Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2014, 16:36   #1

Boat: Sun Odyssey 43
licenses

What type a license do I have to get to be able to own (and sail on) an American flag sailboat (43 feet)outside the USA?
If I purchase a boat in Europe register in USA (my citizenship) If I sail in Europe, which licenses will I need?
Thank you
manuaruba05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 21:02   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: licenses

None.

Sent from my SCH-I200PP using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 21:15   #3

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Zip, zilch and nothing.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 21:41   #4

Boat: Sun Odyssey 43

Thank you gentlemen, I am reading on all the websites where Croatia requires ICC so I was worry a bit, I knew that the Flag on the vessel prevail and France and USA have not adopted the Resolution 40. Still reading the web Croatia requires ICC. I do not charter a boat I will sail on my us flag vessel why should I need ICC (I have sailed on my dad and brother sailboat (of course many year sago) but keep the "pied marin" as we say in France.
Any way thank you for your answers
Sincerely,
manuaruba05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 23:49   #5

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Most places honor the requirements of your home country, but some specific locales have special requirements, such as (I believe CNEV) for the canals of France.
Old 29-12-2014, 21:24   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuaruba05 View Post
Thank you gentlemen, I am reading on all the websites where Croatia requires ICC so I was worry a bit, I knew that the Flag on the vessel prevail and France and USA have not adopted the Resolution 40. Still reading the web Croatia requires ICC. I do not charter a boat I will sail on my us flag vessel why should I need ICC (I have sailed on my dad and brother sailboat (of course many year sago) but keep the "pied marin" as we say in France.
Sincerely,
You need an ICC period. Rules have changed since your Dads boat. Your US boat is good in US waters without one. USA hasn't adopted the resolution, but that's for US waters. When your in Croatia you abide by there rules. Get an ICC before you go.
Old 29-12-2014, 21:51   #7
Marine Service Provider

First of all you can not Flag a vessel in the Country in which it is registered, unless you are a citizen of that country.

So a non citizen, by convention, can not flag a vessel in a country to which he/her is not a citizen.

So by international convention, recognized you will need to Flag in your home country, unless it's by corporation, then you will need, a legion of admiratly attorneys to accomplish that what you desire.

What are your needs?

Lloyd

Quote:
Sincerely,
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 22:08   #8

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

What is this ICC? And what is involved in getting one.

OP, come to Australia, great fauna, flora, great sailing destinations, friendly people, lots of beer, great food.

Our politicians are dicks, but you won't have anything to do with them and there are lots of bogans, but there land lubbers usually.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 22:16   #9
Marine Service Provider

Rustic,

Ive been there on more then 1 occasion, they all required a VISA, and I'm not talking Master-Charge.

I love AU , I almost bought a house at Surfers, 1992, maybe the biggest mistake of my life.?

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
What is this ICC? And what is involved in getting one.

OP, come to Australia, great fauna, flora, great sailing destinations, friendly people, lots of beer, great food.

Our politicians are dicks, but you won't have anything to do with them and there are lots of bogans, but there land lubbers usually.
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 22:28   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Ive been there on more then 1 occasion, they all required a VISA, and I'm not talking Master-Charge.
Visa, yes, ICC, no!

If competence was a requirement for operating a boat here, the waterways would be much less crowded!

Jim
Old 29-12-2014, 23:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
Rustic,

I love AU , I almost bought a house at Surfers, 1992, maybe the biggest mistake of my life.?

Lloyd
If your from the U.S. getting a Visa is not hard.

Ummm, though come to think of it, our government ain't to keen on issuing visa's if your coming by boat.
Old 30-12-2014, 01:47   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Sincerely,

Firstly. Croatia does NOT require an ICC , what is does require is that the skipper has some formal sailing qualification and its accepts a wide variety of such qualifications , including ASA , RYA etc including the ICC.

the flag of the vessel doesn't protect you from the application of local laws. Your boat is not a diplomatic property. Its is not the " soil " of your country. You are subject to ALL local laws that apply , even if it seems they are not enforced.

The adoption or otherwise of resolution 40 does not prevent the issuing or recognition of the ICC. Many countries avoided signing it because they felt their own national regulations were or a higher standard ( or they had no licensing requirements all )

Dave
Old 30-12-2014, 01:51   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
First of all you can not Flag a vessel in the Country in which it is registered, unless you are a citizen of that country.

So a non citizen, by convention, can not flag a vessel in a country to which he/her is not a citizen.

So by international convention, recognized you will need to Flag in your home country, unless it's by corporation, then you will need, a legion of admiratly attorneys to accomplish that what you desire.

What are your needs?

Lloyd

This is not true on general. Many countries allows foreign registries. ( you have heard of a flag of convienence) even in Europe it's not as you state in all registries

As for company incorporation , I can register a company online , print put its articles and memo etc and register with the flag authorities with no more hassle then a private registration. No lawyers needed at all.

The tax , maintaining books etc of a standard company are another issue all together

Dave
Old 30-12-2014, 02:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
This is not true on general. Many countries allows foreign registries. ( you have heard of a flag of convienence) even in Europe it's not as you state in all registries

As for company incorporation , I can register a company online , print put its articles and memo etc and register with the flag authorities with no more hassle then a private registration. No lawyers needed at all.

The tax , maintaining books etc of a standard company are another issue all together

Dave
I could be wrong but I think flyingcloud was referring to recreational vessels, which he's correct you can't register in another country. The 'flag of conveniences' are used with company shipping.
Old 30-12-2014, 02:30   #15
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I could be wrong but I think flyingcloud was referring to recreational vessels, which he's correct you can't register in another country. The 'flag of conveniences' are used with company shipping.

Nope in most countries leisure vessel registry is available to all vessels, even where a leisure vessel registry is available.

There is no general law that you must be a citizen to register a boat. Yes some countries have such a requirement but the reality is much more varied.

Dave

Tags
license