produce a hit. I tried the navy site even yahoo answers but come up with a blank . As some of you know my partner is doing his helmsmans certificate right now for me to learn from him. That still holds but I would like to see if there is any benefit to be gained from holding a mexican "certificate" as well . Anyone ever seen one/ heard of one? Know who is responsible for the issue if it exists? Thanks in advance.
Adax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 16:01   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 50
No paper needed

I think there is no paperwork needed until you get there. Check out the Baja Ha Ha guide for first timers to Mexico at:

Baja Ha-Ha Cruisers Rally: Sailing from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas
Damiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 18:19   #3

Never heard of such a thing. You just need your registration, passport and a crew list....maybe some other simple stuff. Mexico is easy. A smile will make up for most any missing paperwork. Yes, see the Ha-Ha online guide for a complete reference.

I caught a Port Capitan just as he was locking up for lunch. He said "You don't need the clearance, just tell the next Port Captain that I didn't have time." Worked fine.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 18:53   #4

Thanks for your answers Damiana and Daddle. Very interesting that site but I think I did not make my question clear .

In the US you can get a USGC captain's license or a sixpack license to take your boat into international waters. In Argentina you need a helmsmans license just to even be able to take your boat away from the marina.
What I am wondering is if there is a Mexican equivalent you can study for,take an exam that results in a neat little permit that says you are qualified to take boats out on the water or the open sea.
I have a suspicion that Mexico has only got commercial captain´s permits and that pleasure boaters go without, the same as in most of the US, but it is just a guess.
Old 20-07-2010, 19:08   #5

You want to take paying passengers? Yes, you probably need something. For chartering I'm sure it's up to the charter company, and very relaxed. For pleasure nothing is needed in the US or Mexico or most any other country.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 19:09   #6

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Quote:
In the US you can get a USGC captain's license or a sixpack license to take your boat into international waters...
What I am wondering is if there is a Mexican equivalent you can study for,take an exam that results in a neat little permit that says you are qualified to take boats out on the water or the open sea.
I have a suspicion that Mexico has only got commercial captain´s permits and that pleasure boaters go without...
I am a US citizen and have sailed in and out of the US on my boat and skippering other boats and I have never had a USGS license - I guess I should go into hiding...
As far as I can tell, after nine years in Mexico, is that there is no exam or certificate or permit for recreational boating, other than a temporary import permit so that you don't have to pay import fees on your boat which is a fiscal, not performance, recommendation.

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 19:43   #7

Great thanks Michael . I had a feeling that would be the case.
Daddle,no no paying passengers . Just a question to see if while resident here I could do something useful with my time. I am here selling my house which is not selling and I am sitting here twiddling my thumbs .So I had the glorious idea that if similar thing existed I could possible get credit on the base of it once in Argentina . Argentina has a strict system that an Argentine flagged vessel must have a certified helmsman aboard. My partner,Kumgang, will have one shortly so mine will really only be back up .
Old 20-07-2010, 20:22   #8

I've had a commerical 100 ton sail & power for over 20 years in the US. Nothing like it that I know of in Mexico that I know of. Have never been asked for my lic there. I know in the Bahamas you can get into big trouble trying to do charter work with or with out a lic.
No rec boat license needed that I know of.....
Captain Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 20:31   #9

Thanks for that confirmation, Captain Vic and welcome to the forum.
Old 20-07-2010, 20:40   #10
cruiser

Not all countries or nationalities beg for government interference in their daily lives.
Some countries don't consider people messing around in their boats a major national security threat, worth the expense of a massive bureaucracy, draining funds from useful things.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 13:11   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
the only licensure i know of for boats that mexico had was the fishing licensure--conapesca will answer your questions. you HAVE to have one of these BEFORE you bring fishing equipment into mexican waters. they take poaching very very seriously--and it takes 6 months to get the license online--san diego downtown is the only place to get these in the usa. if you know anyone who lives there / here, then send them to get it for you so it only takes 5 min.. look up conapesca online and see the current fees. mine were nearly 100dollars for 2 people for one year.. each crew member needs one. no longer needed for boat or dinks,. as used to be the case.
other than that--i know of no licensure required for mexican waters and i have been boarded by the mexican navy in their waters--this is to be expected, they will look for fishing equipment and drugs and firearms. bring none of those. this will be reinforced in downwind marine's cruiser guide for the baja haha and southbound sailors....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 21:32   #12

Zeehag ,thanks for that .Useful tips. good to know everyone is in agreement that no such license exists. I will scratch it off my to do list then.
Old 23-07-2010, 05:55   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
They will look for fishing equipment and drugs and firearms. Bring none of those. This will be reinforced in Downwind Marine's cruiser guide for the baja haha and southbound sailors....
Downwind Marine’s Cruising Guide:
http://www.downwindmarine.com/downlo...ngdownwind.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 06:26   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
That's a strange use of the term "helmsman". On a ship all a helmsman needs to know is how to steer a course and his rudder commands. No other knowledge is necessary.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 07:24   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I'm sure they can be had for a "fee".

Tags
license