Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 09:09   #16

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Licensing requirement for a charter company

Many thanks to all who responded to my question.
To PHD., I would be chartering the vessel myself from a local charter company, sharing the cost with the other folks and not charging them for driving the boat. I will check with the charter company, probably Moorings at this point, to ensure there are not any snags with local authorities where we might be cruising although, I believe the group wants to stay in the US Virgin Islands.
To all, as I have never chartered a vessel before, this will be my first time and want it to be a good experience for all. My partner and I lived aboard our Transpac 49 the our DeFever 54 in San Diego and cruised them both as far north as Desolation Sound in the PNW and to the Sea of Cortez for a couple of years in the south over a 12 year period so I am very comfortable cruising off shore as well as coastal waters.
To 38South, no worries with the thread drift... CF is the place to go to get questions answered and learn. Safe travels!
My USCG Masters license was more to satisfy insurance companies when I was running deliveries on the west coast than anything else. When I retired it didn't make sense to recert it, so I let it lapse. I was glad I had it the couple of times I was stopped by Mexican naval vessels in Mexican waters who were checking everyone afloat off Cedros Island once and Ensenada another time, both times delivering 100 footers, one north, the other south.
Thanks again to all who responded... Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, men